Benq XL2730Z vs modern IPS

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
hisbluness

Benq XL2730Z vs modern IPS

Post by hisbluness » 30 May 2021, 04:04

Hi everyone,

long time lurker here. I have a question regarding what I can expect of modern IPS panels.
I've owned a Benq XL2730Z for years and I am happy with its gaming performance in FPS games. However, due to recent changes I work from home more often and doing office work on this for longer periods is not very enjoyable. Maybe because of the colors or the overall picture quality - it's just stressful.

I want to demote the Benq to a secondary monitor and buy something that can be used for both gaming and office, and from what I've read modern IPS panels could solve that, potentially.
Thus, I ordered a Dell S2721DGF and have been comparing it to the Benq the past days.

Colors and overall quality are really good and much nicer than the Benq, however I was pretty disappointed when it comes to FPS games. On paper this should be really good but comparing the two directly, the Benq is much, much smoother when it comes to motion. It just feels quicker, thus less choppy in motion. Even my wife (as someone who isn't gaming and couldn't care less) sees a distinct difference doing the UFO test and prefers the Benq every time. It is less aparent in desktop use but still noticable, e.g. when scrolling pages.

So my question is, what can I expect of current panels? Is there something that will outperform the Benq in all regards? I'm kind of limited to 1440p (no way going back to FHD) but I dont think 240hz makes much sense as I cannot reliably get the frames in most of the games I play (except maybe CSGO). Did I buy "too cheap" and need a better IPS panel or will there still be areas in which a good modern panel is worse than the TN of the Benq?

The alterantive would be opting for a pure office monitor and finding some sort of desk arrangement to move tot he Benq for gaming, which is kind of my last resort.

I'm happy to hear your thoughts.
Thanks!
blu

(of course I have tested several of the response settings and enabled Gsync, etc.)