What is causing stutter with a VRR screen below 60fps

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Squall1er

Re: What is causing stutter with a VRR screen below 60fps

Post by Squall1er » 26 Mar 2024, 18:13

I don't know.

I do whatever it need to be always above 60FPS. And usually I don't bother me having big fluctuation of FPS

I cannot tell when i'm around this or this range of framerate, but for sure every time I get below 60fps, I immedialty feel it get laggy.

Spending the day at 60fps, no problem, not buttery smooth but good enough no big deal at all.
Framerate go down to 59? Please kill me it's horrible

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 Mar 2024, 08:48

Squall1er wrote:
26 Mar 2024, 18:13
Spending the day at 60fps, no problem, not buttery smooth but good enough no big deal at all.
Framerate go down to 59? Please kill me it's horrible

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Are you using an FPS limiter set to 60? If the game falls below 60, that just means either GPU or CPU can't keep up. If it's the GPU, there will be more lag (unless the game supports Nvidia Reflex in which case enable that.) Setting low latency mode to "ultra" in the nvidia panel might also help. The new Reflex limiter mode in RTSS might also help in games that don't natively support Reflex (with some games it helps, with others it doesn't.)

If it's the CPU that's bottlenecking the frame rate, then there might be some stutter (depending on how well the game handles that.) Not fixable.

However, if you set an FPS limit of 59 and you still see this behavior, then it means your display is not handling VRR correctly. Some displays are good at it, some are bad.

Also, just to make sure: check if the game actually runs at the maximum refresh rate of your monitor when using g-sync. G-sync at 60Hz will have issues. I think your monitor is 100Hz, so make sure the game actually runs in 100Hz mode.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Squall1er

Post by Squall1er » 01 Apr 2024, 15:32

No I am not using a FPS limit at 60fps.
CPU is 7800x3D so it should not limit any GPU out there. And the 3090 is not a bad GPU neither^^

I just meant, I could set a limit to 60fps and feel fine, but once it's 59, it's not smooth anymore.

Maybe monitor handle G-sync differently, but I had a Z35p which was kinda the flagship of G-sync back then, and now a QD OLED, should be fine too, even with free-sync.

And don't worry, I run the monitor at its max frequency, and I use the recommand settings of this very website on how to configure G-sync.
But maybe you are right, I made something wrong.

-Monitor set at max refresh rate
-V-sync + Reflex enable on control panel
-In games no V-sync, Fps limit or triple buffering or else
-FPS limit with riva tuner at 162fps

It should be alright since I have no tearing in game, it's been years now.

I don't know