Imagen retention when open CMD on Lenovo Y-25 240Hz IPS

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Truenozz

Imagen retention when open CMD on Lenovo Y-25 240Hz IPS

Post by Truenozz » 31 May 2021, 15:07

Hey there,

A couple of months ago I bought a Lenovo Y-25, a 240Hz IPS monitor. Since then, I noticed that when I open the CMD, the terminal of Windows, my screen automatically presents some image retention.

If I close the CMD instantly the problem disappears, but if I keep the CMD open, the problem gets worse, the image retention persists and I'm forced to put some of these "LCD dead pixel tests" videos in YouTube or the monitor will stay with the image retention even after waiting for hours.

Until now, I've been dealing with the issue opening the CMD in my other screen, but I wanted to expose the problem in the forum just to see if anybody can figure out a solution. It is weird, because with Windows PowerShell or the terminals that are embedded in IDE (such as IDEA IntelliJ or Sublime with the Terminal plugin) it doesn't happen, but when I open a normal CMD or the WSL terminal, the image retention appears. This is reason I can't see the pattern in this behaviour, why the Powershell is OK and the CMD not? :?

Looking forward to read your opinion.

Thanks!
Last edited by Truenozz on 10 Jun 2021, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.

Truenozz

Re: Imagen retention when open CMD on Lenovo Y-25

Post by Truenozz » 09 Jun 2021, 04:03

I just took some pictures in order to show the problem itself. In these pictures the image retention is hardly appreciate, in real life you can feel it more.

Here, you can see what happens when I open a CMD:

See attachments, img1.jpg

Here, when I close it, you can see that stills some problems in the top of the Google Chrome's tab name:
See attachments, img2.jpg

Finally, after waiting a few seconds, it comes back to normal:
[img]https://i.gyazo.com/a805479f2b168a6349d ... e40d73.jpg
See attachments, img3.jpg

Any clues? Do you think I should return the monitor and look for alternatives?

Thanks!
Attachments
Normal monitor status
Normal monitor status
img3.jpg (551.28 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
After closing CMD
After closing CMD
img2.jpg (378.81 KiB) Viewed 1608 times
With CMD Opened
With CMD Opened
img1.jpg (410.31 KiB) Viewed 1608 times

CorvusCorax

Re: Imagen retention when open CMD on Lenovo Y-25 240Hz IPS

Post by CorvusCorax » 11 Jun 2021, 08:30

Similiar problem occurs in Dell AW2521HF. It's something about output color format. Try to switch to YCBRC444 in graphic card panel for testing. In my case (with Dell) the solution is to increase/decrease contrast by 1, but it only helps for particular situation. I use to live with that.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Imagen retention when open CMD on Lenovo Y-25 240Hz IPS

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Jun 2021, 13:14

I attribute this not-fully-diagnosed firmware bugs, and this is partially why I am a huge advocate of firmware-upgradeable gaming monitors.

Inversion algorithms in the firmware is designed to prevent this, but sometimes certain modes make it less effective, or 'accidentally' disables the protective inversion algorithm during certain conditions (without being revealed by the firmware testers), causing image retention to occur on the LCD.

Why Image Retention / Burn-In Sometimes Occur On LCDs

As for the solution, it depends. You can try to squash the color gamut by raising black levels by 1 or 2 pixel-color-levels, since complete black (RGB(0,0,0) usually is the culprit triggering a specific kind of firmware bug related to burn in). So try narrowing your color range a bit by reducing contrast a smidge, as suggested. Even 1 tick may actually solve the problem -- you want to brighten your blacks to RGB(1,1,1) or RGB(2,2,2) or similar shade.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!