LF a monitor with best image quality, with good refresh rate? (Even 144hz is fine)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
purplew

LF a monitor with best image quality, with good refresh rate? (Even 144hz is fine)

Post by purplew » 11 Jun 2021, 00:52

Haven't posted here in a while,

I'm looking for a 24'' media creation/consumption monitor that also has decent refresh rate/perks (such as 144hz and more, preferably 240hz though).
The IPS is too washed out, TN has awful viewing angles, dunno about VA.
I own a MAG251RX as my main gaming monitor but it's not too great at reproducing colors.

So basically, picture quality first, refresh rate second. Does anyone have an idea what I should go for? I think VA panels generally have better constrast ratios, but more awful viewing angles than IPS. If anyone has a good VA panel to suggest please let me know.
Budget: $900 or less
Thank you,

Discorz
VIP Member

Re: LF a monitor with best image quality, with good refresh rate? (Even 144hz is fine)

Post by Discorz » 11 Jun 2021, 01:14

Avoid VA panels. It's picture quality is in between IPS and TN and response times are very slow. IPS is the best you can get now (or expensive and big OLED). Hopefully someone else can suggest some monitors, I can't.
Last edited by Discorz on 19 Jun 2021, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: LF a monitor with best image quality, with good refresh rate? (Even 144hz is fine)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Jun 2021, 20:58

purplew wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 00:52
I'm looking for a 24'' media creation/consumption monitor that also has decent refresh rate/perks (such as 144hz and more, preferably 240hz though).
I own a MAG251RX as my main gaming monitor but it's not too great at reproducing colors.

So basically, picture quality first, refresh rate second. Does anyone have an idea what I should go for? I think VA panels generally have better constrast ratios, but more awful viewing angles than IPS. If anyone has a good VA panel to suggest please let me know.
Thank you,
Here is my prescription for high-hz Adobe CC Users (Premiere, PhotoShop, etc):

If you're not into strobing, what about NanoIPS panels?

Shockingly deep wide-gamut colors at 132% sRGB.

Such as LG 27GL850 or ViewSonic XG270QG or Eve Spectrum or others?

If you want strobe backlight technologies to reduce motion blur, even the wide-gamut KSF phosphor isn't too bad if it is well tuned (can ghost less than a plasma display, and ghost far less than VA strobing). I just finished strobe-tuning a wide-gamut Eve Spectrum 4K 144Hz Nano IPS monitor, so you even have a bonus motion blur reduction mode for CRT/plasma motion clarity!

In my experience, NanoIPS is superior to VA, in my humble opinion -- both strobed ad non-strobed -- and NanoIPS panels has as fast pixel response as TN panels nowadays.

VA can be nice for static imagery (PhotoShop), but accuracy of VA motion color is worse than NanoIPS motion (Premiere etc), you will see edges of dark colors suddenly change during certain motions of dark scenery, especially fast-shutter video-based scenery which is more sensitive to VA dark-color ghosting quirks. If you plan to use VA, make sure you warm up the VA panel as hot as possible (run for 1 hour before doing any critical motion work with it) to speed up VA dark GtG as much as possible. LCDs is cold-temperature sensitive, but VA panels especially so.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

purplew

Post by purplew » 18 Jun 2021, 02:12

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 20:58
purplew wrote:
11 Jun 2021, 00:52

Thank you,
Here is my prescription for high-hz Adobe CC Users (Premiere, PhotoShop, etc):

If you're not into strobing, what about NanoIPS panels?

Shockingly deep wide-gamut colors at 132% sRGB.

If you want strobe backlight technologies to reduce motion blur, even the wide-gamut KSF phosphor isn't too bad if it is well tuned (can ghost less than a plasma display, and ghost far less than VA strobing). I just finished strobe-tuning a wide-gamut Eve Spectrum 4K 144Hz Nano IPS monitor, so you even have a bonus motion blur reduction mode for CRT/plasma motion clarity!

In my experience, NanoIPS is superior to VA, in my humble opinion -- both strobed ad non-strobed -- and NanoIPS panels has as fast pixel response as TN panels nowadays.

VA can be nice for static imagery (PhotoShop), but accuracy of VA motion color is worse than NanoIPS motion (Premiere etc), you will see edges of dark colors suddenly change during certain motions of dark scenery, especially fast-shutter video-based scenery which is more sensitive to VA dark-color ghosting quirks. If you plan to use VA, make sure you warm up the VA panel as hot as possible (run for 1 hour before doing any critical motion work with it) to speed up VA dark GtG as much as possible. LCDs is cold-temperature sensitive, but VA panels especially so.
Yeah I'm not looking for strobing/mbr. Matter of fact, I bought the MAG251RX for its strobing capabilities and months later never use them, haha. NanoIPS does seem to be the way to go. Thanks for the reply Chief, very much appreciated.

purplew

Post by purplew » 18 Jun 2021, 02:49

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
are there any good 24'' NanoIPs, not extremely pricy panels?

So far I could only find the LG 24MD4KL-B

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Jun 2021, 17:24

purplew wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 02:49
Chief Blur Buster wrote:

Try an Amazon Prime Day sale, perhaps?

It will help you to be flexible with the resolution (1440p) and size (27") and there are way more options at a wider variety of price ranges. There are some tiny-bezel 27" options that can fit where an old big-bezel 24" LCD used to fit. Now, there are good reasons to stick to 24" though, but that can limit price and panel flexibility.

As long as it's a 2020-or-newer wide-gamut IPS panel, it will be a bigger pleasure to use in Adobe, even at the slightly wrong size/resolution. With 1440p, you can easily work on 1080p videos with all those extra toolbars. You won't be able to work on "4K video and toolbars" native-resolution anyway, and testing how 4K videos look at 1440p is always quite useful too. Small 24" 4K monitors aren't easily found, and the model you mentioned is practically one of the few/only 24" 4K NanoIPS options.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

purplew

Post by purplew » 19 Jun 2021, 01:10

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 17:24
purplew wrote:
18 Jun 2021, 02:49
Chief Blur Buster wrote:

Try an Amazon Prime Day sale, perhaps?

It will help you to be flexible with the resolution (1440p) and size (27") and there are way more options at a wider variety of price ranges. There are some tiny-bezel 27" options that can fit where an old big-bezel 24" LCD used to fit. Now, there are good reasons to stick to 24" though, but that can limit price and panel flexibility.

As long as it's a 2020-or-newer wide-gamut IPS panel, it will be a bigger pleasure to use in Adobe, even at the slightly wrong size/resolution. With 1440p, you can easily work on 1080p videos with all those extra toolbars. You won't be able to work on "4K video and toolbars" native-resolution anyway, and testing how 4K videos look at 1440p is always quite useful too. Small 24" 4K monitors aren't easily found, and the model you mentioned is practically one of the few/only 24" 4K NanoIPS options.
Thanks for always being so helpful Chief, much appreciated!
You've pretty much answered all my questions, this thread could be closed.