AOC241QX-useless "solid" vertical totals

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Crazyness

AOC241QX-useless "solid" vertical totals

Post by Crazyness » 21 Jun 2021, 01:29

i wanted 2 insert from pannellook exact type of panel+ some pics of VT,i am not allowed bcs first post :D ,
i am using it 4 d last couple of years(also extreme lurk for almost the same time as i have this monitor :mrgreen: )

revelation appears ..i need MBR..lets try with light boost(model not supported)big NO

lets try SoftMC maybe i will unlock somehow..big NO again(only 2 sliders are unlocked=something something color)

ough #uck i can c ULMB in NVIDIA inspector,big NO again

maybe i can via service menu..big NO again
(SSC and lvds current only available beside color settings and pretty much useless even tho,lvds is directly bond with electricity towards panel)
so wats my gad damn option?
i didnt buy older brother from this generation of panels 271qx(btw NVCP recognize this monitor as QG even thou is QX=same 4 both versions) 165hz with ULMB bcs first of all:

i didnt now jack shit about panels and lags and inverse ghosting and GtG and big all mighty BLUR and all that jazz..
i was like 1ms responce 144 i am good,why do i need 2 pay 4 20hz more 200e more..
that was my reasoning why i didnt buy 271qx + it was 2 big in my perception..

so how can i hack.. how can i finaly enjoy MBR on this monitor,did i miss something,i surely need help..TY!!
and 4 d record..CHIEF if i ever c u irl,prepare 2 get drunk as #uck

Max_hz

Re: AOC241QX-useless "solid" vertical totals

Post by Max_hz » 21 Jun 2021, 06:34

Crazyness wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 01:29
i wanted 2 insert from pannellook exact type of panel+ some pics of VT,i am not allowed bcs first post :D ,
i am using it 4 d last couple of years(also extreme lurk for almost the same time as i have this monitor :mrgreen: )

revelation appears ..i need MBR..lets try with light boost(model not supported)big NO

lets try SoftMC maybe i will unlock somehow..big NO again(only 2 sliders are unlocked=something something color)

ough #uck i can c ULMB in NVIDIA inspector,big NO again

maybe i can via service menu..big NO again
(SSC and lvds current only available beside color settings and pretty much useless even tho,lvds is directly bond with electricity towards panel)
so wats my gad damn option?
i didnt buy older brother from this generation of panels 271qx(btw NVCP recognize this monitor as QG even thou is QX=same 4 both versions) 165hz with ULMB bcs first of all:

i didnt now jack shit about panels and lags and inverse ghosting and GtG and big all mighty BLUR and all that jazz..
i was like 1ms responce 144 i am good,why do i need 2 pay 4 20hz more 200e more..
that was my reasoning why i didnt buy 271qx + it was 2 big in my perception..

so how can i hack.. how can i finaly enjoy MBR on this monitor,did i miss something,i surely need help..TY!!
and 4 d record..CHIEF if i ever c u irl,prepare 2 get drunk as #uck
AFAIK for MBR/ULMB you need the "QG" (G-sync version with the intergrated hardware module),
on the "QX" (the Free-sync version without the intergrated hardware module) you can't use/enable MBR/ULMB.
In use: Asus VG259QM IPS 240-280hz - Hanns-G HS233 TN 120hz
Used before: LG 24LG600 TN 144hz - HP Omen X 25f TN 240hz - ViewSonic XG2402 TN 144hz - Asus VG259Q IPS 144hz

Crazyness

Post by Crazyness » 21 Jun 2021, 14:11

yes Max i know,issue is this i can not use mbr,and i can NOT overclock more than 5hz..
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-03-22 162357.png
Screenshot 2021-03-22 162357.png (18.58 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
Screenshot 2021-03-22 162305.png
Screenshot 2021-03-22 162305.png (18.06 KiB) Viewed 1849 times
Screenshot 2021-03-22 162147.png
Screenshot 2021-03-22 162147.png (17.44 KiB) Viewed 1849 times

Crazyness

Post by Crazyness » 21 Jun 2021, 14:19

with those timings above i am pretty certain that mbr would look perfect,and those timings also suggest big headroom 4 overclock
well this is not d case,i can not pass 5hz hardcoded max overclock no matter what i do..
is there any solution 2 that?
so max overclock on this monitor is 150hz no matter if its 960x720 or 2560x1440..

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Jun 2021, 14:35

Not all panels support Large Vertical Totals correctly. Sometimes the scaler/TCON does not behave the way we want from a lag-reduction and crosstalk-reduction perspective.

Normally you can only determine this via a lagtester or a photodiode oscilloscope. But there's a clever way to visually check (with eyes), a panel's support for Large Vertical; watching the differences in scanout velocities via the TestUFO scanskew pattern.

Without a photodiode oscillocope or 1000fps high speed camera, a great way to test whether Large Vertical Total is visually working is www.testufo.com/scanskew but it requires a lot of training first.

1. Training/Familiarization Step:
Switch to regular 1080p 60Hz on a different brand's 60Hz-ONLY monitor (skip high Hz panels, because they each behave differently). View www.testufo.com/scanskew in FULL SCREEN mode. Observe how much the line tilts on a standard 60Hz-only LCD.
Don't go to step 2 until you get familiar with the amount of tilting that occurs on a 60Hz-only desktop/laptop LCD. If you don't have a 60Hz monitor or laptop LCD, then a 60Hz-only iPad LCD can be used, although it may have a portrait scan or a landscape scan; test both orientations.

2. Now try max Hz on your new panel, in non-strobed mode
Observe how little www.testufo.com/scanskew tilts on a standard 144 Hz or 240 Hz LCD

3. Now try standard (non-custom) 60 Hz on your high-Hz panel, in non-strobed mode
TWO POSSIBLE THINGS HAPPEN:
(A) Scanskew tilts as much as step (1) = GOOD
(B) Scanskew tilts as little as step (2) = BAD

4. If (A) succeeds, then try a Large Vertical Total (non strobed) to create a 60Hz mode that scans out at max Hz speed
TWO POSSIBLE THINGS HAPPEN
(C) Scanskew tilt now decreases to as little as step (2) = GOOD
(D) Scanskew tilt stays the same as step (1) = BAD

So if your panel behaves as 3(A) and 4(C), then you've successfully visually determined that your panel correctly supports Large Vertical Totals (panel scanrate = cable scanrate). Scan skewing is a function of the vertical sweep velocity of the LCD scanout (High Speed Videos of LCD Refreshing) as not all pixels refresh at the same time. So we use this trick as a visual verification of support for QFT / Large Vertical Totals on certain LCDs. It's not a 100% reliable confirmation but in my experience of the last 5 years, the above indirect-confirmation steps reliably human-eye visually confirmed correct Large VT behavior in an LCD panel without requiring a high speed camera or photodiode sensor.

I've seen panels behaving as 3(B) as well as panels behaving as 3(A)+4(D) .... Such panels will have NO crosstalk improvements from large vertical totals. Some technology explanation of these behaviours are found in the Quick Frame Transport thread, in this post.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Crazyness

Post by Crazyness » 21 Jun 2021, 15:35

Dear Chief first of all,i am lurking here 4 so long that i honestly consider you and RealNC and Falktentyne
and a lot of frequent posters in these wild lands like we are actual friends :)
Modern times ...

now back 2 your response..

,i can not test it with scanskew bcs i dont have any other monitor or ipad or whatever
and also i only have option with non strobed mode :)
bcs i can not implement mbr without tempering with scaler/tcon on hard mod level

also how is it possible that i can not do a proper overclock passing the 5hz max margine?
is there any way 2 buypass that hard coded bs..

also is there any way that i can go past 600mhz max pixel clock?
maybe that is d key for successful overclock

also in service menu,2 options are available
SSC 0-15 levels and LVDS Current 0-4 levels
Default is 10 and 2..changing those 2 nothing really happens even thou when i max both of them somehow picture is more pleasant
i am pretty sure its just my imagination..
Can you explain what are those 2 settings are?

also when i temper with monitor scaling wide or 1:1
default is wide
and if i want 2 use 1:1 mapping on native,i need 2 create 2558x1440 144hz
isnt logical that default would be 1:1 ..