AOC CQ32G1 Smearing

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Springheel_Jack

AOC CQ32G1 Smearing

Post by Springheel_Jack » 21 Jun 2021, 09:52

I recently purchased the CQ32G1, which shows up on the list of approved FreeSync 144Hz monitors, but I notice absolutely terrible smearing/ghosting, particularly in dark areas of games. I've noticed it the most in Borderlands, due to the thick lines, and it's even very noticeable in the Steam Library menu, and is very present in just about everything else.

Are there any suggestions for monitor settings or Nvidia Control Panel settings I could tweak to fix this? I'm using display port, not HDMI, if that helps at all.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: AOC CQ32G1 Smearing

Post by RealNC » 21 Jun 2021, 12:39

Springheel_Jack wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 09:52
I recently purchased the CQ32G1, which shows up on the list of approved FreeSync 144Hz monitors, but I notice absolutely terrible smearing/ghosting, particularly in dark areas of games.
It's a VA panel, so unfortunately it's more or less normal to have very visible ghosting especially in dark areas of the screen. It's a negative characteristic of VA panels in general. Also, I doubt it has variable overdrive, which means it's worse when operating in variable refresh rate mode (FreeSync/G-Sync.)

Basically, when buying a VA panel, you accept the ghosting as a tradeoff for excellent contrast and black levels.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Springheel_Jack

Re: AOC CQ32G1 Smearing

Post by Springheel_Jack » 21 Jun 2021, 15:01

RealNC wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 12:39
It's a VA panel, so unfortunately it's more or less normal to have very visible ghosting especially in dark areas of the screen. It's a negative characteristic of VA panels in general. Also, I doubt it has variable overdrive, which means it's worse when operating in variable refresh rate mode (FreeSync/G-Sync.)

Basically, when buying a VA panel, you accept the ghosting as a tradeoff for excellent contrast and black levels.
Okay, sorry for being ignorant about panel types. I looked them up briefly, and it seems like my best bet would be to try and get an IPS panel with a high refresh rate at the lowest pixel response time I can find.. much like the first one listed under "Best Gaming Monitors", I guess. Until I can save up for that, I'll just try disabling variable refresh rate when I don't think I need it and make the best of it.