Best competitive gaming monitor for Xbox series X/S (call of duty)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Mrohuche

Best competitive gaming monitor for Xbox series X/S (call of duty)

Post by Mrohuche » 29 Jun 2021, 18:57

Can somebody help me ?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Best competitive gaming monitor for Xbox series X/S (call of duty)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jun 2021, 03:27

Do you want competitive for just consoles, or also want competitive for both PC and consoles?

The reason I ask is that the upcoming ViewSonic XG2431 is one of the few panels with low latency at multiple refresh rates -- for dual-purpose console & PC use (low 60Hz lag, low 120Hz lag, and low 240Hz lag).

Many 240Hz monitors only have optimized latency only at its max refresh rate, meaning they are good for PC gaming but terrible for console gaming.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Mrohuche

Post by Mrohuche » 04 Jul 2021, 17:39

Only for Xbox series x/s please? Only play competitive call of duty. Need a fast monitor.

Need one that’s low at 120hz.

Mrohuche

Post by Mrohuche » 09 Jul 2021, 23:31

Any recommendations?

Ceck0008

Post by Ceck0008 » 02 Aug 2021, 13:36

I would like help here too! I am looking at the ViewSonic XG241 and Dell S2721DGF.

My concerns with the Viewsonic XG241 is that it is only 1080p. I'd like to get to 1440p if possible as I know a lot of games for the series x will not even output fully in 4k but I think more will be at 1440p or less then upscaled. Also I'm not sure if the viewsonic has HDR or not.

My concerns with the Dell S2721DGF is that it doesn't have HDR. I've read that it can output 1440p at 120 with VRR through the xbox but not HDR. Also on RTINGS is says its total response time at 60hz is 9.6ms . I know the Viewsonic will be really low but I'm curious what it is at compared to 9.6ms and will I be able to tell the difference.

Lastly am I overthinking the resolution aspect here? Will 1080p still be great for the generation? I've read a little bit about how downscaling works but its still kind of confusing. I've heard that 4k content downscaled to 1080 will still look great.

I guess what I really want to know is what is the best monitor for the series x in regards to competitive gaming? And is it a monitor or would the LG CX hold its own?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Aug 2021, 15:37

Ceck0008 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 13:36
Lastly am I overthinking the resolution aspect here? Will 1080p still be great for the generation? I've read a little bit about how downscaling works but its still kind of confusing. I've heard that 4k content downscaled to 1080 will still look great.

I guess what I really want to know is what is the best monitor for the series x in regards to competitive gaming? And is it a monitor or would the LG CX hold its own?
Think of your own needs, first...

Are you productivity-priority or competitive-priority? Or is this console-only?

If you plan to go high end competitive, you need lowest input lag possible, and that means higher frame rates. And that means reducing resolutions to 1080p. So if you are truly prioritizing on competitive, then 1080p is your buddy. Highest Hz and 1080p will be your friend here. And the good news is XG2431 is one of the few 240Hz monitors that is also simultaneously low-lag 60Hz & low-lag 120Hz too, so it's a great console+PC monitor too if you want to play competitively on the same monitor as well.

However, if you're going to do lots of Visual Studio or PhotoShop or other good productivity, you will want 1440p or even 4K.

Another solution is to get 2 displays optimized for your needs -- one for professional competitive, one for productivity.

The XG2431 can hold it own very well doing Excel and Word, as you don't really need all that much resolution for that for most work, so 1080p isn't too limiting if you're already used to 1080p. But if you're already using 1440p or 4K elsewhere, you may consider that.

If you are not as picky about motion blur (and don't have experience with strobing), and only casually competitively or solo games, then 1440p is a pleasure. You have more wide-gamut options at 1440p 165Hz nowadays and that is more fun for things like a solo game of the latest Final Fantasy, with all the pretty beautiful colors of 130%+ wide gamut when it comes to gaming.

You will have to decide which is best for your playing needs & productivity (if any).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Ceck0008

Post by Ceck0008 » 02 Aug 2021, 19:40

Thank you for your response Chief Blur Buster!
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 15:37

Are you productivity-priority or competitive-priority? Or is this console-only?
This will be a console-only monitor. Xbox series x only goes up to 120fps. So does it help going above 120hz?
Chief Blur Buster wrote:

If you are not as picky about motion blur (and don't have experience with strobing), and only casually competitively or solo games, then 1440p is a pleasure. You have more wide-gamut options at 1440p 165Hz nowadays and that is more fun for things like a solo game of the latest Final Fantasy, with all the pretty beautiful colors of 130%+ wide gamut when it comes to gaming.
Lately I have become a lot more picky about motion blur when playing games, watching tv or movies. So I was very glad to find this website. But if I'm using this monitor exclusively for console and the max framerate is 120 fps, should I just go 1440p to get the extra resolution? The series x claims it will do 4k up to 120fps but we are already seeing them not being native 4k to get a higher fps. Therefore I don't think I need a 4k monitor and would like to get less blur and better input lag. Which has brought me to the question of whether I should go 1440p or 1080p. I am just curious if any 1440p monitors will come close to matching the XG2431 at 60hz and 120hz?

Thank you for your time!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Aug 2021, 20:16

Ceck0008 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 19:40
This will be a console-only monitor. Xbox series x only goes up to 120fps. So does it help going above 120hz?
Depends on how picky.

Certain cherrypicked 240 Hz panels like XG2431 have better 120 Hz performance for strobing, and you have existing experience in strobe backlights in previous monitor purchases.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Lately I have become a lot more picky about motion blur when playing games, watching tv or movies. So I was very glad to find this website. But if I'm using this monitor exclusively for console and the max framerate is 120 fps, should I just go 1440p to get the extra resolution? The series x claims it will do 4k up to 120fps but we are already seeing them not being native 4k to get a higher fps. Therefore I don't think I need a 4k monitor and would like to get less blur and better input lag. Which has brought me to the question of whether I should go 1440p or 1080p. I am just curious if any 1440p monitors will come close to matching the XG2431 at 60hz and 120hz?
When you get 1440p, for low lag and low blur, you'll want to stick to TN or recent "Fast IPS" (2020 or newer). Even though some of those are 165 Hz panels, these newer 1440p panels have better 120 Hz performance than yesterday's 120 Hz IPS panels.

120 Hz is still a halving of 60 Hz motion blur, which may be all you want. Look at the other performance metrics than the max refresh rate numbers, because excluding 165 Hz (1440p) and 240 Hz (1080p) neglects to consider that some 120Hz performance metrics (motion blur reduction modes) tends to become better.

You will have to decide what your priorities are on color, resolution, whether you'll just use Hz-based blur reduction (120Hz-vs-60Hz) or you'll use strobe-based blur reduction (BFI, backlight strobing, etc). With both the ViewSonic and Spectrum options, you do have both options of reducing motion blur. Going from 60fps to 120fps reduces motion blur by about 50%, while strobe-based motion blur reduction reduces motion blur by 90%.

And it's possible you may prefer VRR over strobing, since it's a great way to reduce stutters -- demo animation at www.testufo.com/vrr ... VR still does benefit from framerate-based motion blur reduction (doubling framerate halving motion blur) even without strobing.

badrisuper

Post by badrisuper » 20 Mar 2023, 07:59

Hi

I have ordered this monitor today. Its dedicated for Xbox Series X gaming. I mostly play competitive gaming. Could you please point me to optimal display configuration for FPS games at 120HZ?

Thanks
Badri M

wNchstR

Ynt: Xbox serisi X/S için en iyi rekabetçi oyun monitörü (görev çağrısı)

Post by wNchstR » 22 Mar 2023, 17:56

badrisuper wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 07:59
Hi

I have ordered this monitor today. Its dedicated for Xbox Series X gaming. I mostly play competitive gaming. Could you please point me to optimal display configuration for FPS games at 120HZ?

Thanks
Badri M

I am also looking for the answer to this question.