Bizarre Stutter from XL2546K

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Bizarre Stutter from XL2546K

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Jul 2021, 15:42

Please take a photograph of www.testufo.com/frameskipping

There was an earlier plague of 240Hz frameskipping bugs, but the XL2546K is not one of them. However, there might be some weird GPU/monitor interaction that might be triggering it.

Now for monitors without a frame skipping bug:

The most common frameskipping culprit is multimonitor — try disable all monitors except the 240Hz as primary. If you must game multimonitor, try to always use full screen exclusive on the primary.

Another common culprit is background RGB software that eats too much CPU. Some brands (Razer) is good while other brands are more CPU-hungry, try www.testufo.com/animation-time-graph on a freshly-booted computer with that browser window the only browser window. If you see many regular red spikes without apps or other browser tabs running, then something in the background is hogging CPU that introduces stutter.

Also, purchasing a higher Hz mouse is now highly recommended for 240Hz+ since 2000 Hz makes a noticeable improvement at 240Hz+
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Ynot_iwal

Post by Ynot_iwal » 06 Jul 2021, 22:14

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 15:42
I attached an image of my www.testufo.com/frameskipping test. Almost every Test/Tool on testufo.com looks completely fine and normal.

I have no RGB software for anything running in the background. I also have been testing it with and without multimonitor configuration to no avail. I purchased a new 240hz to actually circumvent the known problem of Windows not liking different refresh rate monitors. I enjoy having multi-monitor for productivity.

I've also done my due diligence to set up my PC correctly with things like MSI Afterburner and Intelligent Standby List Cleaner. My Overclocks, when applied, also pass stability tests and handle the games well when I play them. I'm not saying I'm a pro, but I was purposeful in making sure my PC was set up 'correctly' after being built.

I'm comparing response time results from TFTCentral and RTings regarding the Asus PG258Q (My old monitor), Asus VG259QM, and the Zowie XL2546K. Neither site has completely reviewed all three monitors and I know that cross referencing response time measurements is not necessarily good due to differences in test methodology, but it's all I've got at the moment.

TFTCentral has the PG258Q at about 3.4ms GtG at the optimal settings. It also has the VG279QM (VG259QM 27" Older brother) at 3.6ms.

RTings has the VG259QM at 6.6ms and the XL2546K at a whopping 7.6ms.

Based on this the only conclusion I can come to is that both of the monitors I have have almost double, in theory, the response time of my old 240hz. This is why they seem to look normal and pass all testufo, but when it comes to ingame performance in movement shooters like I play they just fail in my eyes which are used to a noticeably faster response time.

Unfortunately I don't think there is anything wrong with the monitors I purchased, they just aren't fast enough for me. Which is really strange coming from the Zowie since it's marketed for ESports, you would think it would have more competitive response times for people who play Overwatch, Apex, Titanfall, Quake, etc.
Attachments
IMG_2837.JPG
IMG_2837.JPG (2.08 MiB) Viewed 6391 times

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 06 Jul 2021, 23:57

You need a higher exposure time for the camera, so that it can pick up more lit boxes. If it doesn't have a setting for this, try lowering the brightness of the monitor and/or dim the lights in your room to force the camera to increase it.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

grandin

Post by grandin » 07 Jul 2021, 19:04

I cant get 240 fps in may games so I tend to avoid 240hz but here is my 144hz CRU settings I combine it with rivatuner and get a crisp image.

H: 1920, 24, 32, 25, 81, 2001
V: 1080, 3, 5, 1011, 1020, 2100
Ref: 144 hz
Hor: 302.403 khz
Pixel: 605.11 mhz

No clue if these settings will help you at all tho. I would suggest to give rivatuner a try and mess with the scanline sync.

MentalSharps

Post by MentalSharps » 21 Jul 2021, 07:13

Did you try the monitors with a 2000hz or higher mouse polling rate yet?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Jul 2021, 07:48

grandin wrote:
07 Jul 2021, 19:04
I cant get 240 fps in may games so I tend to avoid 240hz but here is my 144hz CRU settings I combine it with rivatuner and get a crisp image.
Are you using strobing? That would be a good reason to do framerate=Hz

If not using strobing, why not try VRR? 144fps cap at 240Hz has less non-strobed lag than lowering the Hz of an average 240Hz monitor to 144Hz, especially since most start buffering during lower Hz (more info). And VRR is much more reliable in eliminating stutters. But, 144fps 144Hz is useful for fixing stutters if you can't do VRR, or the VRR is poor quality (overdrive), or you need strobing (framerate = Hz), or RTSS Scanline Sync on a game that won't do 240fps consistently.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!