Asus RoG Strix XG27AQM

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
dota3232

Re: Asus RoG Strix XG27AQM

Post by dota3232 » 01 Feb 2023, 23:05

Provides monthly insurance monitor
And one of the corners of the monitor came with a yellowish color
It can only be seen when the screen is completely white.
Also in Google Chrome browser

I know this is a defect but I want to know if that can be fixed somehow
Without having to go through the guarantee Because for me it is impossible
Send monitor back

The irony is that I read the 14 pages of this forum and in the end I took this defective monitor :lol :lol: :D :D

Jackal

Post by Jackal » 04 Feb 2023, 14:40

I noticed I continue to have the mouse stutter at some point after turning the monitor on and flicking the mouse (usually to a corner of the screen) It doesn't seem to happen when I'm using it regularly, but once in awhile when I come back to the monitor after not using the mouse for awhile it happens again. Still trying to see if this is normal or if some setting isn't right.

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 20 Apr 2023, 20:58

Boys, I made a post on asus's forum about 2 years ago about this great monitor and I decided today to log back into asus forums to see if anything has changed. Well I noticed there was an individual that linked to my post (really good in depth review that I did as an average joe with some suggestions for improvements) but I can no longer see it. I complained about not being able to see the post and an Asus moderator said the following
"Hello liquidshadowfox

The link in the OP's post is the link to your thread on the forum, it's still there.

I'd like to thank you for taking the time to do the testing you've done. You posted it about two years ago and I'm sure it got quite a few views but, it's going to take more than two people to get any real attention. There needs to be a lot more people making noise and/or agreeing with you. So with that, all I can say is, check every now and then at the ASUS Support Center for firmware updates."

I'd post the link but I don't want to break any forum rules here. Anyways, I think we should band together and shout together as a community, not just as a community that owns an Asus XG27AQM but one that are clear motion enthusiasts who want a VRR + backlight strobing monitor that is BLUR BUSTER APPROVED.

Reason why a good VRR + strobed monitor is a big deal
1. IPS monitors are getting brighter and brighter with horrible HDR implementations with no FALD, why not use this huge brightness headroom for backlight strobing?
2. No burn in issues like OLED
3. Backlight strobing with LCD can be seen as superior in certain respects vs OLEDs, yes OLEDs have consistent overdrive and minimal ghosting BUT not many OLEDs can ASYNCHRONOUSLY flicker their light vs the pixel changing how an LCD can. This is why zowie monitors with Dyac still look MUCH clearer in motion vs OLEDs despite having a slower pixel response time! because they can hide their grey to grey during the strobe's OFF phase.
4. 50 fps and above content would not look blurry anymore! Remember the good old days of CRT? This is magical to me even today with a quest 2 (currently one of the best LCDs with low persistence blur!)
6. I'd also implore asus to use an RGB subpixel layout, it works for all the regular document, web browsing and editing tasks we normally do when we aren't gaming.
7. Imagine the QHD 360 hz IPS panel from asus but with ELMB sync that doesn't lock the overdrive (maybe dynamic even), user upgradable firmware for the backlight strobing algorithm and no limits to what we can change! (imagine QFT trick that would reduce crosstalk massively in exchange for a max refresh of 240 hz BUT works from 50 hz - 240 hz or you can have 50 hz - 360 hz with some crosstalk).

Guys I have a dream, I know we are all strangers on here but I am passionate about backlight strobing tech and having perfect motion clarity and want to spread the word that at least an Asus mod might be willing to pass on our message to asus to design such a monitor. Would it be in partnership with blur busters? Maybe yes, maybe no but I want to at least try to see if we can get any traction on this.

Walk

Post by Walk » 31 May 2023, 12:30

Hopefully not necroing an old thread, but here goes.

I have this monitor. What is the best nvidia control panel setup to use for the fastest response times, and what's the best setup for fastest response times with ELMB active? I haven't really found good answers, I'm not sure how each affects this monitor in particular.

I am currently at 270 hz.

I noticed that when I use ELMB Sync with GSYNC active, I overshoot a lot and it feels like the monitors response time is slower. It's imperceptible, but I can notice that my aim becomes less consistent and it feels as if I struggle to stay on targets. I also notice this caused ELMB Sync to deactivate, particularly for games which have FPS limits on menus or while unfocused. I'm not 100% sure what ULMB does, but from what I saw it's redundant with the monitors ELMB Sync, so I think I shouldn't use that at all in nvidia control panel.

I feel as if I perform better and more consistent on fixed refresh, but I can't find reliable information on how that setting works with this monitors implementation of ELMB Sync(I think it's just a case of information overload, since a ton of stuff shows up about ELMB on different monitors). Does this monitors ELMB Sync work as expected(ELMB at variable frame rates, even with fixed refresh rate?)

Should I be playing with nvidia control panel set to Fixed Refresh, with my monitor on ELMB Sync at 270 hz(even if I get occasional frame drops, depending on the game)? Or does ELMB Sync require GSYNC active?

What about without ELMB Sync? Would fixed refresh, OD 5(or using the blue menu to set it higher) give me faster response times, even though I'd have motion blur, compared to with ELMB Sync active?

lastly: from the monitors OSD, does this monitor have a faster response with GSYNC on/off? I saw earlier in this thread that some monitors perform better with it on, but not all, but didn't see it specified for this monitor. I don't have a way to measure input latency/response time myself so I'm hoping someone has done that testing already.

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 15 Jun 2023, 15:30

ULMB is only for Gsync native monitors (that have a hardware Gsync certified part)
ELMB sync only works with Gsync compatible enabled
ELMB fixed works when ELMB sync is enabled through the monitor's OSD and Gsync compatible is DISABLED in the monitor's OSD so no need to fiddle with nvidia control panel.
ELMB fixed works WAY better than ELMB sync. I just bought the XG27AQMR and it's ELMB sync implementation is great and much closer to fixed ELMB fixed as long as your fps is above 200. They still pushed too much voltage to the panel so on the XG27AQMR when you do the UFO crosstalk test fullscreen with default pixels per sec it looks great but you notice the overshoot when you move it to higher speeds. Asus was REALLY close to making a good strobe + Gsync/freesync implementation this time around. XG27AQMR also has red phosphor when strobing but it doesn't really bother too much at higher refreshes.

Drex

Post by Drex » 04 Aug 2023, 07:07

liquidshadowfox wrote:
15 Jun 2023, 15:30
ULMB is only for Gsync native monitors (that have a hardware Gsync certified part)
ELMB sync only works with Gsync compatible enabled
ELMB fixed works when ELMB sync is enabled through the monitor's OSD and Gsync compatible is DISABLED in the monitor's OSD so no need to fiddle with nvidia control panel.
ELMB fixed works WAY better than ELMB sync. I just bought the XG27AQMR and it's ELMB sync implementation is great and much closer to fixed ELMB fixed as long as your fps is above 200. They still pushed too much voltage to the panel so on the XG27AQMR when you do the UFO crosstalk test fullscreen with default pixels per sec it looks great but you notice the overshoot when you move it to higher speeds. Asus was REALLY close to making a good strobe + Gsync/freesync implementation this time around. XG27AQMR also has red phosphor when strobing but it doesn't really bother too much at higher refreshes.
Hey,

I've read the thread and there are so many back and forths here on the forum + optimum tech/rtings and im kinda lost. What settings would you recommend as optimal for clarity/performance? I only play Warzone (avg 180-200fps) and CS:GO (avg 500fps). The goal is as less inputlag and faster response time since i play both on a pretty high-end competitive maner (tournaments, wagers etc)
Overclock:
Overdrive:
ELMB:
Shadow:
Profile:
ICC:
Brightness:
Contrast:
Colors:
Coler temp:
Gamma:
Saturation:
Whatever else i forgot to ask about and it mattes:

Any help is greatly appreciated, cheers!

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 10 Aug 2023, 11:48

To answer your questions
Overclock: I disable the overclock, it causes studders for me but not everyone has this issue so your milage may vary
Overdrive: OD 4 is perfect for fps above 200, OD 3 is my pick for Gsync VRR gaming between 120 - 240 hz
ELMB: ELMB with Gsync disabled will give you the best clarity at 240 hz for competitive titles, otherwise use ELMB sync only if you can hit 200 fps or more consistently, otherwise leave this option off
Shadow: I set this to level 2 to see enemies easier in dark corners but this is preference
Profile: default
ICC: none
Brightness: ELMB/ELMB sync doesn't let you change brightness, only contrast
Contrast: 40 - 50
Colors: Racing mode
Coler temp: Warm colors are my preference but everyone has different opinions, cooler colors hurt my eyes
Gamma:1.2
Saturation:default
Whatever else i forgot to ask about and it mattes:
You can get into the service menu of the XG27AQM to get ELMB sync to work a little better with less overshoot by setting the OD gain setting to 12 but it loses the settings after you turn off the monitor for a couple of hours so you'd have to repeat the steps every single day if you turn it off once a day. If you still want ELMB sync without this drawback, return the monitor and get the XG27AQMR (300 hz IPS QHD) that has much more improved ELMB sync implementation but it's not perfect.
Just for people who want to play around with the settings, I found the debug menu...
Steps
1. Turn off the monitor
2. Push in the joystick and hold the power on button

To disable the service menu
press the power button and hold menu (5-way), then press menu again

The OD gain is represented using hexadecimal so essentially
OD 2 = 07
OD 3 = 12
OD 4 = 26
Rec. OD = 18