Asus RoG Strix XG27AQM

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
DrR1pper

Re: Asus RoG Strix XG27AQM

Post by DrR1pper » 24 Mar 2022, 04:59

CheekiWeeb wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 03:09
I currently own the XG27AQM. I have the alienware qd-oled coming in a few months because of stock here in US. I play more casual games now but also want to dabble in competitive FPS and was wondering if the alienware's 175hz + response time can hold its ground against 270hz IPS.
You're in for a treat. It absolutely smashes it. I understand what Linus meant when he said "the clarity feels almost strobing clear to me" because it does for me too. Though pixel persistence is still there on the Alienware so you can't get true BFI clarity, it sure as hell feels like it almost does in practice. Yes, the effect is that good. There is zero ghosting on this thing and that's why it feels so good in motion in game. I'm so happy with it. When you assess the monitors performance on two axes, motion clarity and brightness....there is just no contest between it and the XG27AQM (both in ELMB mode and not and the XG27AQM is a bloody good monitor). Then you factor in the inky-blacks/infinite-contrast-ratio, zero black light bleed, zero IPS glow, zero matte screen Vaseline effect....I am shocked the price it sells at. Should be easily 2-3x higher at minimum IMO. I am in awe of this monitor. Oh and the ultrawide upgrade is awesome. Never going back to 16:9.

As you can see, the UFO is not crystal clear like it is when a monitor has BFI but there is zero ghosting and when in game, it translates into what feels like near strobing like motion clarity. I was rather surprised this was the case. I was sure it was going to be much closer to the XG27AQM in terms of motion clarity with ELMB off than ELMB on but turns out in practice to feel much more like ELMB on with a huge brightness improvement.
Last edited by DrR1pper on 24 Mar 2022, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

DrR1pper

Post by DrR1pper » 24 Mar 2022, 05:53

Oh and watching HDR content on it is breathtaking.

CheekiWeeb

Post by CheekiWeeb » 24 Mar 2022, 08:50

Thanks for sharing! I went in buying/hoping the qd-oled alienware can replace my xg27aqm for casual and competitive fps gaming monitor and looks like you've answered that question. I've been trying to look for more information on clarity and most reviews do not really compare it with any higher refresh IPS panel on gameplay feel. The test you posted looks really clear and from what you described is greater than ELMB and I was already content with my XG27AQM with ELMB off. I can't wait, sucks that there is problems with stock here in the U.S. and we won't be getting it until June.

DrR1pper

Post by DrR1pper » 24 Mar 2022, 11:15

CheekiWeeb wrote:
24 Mar 2022, 08:50
Thanks for sharing! I went in buying/hoping the qd-oled alienware can replace my xg27aqm for casual and competitive fps gaming monitor and looks like you've answered that question. I've been trying to look for more information on clarity and most reviews do not really compare it with any higher refresh IPS panel on gameplay feel.
Yeah, might just be because it's still early days. E.g. Rtings and HDTVtest are still not out with their reviews. That or it just doesn't make sense to compare to even the fastest (360hz+) IPS panels because response time should be at least an order of magnitude better on OLED still. The fastest IPS panels seem to have response times that are at least as long as the shortest frametimes they can pull off, lol, so a level of ghosting is never going to be avoidable. Whereas on the Alienware, I was watching 24hz movie content yesterday and saw judder on fairly quick panning moments as each frame was pristinely displayed for each video frame unlike on IPS where the inherent ghosting would almost smooth the transitions out a lot (as if motion blur + interpolation was being employed).
CheekiWeeb wrote:
The test you posted looks really clear and from what you described is greater than ELMB and I was already content with my XG27AQM with ELMB off.
Yeah, it's weird because as you can see in the UFO ghost test, it's clearly not ELMB levels of motion clarity and yet the perception I get when playing fps games, panning around corners very quickly to scan for enemies (etc) is that it doesn't need to be ELMB clear and yet it feels like it almost is in practice. The complete lack of ghosting seems to make the remaining pixel persistence induced motion blur irrelevant. Ignoring the other pro's, I think it's the level of brightness of this monitor vs. the XG27AQM in ELMB mode that's contributing greatly to the greater level of satisfaction of the motion clarity on the Alienware vs. the Asus. On the Asus, I was actually continuously torn between using it with and without ELMB mode. I'd flick between the two modes often as the level of clarity in non ELMB mode with much greater brightness vs. ELMB mode is actually good enough for me too and somewhat more enjoyable than having a much dimmer screen but it was certainly not as crystal clear as with ELMB on still. This was not the case when I got the 120hz VG278H with 2d lightboost hack way back when. The insanely greater level of motion clarity with BFI on for competitive fps was worth the much lower screen brightness compromise. But framerate and response times of LCD's have improved so much so since then that I found the benefit of BFI less advantageous whilst still something I really wanted if only with much higher brightness. The Alienware seems to strike the perfect balance of giving a sort of quasi-like BFI effect with non BFI levels of brightness so it feels like a total win-win and then some.
CheekiWeeb wrote:
I can't wait, sucks that there is problems with stock here in the U.S. and we won't be getting it until June.
Sorry you have to wait till June. That sucks. Hopefully stock will refill sooner. For what it's worth, the wait is most definitely worth it. I am never buying an LCD panel again. The hype was/is completely real.

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 06 Apr 2022, 20:12

I'm super sad there won't be a firmware update for this XG27AQM :( This monitor could have been it but there isn't even an option to change the strobe phase or reduce crosstalk towards the top in ELMB sync mode T_T Now I'll have to wait for the Eve spectrum 280 hz in october before I can get my hands on something better than this with VRR + strobe. QOLEDs are really nice but currently there don't seem to be any 240+ hz announced let alone in the 16:9 aspect ratio.

munchie4000

Post by munchie4000 » 08 Apr 2022, 05:39

liquidshadowfox wrote:
06 Apr 2022, 20:12
I'm super sad there won't be a firmware update for this XG27AQM :( This monitor could have been it but there isn't even an option to change the strobe phase or reduce crosstalk towards the top in ELMB sync mode T_T Now I'll have to wait for the Eve spectrum 280 hz in october before I can get my hands on something better than this with VRR + strobe. QOLEDs are really nice but currently there don't seem to be any 240+ hz announced let alone in the 16:9 aspect ratio.
Thanks for your work on this thread! I've seen your post on the Asus forums too but looks like they don't read them unfortunately. I wonder if there's any other way to get in touch with them? Have you tried emailing them/twitter?

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 08 Apr 2022, 08:37

I have not tbh, I don't have a twitter (no need for it) and I don't know which email to use tbh. Wish I knew someone who had a direct line with asus. The other thing I wish was that this monitor was tuned by blur buster chief :( I know asus puts in millions of dollars into R&D into this anti flicker algorithm for their backlight strobe but it would have been nice to turn on or off different algorithms that didn't include the pwm fill.

hwanzi

Post by hwanzi » 03 May 2022, 14:51

was wonder if we could get people that have this monitor to post on here to try and get asus make this firmware update happen that @liquidshadowfox has worked so hard to get https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.p ... ate-Please sorry if this isnt allowed

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 05 May 2022, 07:39

hwanzi wrote:
03 May 2022, 14:51
was wonder if we could get people that have this monitor to post on here to try and get asus make this firmware update happen that @liquidshadowfox has worked so hard to get https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.p ... ate-Please sorry if this isnt allowed
Oh, asus is most definitely aware of this, or at least someone over there. They've repeated same issues on multiple monitors and this has been happening for years. Even if they did reach the feedback it will still take a big chunk of time to get fixed.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Warlockuy

Post by Warlockuy » 19 May 2022, 06:55

hi
Excuse me
Does anyone have any manual color calibration from race mode?
Srgb is dark and service menu, You have to change it every time I turn it on, and something dark is still the same.
The truth looks better than the vg279qm.
But the colors are weird.
Thank you