Asus RoG Strix XG27AQM

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Worraps

Re: Asus RoG Strix XG27AQM

Post by Worraps » 30 Jan 2022, 10:01

Another issue with this monitor is that ELMB disables itself upon computer shutdown or even restart, so everyday, when I turn on my computer, I have to use the joystick and enable ELMB again, which is getting very annoying at this point. Turning the monitor off and on also does this.

I even installed ASUS's Display Widget software since you can change some monitor settings through there instead of using the monitor's menu/OSD, but the ELMB option is not there, so I always have to manually use the joystick.

Honestly, this is the worst part and makes me want to leave it disabled. The thing is I literally purchased this monitor at full price for it's great specs and above average motion blur reduction so it woudn't make sense not to use it, so I just force myself.

Has anyone found a way to leave it enabled even after restarting the computer? Or at least a program where I can enable it without reaching for the joystick every day?

I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet, makes me feel this might only be happening to me.

Synk

Post by Synk » 02 Feb 2022, 18:29

@liquidshadowfox
Did you find out a way to save the optimizations you did? Ive just ordered that Display, its gonna arive tomorrow.. would be great if their would be a way to edit the elbm to use the settings you did! Maybe even overwrite the OD no. 5 with the new value.. and permanently save it..

By the way, great job, appreciate that work :)

Also ive ordered a coloremeter but found out it is factory calibrated... did they do this well or maybe only semi like other manufacturers?

DrR1pper

Post by DrR1pper » 05 Feb 2022, 04:26

Worraps wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 10:01
Another issue with this monitor is that ELMB disables itself upon computer shutdown or even restart, so everyday, when I turn on my computer, I have to use the joystick and enable ELMB again, which is getting very annoying at this point. Turning the monitor off and on also does this.

I even installed ASUS's Display Widget software since you can change some monitor settings through there instead of using the monitor's menu/OSD, but the ELMB option is not there, so I always have to manually use the joystick.

Honestly, this is the worst part and makes me want to leave it disabled. The thing is I literally purchased this monitor at full price for it's great specs and above average motion blur reduction so it woudn't make sense not to use it, so I just force myself.

Has anyone found a way to leave it enabled even after restarting the computer? Or at least a program where I can enable it without reaching for the joystick every day?

I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet, makes me feel this might only be happening to me.
Sorry to hear your problem. I presume it's not activatable via the nvidia control panel? Otherwise you could set it to active for the specific games in question you wish it to work with and the monitor would auto enable ELMB for those games then.

If I may ask, how is the ELMB vs other E/ULMB implementations you've tried before? Thanks.

Worraps

Post by Worraps » 07 Feb 2022, 08:59

DrR1pper wrote:
05 Feb 2022, 04:26
Worraps wrote:

Sorry to hear your problem. I presume it's not activatable via the nvidia control panel? Otherwise you could set it to active for the specific games in question you wish it to work with and the monitor would auto enable ELMB for those games then.

If I may ask, how is the ELMB vs other E/ULMB implementations you've tried before? Thanks.
Hi, it's not activatable through the Nvidia Control Panel. You can only enable it through the monitor's OSD. At least this monitor isn't, perhaps since it is ELMB and not ULMB, but I know what you're reffering to since I've seen that option within NVCP on other users within "Monitor Technology". However, that's not the case here.

Also, it's my first monitor with blur reduction technology. What I can tell you is that it isn't anything special. It's good for competitive shooters but if you disable it mid-game you might not even notice a difference. Perhaps it is still way behind BenQ's DyAc. It's a great addition anyway and since it doesn't cause me headaches and the brightness when enabled is just perfect for me, I would like to always leave it enabled since there really isn't a disadvantage from doing so. Uhhh and also since I payed 800€ for it, might as well use all the features :D

Another thing is that G-Sync works great and after using it for a while and disabling it, I didn't see any tearing but I felt some sort of frame skipping in high fps games. Not sure why, it can be related to other NVCP options like "Low Latency Mode" that I enable/disable when enabling/disabling G-Sync, but honestly every game is much smoother with it on.

CortexFPS

Post by CortexFPS » 07 Feb 2022, 16:47

does anyone know if this monitor has the same panel as pg279qm?
In use: 27GR95QE-B | XG2431
Used before: PG248QP | XL2566K | XL2546K/S | XV252QF | AW2521H | VG259QM | PG279QM | AW2721D
Mouse: OP1 8K | Zaunkoenig M2K
Keyboard: Wooting 60HE
PC: 5800x3D; RTX 3080

mdzapeer

Post by mdzapeer » 08 Feb 2022, 12:13

I am really close to pulling the trigger on this XG27AQM, I am currently using the XG270 (still in the return window) but the 1080p is really hurting at 27in, even though I was using the XL2070 for years, but the XG270 pixel sharpness...is kinda harsh, the XL2070 was kind of softer hard to explain. Anyways went off on a tangent there. EDIT: Putting the sharpness down to zero seems to have fixed it.

Usually I use fixed refresh and strobing regardless of the fps since its the most clear, if a little stuttery.
So the XG27AQM how does it compare to the XG270 in terms of the motion clarity with ELMB and is the VRR ELMB sync actually usable?
Last edited by mdzapeer on 09 Feb 2022, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.

DrR1pper

Post by DrR1pper » 09 Feb 2022, 08:34

Worraps wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 08:59
Hi, it's not activatable through the Nvidia Control Panel. You can only enable it through the monitor's OSD. At least this monitor isn't, perhaps since it is ELMB and not ULMB, but I know what you're reffering to since I've seen that option within NVCP on other users within "Monitor Technology". However, that's not the case here.

Also, it's my first monitor with blur reduction technology. What I can tell you is that it isn't anything special. It's good for competitive shooters but if you disable it mid-game you might not even notice a difference. Perhaps it is still way behind BenQ's DyAc. It's a great addition anyway and since it doesn't cause me headaches and the brightness when enabled is just perfect for me, I would like to always leave it enabled since there really isn't a disadvantage from doing so. Uhhh and also since I payed 800€ for it, might as well use all the features :D

Another thing is that G-Sync works great and after using it for a while and disabling it, I didn't see any tearing but I felt some sort of frame skipping in high fps games. Not sure why, it can be related to other NVCP options like "Low Latency Mode" that I enable/disable when enabling/disabling G-Sync, but honestly every game is much smoother with it on.
Since my post, I went ahead and bought one (Asus XG27AQM) too so I know what you mean now. I think it's because it doesn't have a dedicated gsync hardware module inside it. I remember this difference between the Viewsonic XG270 (1080p 240hz without gsync module) and XG270QG (1440p 144hz (165hz OC'able) with gsync module). I have to say, i think prefer the non gsync module monitor versions. I know what you mean about the frame skipping at higher res thing and noticed it too when enabling gsync via monitor OSD that it smoothed it out with no perceptible increase to input lag. I don't know if it's just in my head but it feels like there is more input lag when using gsync on a gsync module monitor (or at least with my only experience with one, being the 1440p XG270QG) when playing CSGO but doesn't on the this monitor (Asus XG27AQM) with non module gsync and I think it was the same when I still had the XG270 (1080p 240hz non gsync module).

I'm going to get the new Viewsonic XG271QG (1440p 240hz with gsync) to compare against the Asus soon and I'll report back how it compares when I do. The Asus XG27AQM's implimentation of backlight strobing is not bad by any means but there is some visible overshooting that presents itself like image sharpening when looking around ingame. The effect does not get better (i.e. less severe) with lowering the monitor refresh rate either. So it's not like ELMB is more optimal at lower refresh rates than maximum (unlike the XG270 1080p 240hz monitor that had the best motion clairty ULMB mode at 120hz rather than 240hz....presumably because GtG response time was not fast enough and thus creaping into the cause of some residual motion blur with ULMB @240hz where as it was outside of the visible window of ULMB when @120hz). Will be interesting how the XG270QG fairs, since it's not blur busters approved (as Mark explained elsewhere, they/he can't fine tune the overdrive settings (and other settings) for the various refresh rates with PureXP mode (ViewSonic's name for ULMB) due to the hardware gsync module dictating OD settings.)

What I will say with regards to the ELMB/ULMB/PureXP is that for me, it's value is only in certain situations. For example, in CSGO, it's valuable when playing deathmatch where I'm running around and flicking my mouse around corners and such quickly and constantly as there is a pretty darn big advantage in being able to see clearly without any motion blur in fast motion moments that would otherwise make me have to pause (i.e. keep mouse still) for a fraction of a second longer for the blur to stop so I can identify friend or foe. But this benefit comes at the cost of brightness and when it comes to match making mode, for CSGO at least, the benefit seems to shift ever so slightly to disabling ELMB because I'm not flicking around my mouse constantly and as violently as in deathmatch. The higher brightness becomes more of a benefit in that situation as well as the fast enough 240hz low GtG pixel response time of this monitor (ASUS XG270AQM).
mdzapeer wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 12:13
I am really close to pulling the trigger on this XG27AQM, I am currently using the XG270 (still in the return window) but the 1080p is really hurting at 27in, even though I was using the XL2070 for years, but the XG270 pixel sharpness...is kinda harsh, the XL2070 was kind of softer hard to explain. Anyways went off on a tangent there.

Usually I use fixed refresh and strobing regardless of the fps since its the most clear, if a little stuttery.
So the XG27AQM how does it compare to the XG270 in terms of the motion clarity with ELMB and is the VRR ELMB sync actually usable?
It was 2 years ago now that I still had the XG270 but if I'm remembering correctly, I think the motion clarity might have been a little better on it vs. the XG27AQM because of the overshoot issue. But I'm really not sure. I know you're comment/question was not directed at me but for what it's worth (if any) the only potential comparator I can offer in the near future is between the Asus and Viewsonics new 1440p 240hz ULMB monitor (XG271QG).

mdzapeer

Post by mdzapeer » 09 Feb 2022, 11:00

DrR1pper wrote:
09 Feb 2022, 08:34

mdzapeer wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 12:13
I am really close to pulling the trigger on this XG27AQM, I am currently using the XG270 (still in the return window) but the 1080p is really hurting at 27in, even though I was using the XL2070 for years, but the XG270 pixel sharpness...is kinda harsh, the XL2070 was kind of softer hard to explain. Anyways went off on a tangent there. EDIT: Putting the sharpness down to zero seems to have fixed it.

It was 2 years ago now that I still had the XG270 but if I'm remembering correctly, I think the motion clarity might have been a little better on it vs. the XG27AQM because of the overshoot issue. But I'm really not sure. I know you're comment/question was not directed at me but for what it's worth (if any) the only potential comparator I can offer in the near future is between the Asus and Viewsonics new 1440p 240hz ULMB monitor (XG271QG).
I was also looking at the XG271QG as well, added to my cart in fact. I was wondering how is the ULMB performance in general...please do let me know what you think when you get it. When do you expect delivery?

DrR1pper

Post by DrR1pper » 09 Feb 2022, 12:31

mdzapeer wrote:
09 Feb 2022, 11:00
I was also looking at the XG271QG as well, added to my cart in fact. I was wondering how is the ULMB performance in general...please do let me know what you think when you get it. When do you expect delivery?
Maybe Friday.

passballtotucker

Post by passballtotucker » 09 Feb 2022, 18:42

Worraps wrote:

Same thing happens to me. I wish you could force it to always be on.