Asus RoG Strix XG27AQM

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
liquidshadowfox

Re: Asus RoG Strix XG27AQM

Post by liquidshadowfox » 13 Jul 2021, 11:10

wow I didn't know frog pursuit even existed... So more news, I tested it with ELMB sync with frog pursuit and it seems that backlight strobing is still active even below 120 hz.... I don't understand why it wasn't active before.... I can try posting more but honestly the backlight strobing below 144 hz doesn't look that good.

I think the best hack to try would be to decrease the freesync range. For example, dark souls is 60 fps locked but elmb sync @ 60 isn't that good, what if we make the freesync range from 65 - 270 hz? that way if you play dark souls, frame rate compensation will kick in and double the frame rate until it reaches over 65 hz (in this case dark souls gets doubled to 120 hz) and then you get to play 60 fps games @ 120 (frames obviously doubled) but with the backlight strobing at 120 hz AND less inverse ghosting since the monitor will be using a higher refresh.

I haven't found a way to make service menu setting stick tbh. Still kinda seeing what I can find out or hack but for now it's temporary until the monitor gets turned off, switch inputs, gpu crashes, or driver update. Any of those events cause the settings to reset and I haven't found a way to programmatically re-apply the settings yet.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 15 Jul 2021, 02:16

Can you say more about input lag? How is it? What were your previous monitors?
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 15 Jul 2021, 15:57

Discorz wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 02:16
Can you say more about input lag? How is it? What were your previous monitors?
My previous monitors are as follows
Gaming laptops for 5 years XD
Some garbage MSI VA monitor with black smear
LG 27GL83A-B
Legion Y27q-20
Samsung G7
Asus XG27QAM

I feel like the G7 has better response times but the input lag doesn't feel different. To me they both feel similar in terms of responsiveness. This panel has better dark transitions for sure and even though the response times are slower than the G7, this one has better AVG response times across all transitions vs the G7 in my opinion. I just took 14 photos in that frog test you mentioned. 7 photos with elmb sync with default OD and 7 more with my modified 0C Overdrive (slower than 12 but works best across the whole refresh range). I'll be uploading it soon... just don't know how yet.

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 15 Jul 2021, 16:18

Here's the default Frog test with elmb sync enabled with default OD (forgive my bad camera work, I tried the best I could with multiple takes) in order from top to bottom 270hz, 240hz, 165hz, 144hz, 120hz, 85hz, 60hz

Same order but with OD set to 0C (OD 12 is too high for lower refreshes)

I hope everyone finds this helpful :) also my freesync range change experiment didn't work as I expected. It disabled elmb sync when low framerate compensation kicks in so you are better off just setting the OD to 0C and play with any refresh above 85 hz and it's "good enough" imo. This isn't the best backlight strobing but it's good AND works with VRR which is really hard to get right in the first place. Just wish the OD for elmb sync was set to OD 3 (0C) or even and OD 3.5 (12).

Note: the original pics I took with default OD was taken with my phone an auto, for the second batch of photos I used pro mode and change the ISO and apeture settings a little but the big take away isn't how blurry the top photos are, it's the inverse ghosting you can clearly see in the photos.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 15 Jul 2021, 17:39

liquidshadowfox wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 15:57
Yeah, that G7 is a weird one. Much better response times than older VA generations but still got some of that dark level smearing. Its clearly visible in ufo test. And blur reduction is badly implemented, could of been better. Theres so much potential in that panel... and the curve lol

In last two days I think I literally took about 100 ufo shots :lol: I'm working on this huge but simple thread/topic about how different camera settings affect accuracy of capturing monitor motion performance - ufos vs shutter vs ISO
liquidshadowfox wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 16:18
Taking an interest into taking motion test by yourself is very much appreciated :)

But now by looking at these shots I'm very excited and confused at the same time - Is that a 60Hz ELMB-SYNC on last picture?
Because god damn that is impressive!? Can you confirm these picture reflect what your eyes see? Wonder if its the camera setting or it just works. It's hard for me to believe :)
Did you use frog pursuit fps limit/slider to change the fps/Hz?

Can you write all the OD Gain setting available in service menu, from lowest OD level to highest.
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 15 Jul 2021, 18:47

Yes, the very last picture is elmb sync @ 60 fps using the modified setting of OD gain = 0C aka OD 3. I don't know why asus didn't make OD 3 the OD for elmb sync, it's beyond me! It looks WAY better with OD 3 vs OD 4. I took all of these photos with my Samsung s20 using pro mode, shutter speed 1/250 and iso 800 I believe on the second batch of photos (the elmb sync OD 0C ones). If you really wanted to, you could obviously use a lower OD gain setting at lower refresh at the little inverse trail on 60 fps would most likely disappear. There is still a few small artifacts at lower refresh that makes objects look "softer" but it's pretty impressive for what it is. I wish I had a direct line to asus to complain to them how the messed up a really good panel by NOT including the following:
1. OD 3 on elmb sync (or option to switch between OD 3 and OD 4)
2. Option to change strobe length (seriously, you could probably get near perfect motion clarity with this monitor if they allowed the strobe length to be modified)
3. Option to enable/disable elmb sync through DDC, wasted opportunity to have software that's as robust as MSI where you can enabled elmb sync based on what application is in the foreground!
4. Option to change OD through DDC, This is already possible while Gsync is active! so we could in theory make an app to change the OD settings dynamically while you are playing a game! imagine, you can have OD 2 for less than 100 hz, OD 3 from 101 hz - 200 hz and OD 4 above 200 hz!

Asus was so close to having a perfect monitor here!

I did use the fps limit/slider to change the fps in the frog test.

G7 is still a really good panel imo. I love the response times and the curve is SO immersive along with that 32" screen. I DO love the pixel density on 27" though :)

I'm scared to go too high on the OD gain but 50 is the highest I've gone. Anything above 1A just causes more inverse ghosting at 270hz.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 16 Jul 2021, 02:30

liquidshadowfox wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 18:47
Well, I'll be damned lol. So even that slight overshoot at 60Hz can be fixed. You make me wanna try it out now.

When you say objects look softer at lower refresh rates, do you mean like this - notice the ufo sharpness on 144Hz ELMB (shorter/longer pulse duration)?

Note that shutter speed for motion test should be at 1/4 of monitor refresh rate (Hz/4) (e.g. S1/60 @240Hz, S1/30 @120Hz, S1/15 @60Hz...). This especially applies to non-strobed test. Longer speeds can be used but its much harder to take a sharp steady image. 1/250 is a bit short, but I guess its ok for strobing as long as its tracked accurately. Sync track in frog pursuit for photo accuracy would be nice but I don't know how toggle it.

Asus and many other manufacturers tend to slowly milk us with only small improvements. There is always something not well made. They have to leave something to be better at higher-end models. If more people complained/wrote directly to asus about this they might even put out some firmware update (if supported) in future. I encourage you and others to do so.

EDIT:
I just noticed ELMB-SYNC at lower refresh rates with default OD looks much much blurrier than OD 0C. What is going on?
Your pics:
https://i.imgur.com/KQxmT0i.jpeg - default OD 60Hz - is it double strobe?
https://i.imgur.com/W9CEZKo.jpeg - OD 0C 60Hz
Does this mean OD 0C doesn't just have less overshoot but also strobes completely different and better than default OD?? Or is the blur caused by camera?
Last edited by Discorz on 16 Jul 2021, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.

elexor

Post by elexor » 16 Jul 2021, 03:45

Discorz wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 02:30
I just noticed ELMB-SYNC at lower refresh rates with default OD looks much much blurrier than OD 0C. What is going on?
default OD would be much too strong for 60hz

wow is that monitor single strobing 60hz? those screenshots look similar to my hacked vg279qm

I use od 40 for 60hz usually not much difference between 0 and 40.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 16 Jul 2021, 03:55

elexor wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 03:45
Yeah man, I think we have a solid first single strobe ELMB-SYNC @60HZ.

I saw your thread on hacking VG279QM and wanted to ask you for some ufo shots.

EDIT:
It is not single strobe ELMB-SYNC.
Proper camera exposure settings are required for valid pursuit.
Last edited by Discorz on 26 Jul 2021, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.

elexor

Post by elexor » 16 Jul 2021, 04:07

Discorz wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 03:55
here's a vid
i had the strobe duty really low for that one. so fairly dim
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R32y48vUPs