Asus RoG Strix XG27AQM

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Discorz
VIP Member

Re: Asus RoG Strix XG27AQM

Post by Discorz » 07 Jul 2021, 06:23

Can OD GAIN even be modified? Sometimes asus don't allow some settings to be changed inside service menu.
But select it and try changing it. Use UFO Ghosting Test and switch between values until inverse ghosting/coronas starts to appear or distract.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 07 Jul 2021, 11:32

How would you modify? it looks like it would be something you type in vs something you just move up and down but I'll give it a try later today.

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 07 Jul 2021, 13:05

So I can select it and change it by going up or down. I don't know how far I can take it because I am scared to break my display by applying too much voltage to my pixels. Can't really notice any difference when using elmb sync but I'll see if I can tell a difference. Maybe elmb sync locks the OD gain and it would only affect without elmb sync enabled.

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 07 Jul 2021, 13:22

I can confirm that if you do an OD gain of 10 instead of the default 1A, the image has way less coronas! :)
If I can find a way to change the strobe length of the elmb sync we'd be golden!

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 07 Jul 2021, 13:43

Discorz wrote:
06 Jul 2021, 09:48
I couldn't find any info about strobe length/pwm in user manual. Don't know where you read that.
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/LCD% ... nglish.pdf

For service menu try clicking power and joystick button at the same time, then open osd and see if new "F" letter appeared, open it. Thats how it works on my VG279QM.
Page 20 reads
"ELMB/ELMB SYNC: ELMB can only be activated when Adaptive-Sync (DP)/
Variable Refresh Rate is Off and the refresh rate is 120Hz, 144Hz, 165Hz, 240Hz,
or 270Hz. ELMB SYNC allows you to turn on the function when Adaptive-Sync
(DP)/ Variable Refresh Rate is On. This function eliminates screen tearing,
reduces ghosting and motion blur when playing games. The function includes
5-level clarity and position adjustment."

Another downside with service menu is that the changes aren't permanent. They only stay until you turn off the monitor or switch to another input. Then it wipes out your settings, I can't even save the settings anywhere to re-apply them.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 08 Jul 2021, 03:22

"The function includes 5-level clarity and position adjustment."

That is confusing, this sounds like pwm adjustment yes. It could be a mistake. How many overdrive levels are there?

"OD: Improves the gray level response time of the LCD panel.
This function is not available when ELMB SYNC is enabled."

Can u try ELMB with both Adaptive-Sync enabled or disabled and see if OD can be adjusted in one of those two situations.
I saw that when user manual came out, overdrive locked with ELMB/SYNC. Did they tune it well then?
Same thing with VG279QM. It had too much overshoot below 200Hz/fps with ELMB/SYNC and overdrive couldn't be changed to fix it.
See here. Can you give some info on that, how is ELMB/SYNC overshoot within full vrr range, 60-270Hz? If its bad, can it be fixed with service menu od gain?

liquidshadowfox wrote:
07 Jul 2021, 13:43
Another downside with service menu is that the changes aren't permanent.
What about if you don't turn off monitor and let it go to sleep only, does it lose settings then?
Try "Favorite > Customized Setting" for saving presets, but im not sure if that will save service menu settings.
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 08 Jul 2021, 10:24

Questions
1. How do you make the monitor go to sleep? I don't see that option in the OSD

Answers
1. Customized Settings does NOT save the service menu settings. It will simply save everything as though the service menu options were not enabled
2. OD can't be adjusted with ELMB enabled regardless if it's fixed ELMB or ELMB sync
3. ELMB sync and fixed ELMB uses OD 4 which is good with minimal overshoot above 200 hz, tolerable overshoot down until 120 hz and the overshoot gets bad below 120 hz.
4. Editing OD gain in service menu shifts the overshoot somewhat, using my settings there's no overshoot above 200 hz, minimal overshoot between 120 hz - 200 hz and the overshoot below 120 hz is noticible but not as much as before. Maybe I'll post pics of Gsync pendulum test pattern to show overshoot at different refresh ranges with and without my OD gain settings.
5. There are 5 OD settings, OD 5 is unusable with WAY too much overshoot.
6. ELMB sync seems to disable itself below 125 hz and reverts to regular Gsync. Maybe asus decided it was best to avoid major cross talk at lower refreshes.

Additional notes
Based on the UFO test pics you provided from the asus VG279QM, ELMB sync has an overshoot level between 240hz and 144 hz on the elmb sync column above 200 hz but with OD gain I can make 200 - 270 hz looks like the ufo in the 280 hz elmb sync column. I'll double check for the rest of the refresh ranges.

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 08 Jul 2021, 14:17

To add a little more info, looking at the service menu values for OD gain while changing the OD settings while not using ELMB sync I noticed the following
OD 2 = 07
OD 3 = 0C
OD 4 = 1A

Recommended OD for elmb sync
OD gain = 12

which is 6 steps above OD 3 and 8 steps below OD 4. Essentially a near perfect OD 3.5 with no noticeable ghosting or inverse coronas.

The OD gain is represented using hexadecimal so essentially
OD 2 = 07
OD 3 = 12
OD 4 = 26
Rec. OD = 18

liquidshadowfox

Post by liquidshadowfox » 08 Jul 2021, 14:33

I know it's not my best camera work and one of the images is slightly out of focus but I wanted to show you what it looks like.
This one is with my ELMB sync with OD 12

This is ELMB sync disabled (regular Gsync with OD 12)

Both images at 270 hz

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 09 Jul 2021, 01:45

The monitor goes to sleep by it self, meaning just turn of your pc and leave monitor powered on. Try it.

So basically ELMB SYNC overshoot can be fixed with service menu OD GAIN but the changes you make won't save. They could of just allow the OD to be modified in first place, its already coded in. That's such a shame. I don't understand why manufacturers do this. Its a wasted potential.

I like that you decided to do UFO test by your self. Usually people don't think of it as an easy task. I think its the best way to review/show people how is the motion performance of a specific monitor. All the charts and numbers that reviewers provide mostly don't translate to real world performance so it ends up only confusing people even more (Hardware Unboxed is an exception, they're good). That is why I started to collect all the ufos found online and put them in one place.

Is first picture ELMB or ELMB SYNC? I see you wrote ELMB SYNC but it look as good as classical ELMB. Does this mean asus finally fixed it. On VG279QM looks much worse. If they really did fix it how does it look on lower refresh rates? I ask because on PG329Q asus tuned ELMB SYNC only to look good at max refresh rate of 175Hz, but as soon as Hz goes down it starts to look as bad as VG279QM but without overshoot (see here)