Asus RoG Strix XG27AQM

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Worraps

Re: Asus RoG Strix XG27AQM

Post by Worraps » 10 Feb 2022, 21:53

passballtotucker wrote:
09 Feb 2022, 18:42
Worraps wrote:
30 Jan 2022, 10:01
Another issue with this monitor is that ELMB disables itself upon computer shutdown or even restart, so everyday, when I turn on my computer, I have to use the joystick and enable ELMB again, which is getting very annoying at this point. Turning the monitor off and on also does this.

I even installed ASUS's Display Widget software since you can change some monitor settings through there instead of using the monitor's menu/OSD, but the ELMB option is not there, so I always have to manually use the joystick.

Honestly, this is the worst part and makes me want to leave it disabled. The thing is I literally purchased this monitor at full price for it's great specs and above average motion blur reduction so it woudn't make sense not to use it, so I just force myself.

Has anyone found a way to leave it enabled even after restarting the computer? Or at least a program where I can enable it without reaching for the joystick every day?

I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet, makes me feel this might only be happening to me.
Same thing happens to me. I wish you could force it to always be on.
Thanks for the feedback. It is indeed a bit annoying and I sometimes only remember a few hours in.

It can also disable itself mid session sometimes. Just today I had enabled it when I hopped on and then later I noticed it had turned off by itself without me restarting the monitor or the computer, which is also super weird. Once again, shouldn't happen on such an high end, expensive monitor. I want to enable settings and forget about it. Now I'm developing this habit of reaching the joystick and enabling ELMB everytime Windows starts up, and I really hope I didn't have to.

DrR1pper

Post by DrR1pper » 10 Feb 2022, 22:25

Just wanted to say, I take back I said about it being better to use this monitor in non ELMB mode in CSGO match-maker mode. It is unbelievably good/better with ELMB, especially after tuning all the various settings you can to make the image brighter and pop in game for competitive edge (very impressed by ASUS in this regard). Will upload a pic of mine later if you want (in bed now). I’d be surprised if the Viewsonic is going to win me over anymore than this ASUS has but let’s see. I’m going to be keeping two new monitors either way, just a case of whether it’ll be 2x ASUS, 2x Viewsonic or 1x of each.

The advantage of low motion blur is just so great. It’s really like a cheat mode when playing against others without it.

Worraps

Post by Worraps » 12 Feb 2022, 11:54

DrR1pper wrote:
10 Feb 2022, 22:25
Just wanted to say, I take back I said about it being better to use this monitor in non ELMB mode in CSGO match-maker mode. It is unbelievably good/better with ELMB, especially after tuning all the various settings you can to make the image brighter and pop in game for competitive edge (very impressed by ASUS in this regard). Will upload a pic of mine later if you want (in bed now). I’d be surprised if the Viewsonic is going to win me over anymore than this ASUS has but let’s see. I’m going to be keeping two new monitors either way, just a case of whether it’ll be 2x ASUS, 2x Viewsonic or 1x of each.

The advantage of low motion blur is just so great. It’s really like a cheat mode when playing against others without it.
Is this with G-Sync ON or OFF? People have said that with G-Sync OFF, ELMB performs even better than when you have G-Sync ON since it is ELMB and not ELMB-Sync. Honestly, I'm not able to tell the difference between these 2. All I can say is that it is worth leaving ON since motion clarity is improved and I can't see a downside to this, whether you use G-Sync or not.

Another tip is that if the ELMB brightness is too much, you can lower the contrast to make up for it. I do this since I'm in a very dark room and the brightness actually starts hurting my eyes after a few hours. By lowering the contrast it helps a lot since you cannot lower brightness. I have mine set to something between 25 to 40 (still figuring it out).

effjaysea

Post by effjaysea » 12 Feb 2022, 14:23

Think I'll return my XG27AQM on monday. I find the XB273UGX to perform better with no overshoot during ULMB use. Both look near identical and the only real edge the asus holds for me is the out of box calibration and less ips glow. Acer also is over a 100 euros cheaper for me.

mdzapeer

Post by mdzapeer » 12 Feb 2022, 15:29

DrR1pper wrote:

Did you get the XG271QG? wondering what's the strobing range on the monitor under ULMB?

DrR1pper

Post by DrR1pper » 12 Feb 2022, 15:44

mdzapeer wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 15:29
DrR1pper wrote:

Did you get the XG271QG? wondering what's the strobing range on the monitor under ULMB?
Arrived but not had a chance to test yet. Maybe tomorrow.
Last edited by DrR1pper on 12 Feb 2022, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

DrR1pper

Post by DrR1pper » 12 Feb 2022, 15:48

Worraps wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 11:54

Is this with G-Sync ON or OFF? People have said that with G-Sync OFF, ELMB performs even better than when you have G-Sync ON since it is ELMB and not ELMB-Sync. Honestly, I'm not able to tell the difference between these 2. All I can say is that it is worth leaving ON since motion clarity is improved and I can't see a downside to this, whether you use G-Sync or not.

Another tip is that if the ELMB brightness is too much, you can lower the contrast to make up for it. I do this since I'm in a very dark room and the brightness actually starts hurting my eyes after a few hours. By lowering the contrast it helps a lot since you cannot lower brightness. I have mine set to something between 25 to 40 (still figuring it out).
I did a lot of back and forth with gsync on with ELMB and could not tell difference either....at least when running CSGO which is keeping monitor refresh rate at 240hz. Most likely would notice a difference with gsync on in single player games where fps is lower. I tested various fixed refresh rates and the ghost/overshoot trail becomes noticeable/noticeably-worse.

I actually find brightness lower than I'd like still. I'm the type of person that uses max brightness always, even in non ELMB. To aid with what I view as still too dim a screen with ELMB than I'd ideally like, I max contrast and brightness and use the shadow boost @ level 3 (with gamma switched from 2.2 to 2.5 to compensate for loss of dark detail). Then keep saturation at 50% to increase perception of brightness more (Helmholtz–Kohlrausch effect) otherwise in non ELMB, it's 45%.

DrR1pper

Post by DrR1pper » 12 Feb 2022, 15:53

effjaysea wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 14:23
Think I'll return my XG27AQM on monday. I find the XB273UGX to perform better with no overshoot during ULMB use. Both look near identical and the only real edge the asus holds for me is the out of box calibration and less ips glow. Acer also is over a 100 euros cheaper for me.
And 4k over 1440p. Does the peak brightness on the Acer appear brighter in ULMB and non ULMB than the ASUS? Curious because the HDR600 certification.

mdzapeer

Post by mdzapeer » 12 Feb 2022, 16:02

effjaysea wrote:
12 Feb 2022, 14:23
Does the Acer XB273UGX strobe below 120hz?

kriegor

Post by kriegor » 02 Mar 2022, 13:48

DrR1pper wrote:
09 Feb 2022, 08:34
Since my post, I went ahead and bought one (Asus XG27AQM) too so I know what you mean now. I think it's because it doesn't have a dedicated gsync hardware module inside it. I remember this difference between the Viewsonic XG270 (1080p 240hz without gsync module) and XG270QG (1440p 144hz (165hz OC'able) with gsync module). I have to say, i think prefer the non gsync module monitor versions. I know what you mean about the frame skipping at higher res thing and noticed it too when enabling gsync via monitor OSD that it smoothed it out with no perceptible increase to input lag. I don't know if it's just in my head but it feels like there is more input lag when using gsync on a gsync module monitor (or at least with my only experience with one, being the 1440p XG270QG) when playing CSGO but doesn't on the this monitor (Asus XG27AQM) with non module gsync and I think it was the same when I still had the XG270 (1080p 240hz non gsync module).
techteamGBT has measured gsync enabled to actually have less input lag than with gsync disabled on the PG259QNR, which has a 1-360hz gsync module.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftZzaT6Tchs