New pc stutters in every single game. Random frame time skips despite good fps

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: New pc stutters in every single game. Random frame time skips despite good fps

Post by RealNC » 07 Jul 2021, 18:36

I don't know. As a last resort, see if disabling the game's FPS limiter and then limiting to 60FPS with RTSS or nvidia's limiter fixes it. Run this tool before starting the game:

https://github.com/uberhalit/SekiroFpsUnlockAndMore

Simply run the tool, check the FPS box (it's the first option) and set it to 0. I think that disables the game limiter. If not, set it to something like 200. Start the game afterwards. The tool should detect the game starting and will then modify its memory to remove the FPS limit. Set a 60FPS (or 59.9FPS) limit in RTSS instead and see if it helps.

Important: The tool must always be started each time before the game starts. It does not modify the game on disk or anything like that. It only modifies the game's memory (so the RAM it uses). So it's not permanent and thus it needs to run every time you play.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

stuttersolver

Re: New pc stutters in every single game. Random frame time skips despite good fps

Post by stuttersolver » 07 Jul 2021, 20:19

Yes I use rivatuner and nvidia frame limiter, RTSS helps a little, but really just highlights the problem even further, as my frame graph will be perfect, and then have gigantic spikes very well illustrated after using RTSS frame lock.

Appreciate your help, but its not just Sekiro. Was just playing Code Vein, and it was so bad there. uploading a video soon.

stuttersolver

Post by stuttersolver » 07 Jul 2021, 21:01

phpBB [video]

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 07 Jul 2021, 21:34

That doesn't look bad to me. It's not like there's constant spikes. They're very rare.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

stuttersolver

Post by stuttersolver » 08 Jul 2021, 08:56

Sometimes it can be once every minute or two yes, so do you think its normal ?? someone sent me footage of their Sekiro and it was a constant flat line, not one single spike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCwwuyjma4U

^ someone elses footage

my sekiro is nowhere near that smooth. It would be nice if I could have a similar experience.

stuttersolver

Post by stuttersolver » 08 Jul 2021, 18:58

Playing Code Vein im getting spikes from 16ms to 60ms frequently.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 12 Jul 2021, 02:11

stuttersolver wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 18:58
Playing Code Vein im getting spikes from 16ms to 60ms frequently.
That game uses Denuvo for its copy protection, so maybe that explains it. Denuvo protected games tend to have some rather horrible frame time spikes on mid-range CPUs:

https://www.guru3d.com/news_story/subst ... nuvo).html

stuttersolver

Post by stuttersolver » 14 Jul 2021, 19:27

Someone said...

"vs600 which is a grey unit, is a tad bit better then the infamous orange vs650, 550 units

i have the same psu as well in a i5 8400, gtx 1080 system (similar to yours)

i will have it changed by the end of its warranty because its clearly it cant take the load properly.

its 12v rail degraded over time (first months, stable 12.288v, after that 12.192 at 3 weeks. and now lookinat at a whoppping 12.096). its still in the range of reliable 12v voltage, but it is surely having problems loading power to the system and degraded over 8 months"

I have this same PSU.

This is my PSU: https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categorie ... 9020119-NA

Could this be why?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 14 Jul 2021, 23:25

I don't know much about PSUs, but I do know that a GPU's performance is not affected. Either the GPU gets the power it needs or it doesn't. If it doesn't, you get a system crash.

stuttersolver

Post by stuttersolver » 15 Jul 2021, 22:14

Best video I have taken yet which very obviously highlights the peculair issue. I timestamped every single time it made a massive freeze

phpBB [video]

Open up the video link and click the timestamps in the description to see how obvious it is.

Timestamps are in description of video, but also will put here to illuminate how bad it is. Something is definitely not right!!

Ive gone so far to unplug every single thing from my motherboard including RGB, USB 3.0, Reset switch, HD audio..everything that is not essential. Nothing helps.
Please study the framegraph in the video, as it is a very specific type of frame skipping. Its like my computer freezes when trying to process loading new information or something like this. The frame rate and temperature DOES NOT MATTER.. Sometimes it even stutters to 65ms!!!!! IT EVEN HAPPENS If i lock to 30fps..... im stumped!!!! :cry:

TIMESTAMPS:
0:29
0:45
1:28
1:58
2:30
3:27
4:28
4:45
5:25 (HUGE ONE)
7:50 (HUGE ONE)
8:58 (HUGE ONE)