Monitor for PC fighters?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ZBuster

Monitor for PC fighters?

Post by ZBuster » 12 Jul 2021, 03:30

What would be the best monitor(s) for fighting games on PC? They are locked at 60 fps generally so I'm not sure how that affects things. Input delay is probably the most important factor?

I didn't see a general 'ask questions here thread' so here is my beggar post. Thanks for any steering.

74tm

Re: Monitor for PC fighters?

Post by 74tm » 12 Jul 2021, 20:10

If I were you I'd consider a 144hz monitor, most of them still preform well at 60hz. I would recommend the Benq Ex2510 or Aoc 24G2 for 144hz. If you don't really play anything outside of fighting games and see no use for higher refresh rates then you can find a decent 60hz monitor for gaming. However, it would have to be a TN panel since to my knowledge there are no fast 60Hz IPS monitors when it comes to motion handling, at least not at 1080p. For 60hz the Asus vg246h seems like a decent choice with good colors because of it's IPS panel. For better motion handling you could go with the TN version of this monitor, vg245h, just expect worse colors.

ZBuster

Post by ZBuster » 12 Jul 2021, 20:49

74tm wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 20:10
If I were you I'd consider a 144hz monitor, most of them still preform well at 60hz. I would recommend the Benq Ex2510 or Aoc 24G2 for 144hz. If you don't really play anything outside of fighting games and see no use for higher refresh rates then you can find a decent 60hz monitor for gaming. However, it would have to be a TN panel since to my knowledge there are no fast 60Hz IPS monitors when it comes to motion handling, at least not at 1080p. For 60hz the Asus vg246h seems like a decent choice with good colors because of it's IPS panel. For better motion handling you could go with the TN version of this monitor, vg245h, just expect worse colors.
I mean I may as well get one that doubles as a good monitor for other games(fps etc) too since I'm willing to spend the money. As long as I'm not making sacrifices on the fighting game front.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 13 Jul 2021, 10:54

If you run the monitor at its highest refresh rate, it's going to have less input lag even for 60FPS games. So there's no special considerations for fighting games. VRR (like g-sync/freesync) is important here to avoid stutter due to the FPS/Hz mismatch.

I believe Street Fighter 5 is preventing VRR from working, but that's the only game I know of that does this. For everything else, 60FPS at 144Hz (or 240Hz, whatever you decide to get) is going to be superior when in comes to input lag compared to 60FPS at 60Hz. That's true even without VRR, but then you'd get some jitter due to the FPS/Hz mismatch.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.