Low Resolutions Problem on VG279QM

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
AliasUruz

Low Resolutions Problem on VG279QM

Post by AliasUruz » 12 Jul 2021, 16:22

I'm having a problem with trying lower resolutions on CRU and Nvidia Control Panel, anything higher than 720p and lower than 1080p is REALLY glitchy on the VG279QM.
Sure, I could use GPU scaling, but the screen gets blurrier and I aways did prefer Monitor Scaling.
I tried using Exact Reduced and every other option.
:arrow: Is there anything new I can try?

Thanks for reading.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Low Resolutions Problem on VG279QM

Post by RealNC » 13 Aug 2021, 04:06

AliasUruz wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 16:22
I'm having a problem with trying lower resolutions on CRU and Nvidia Control Panel, anything higher than 720p and lower than 1080p is REALLY glitchy on the VG279QM.
Sure, I could use GPU scaling, but the screen gets blurrier and I aways did prefer Monitor Scaling.
I tried using Exact Reduced and every other option.
:arrow: Is there anything new I can try?
The way I fixed it (because my monitor does not support display scaling at refresh rates higher than 60) is to just use GPU upscaling and use nvidia sharpening in the nvidia control panel. AMD has an equivalent option in its control panel.

The amount of sharpening to apply depends on the resolution. I have a 1440p monitor, and for playing at 1080p on a Maxwell GPU for example, I found out that 36% or 38% results in the same subjective sharpness as a native 1440p image. For other resolution and other GPUs (for example NVidia Turing GPUs introduces a new GPU upscaler that is sharper) you need different values.

You can find out the needed sharpening amount yourself by simply taking a screenshot of a game running at native res first, then enable sharpening in your driver control panel for the game's profile (and only the game's profile, do not ever use global sharpening.) Then switch the game to the lower resolution you want. Then alt+tab between the game and the screenshot (make sure you view the screenshot in fullscreen mode and unscaled) and compare the sharpness of both. It's gonna take a bit of time, but once you find out the perfect sharpening amount, you can use that for all games that use that specific resolution.

I recommend using The Witcher 3 if you have that game to find out the correct sharpening values. That game has some very high detail in its inventory screen if you wear witcher armor with metal rings, and in Geralt's face when he has a beard. High detail with lots of contrast like that are perfect to tweak sharpening because they make it obvious whenever you under or oversharpen things.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.