Very confused as to why I’m suddenly getting MUCH more fps on a higher resolution.

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Ecliptttt

Very confused as to why I’m suddenly getting MUCH more fps on a higher resolution.

Post by Ecliptttt » 18 Jul 2021, 04:10

Hi everyone, long time lurker first time poster here. I’m just wondering why after upgrading from a 27 in 144hz 1920x1080 monitor to a 200 hz 2560x1080 monitor and changing literally nothing other than Resolution (to a higher one) and turning on v sync, suddenly I get 40-50 more frames on every single game I play. First lost ark where I was stretching forced 21:9 before so that made sense, but then for league of legends as well so now I’m just mighty confused. Not really a dire issue just looking for some kind of answer, even an attempted one!

Gtx 1070
i710700k
16gb ram

Thank you so much in advance!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Very confused as to why I’m suddenly getting MUCH more fps on a higher resolution.

Post by RealNC » 18 Jul 2021, 04:25

How much FPS are you getting? Because if it was 144 before, that makes sense with vsync.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Ecliptttt

Re: Very confused as to why I’m suddenly getting MUCH more fps on a higher resolution.

Post by Ecliptttt » 18 Jul 2021, 04:34

Quite literally I went from 148 fps steady in almost all games I’ve tested, which is where I set my manual fps cap to because it was the most consistent fps I could get (pretty much never fluctuated up or down regardless of settings unless everything was max or all low), and ow I’m getting 188-190 fps constantly. Also v sync is off (in NVCP$ but g sync is on, could I really get these kinds of gains just from that? I didn’t raise or lower graphics settings in anything other than resolution.

Ecliptttt

Post by Ecliptttt » 18 Jul 2021, 04:42

Could it be at all possible that my gpu wasn’t being utilized properly before because of the difference in power between the 1070 and the i710700k? Until I went to a higher resolution, necessitating the gpu to actually kick in? I don’t see why this would be the case either but I’m truly baffled.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 18 Jul 2021, 05:32

Ecliptttt wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 04:42
Could it be at all possible that my gpu wasn’t being utilized properly before because of the difference in power between the 1070 and the i710700k? Until I went to a higher resolution, necessitating the gpu to actually kick in?
No.

I have no explanation. Other than some kind of user error.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Ecliptttt

Post by Ecliptttt » 18 Jul 2021, 16:32

Okay lol. I mean I literally plugged my new monitor in and am now getting these frames after changing nothing else. Interesting answer though. Hopefully someone else has a more concise one considering you said this could happen from v sync which it cannot.

Crazyness

Post by Crazyness » 18 Jul 2021, 19:13

i play a game which have internal resolution scaler..
so i can set my main res and then set aspect ratio to my choosing..
+ temporal upscaling..

so i experimented a lot :)

so when you set 4 example 1920x1080 and set 21:9 or 16:10
it will change resolution approximately 2 aspect ratio
instead of 1080p its gonna 1046 or 1200 just giving example..

so ..what i found out..
+ we have same gpu ,mine is FE
is that 1070 works the best in that 2560x1080 21/9 res

and my conclusion is that on this particular res,
there is virtualy 0 bottleneck involved..

i am on 6700nonK (overclocked 4.5) and everything running so good
so on yours 10700k ,its even better synergy..

cpu utilization is the best when its between 40+ till 80 %
and gpu utilization is best when its not 90+..

and pascal gpus starting from 1070 and bellow
have a very hard time on 1440p
plus there are some reports that almost all nvidia gpus
have some sort of issue regarding 1440p and above

so we know now whats the best usage
on cpu and gpu..

and when we translate that formula
into 2560x1080
we got a hidden gem
when if you have some sort of motion blur reduction tech
or even higher hz display without any tech
you got yourself a winner

why?

bcs.. your system is fully optimized 2 take any hit
regarding ingame graphics or frame time and pace
or using some sort of motion blur reduction tech
or pure frame force on higher hz..
Last edited by Crazyness on 18 Jul 2021, 19:54, edited 1 time in total.

Crazyness

Post by Crazyness » 18 Jul 2021, 19:40

[/quote]
No.

I have no explanation. Other than some kind of user error.
[/quote]

First of all dear RealNc ty 4 all the good work
you have done in sync area..

time consuming testing on so many different
posibilities and outcomes..

Ty bro you saved a lot of personas
having a realy hard times deciding
when and in which circumstances
they should use so many different options

in these modern times choosing the right 1
is almost like double edge sword ..
so big ty!

this is what i wrote mistaken you 4 Jorimt :)
btw i always think of you 2 as the same persona
you both are green so i always make this mistake :)

i think you said it no,bcs you missed the fact
that he specifically said 145 or 148 fps lock.. not sure rn
and 1070 with 10700k literaly crushing the 1080p

so utilization is the answer in this case 100%

Ecliptttt

Post by Ecliptttt » 19 Jul 2021, 01:25

Oh wow thank you so much Crazyness that actually makes so much sense. Because i quite literally changed nothing else, and it always felt like my cpu was doing all the work as soon as i upgraded to a 10700k. This is quite literally the only explanation out of everything i have researched that makes sense! Thank you!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 19 Jul 2021, 04:27

Ecliptttt wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 01:25
Oh wow thank you so much Crazyness that actually makes so much sense. Because i quite literally changed nothing else, and it always felt like my cpu was doing all the work as soon as i upgraded to a 10700k. This is quite literally the only explanation out of everything i have researched that makes sense! Thank you!
Well, you can easily replicate the behavior then if you switch the game to 1920x1080, right?