G-Sync vs G-Sync Compatible (Relative Smoothness)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Mrbeanz

G-Sync vs G-Sync Compatible (Relative Smoothness)

Post by Mrbeanz » 27 Jul 2021, 15:09

I'm in the market for a new monitor. My current monitor is a 5 year old 1440p 144hz G-Sync monitor.

I have heard that native G-Sync monitors feel smoother compared to G-Sync Compatible displays. Is there any truth to this? If budget isn't an issue, is it still worth looking into native G-Sync displays?

How about also in terms of the range of supported refresh rates? I also understand that G-Sync compatible displays have more limited ranges of VRR whereas native G-Sync tends to support ranges from 1Hz to 240hz (or whatever the max rated refresh rate of the display is).

Anyway, just looking for some general advice as I go into shopping mode.

In terms of what I'm looking for, my ideal monitor would be the following:

27", 1440p, 240hz, native G-Sync (G-Sync Ultimate ideally), with good HDR performance (600+).

However, since native G-Sync displays seem to be few and far between nowadays, I'm wondering if I should just give up on that and go with a G-Sync compatible display instead.