Do GSync Monitors Still Run GPU Scaling?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ball2hi

Do GSync Monitors Still Run GPU Scaling?

Post by ball2hi » 01 Aug 2021, 12:09

I remember reading from years back about how GSync monitors are always running GPU scaling and that you can't turn it off (without some obscure work-arounds).

I'm able to select these options, and if I play a game in fullscreen exclusive and use a smaller resolution games do not scale at all. However, the scaling option on my monitor doesn't seem to have any impact anyways:

Changing the scaling in the display options doesn't seem to actually scale games...? By default, it's [Fix Aspect Ratio]. I do note that the monitor looks very different during high-motion if I select anything but 1:1, even though nothing seems to get scaled up from settings here.

So I want to know, is my monitor still running gpu-scaling? I'm confused because nothing scales unless I have something set in the nvidia options.

disq

Re: Do GSync Monitors Still Run GPU Scaling?

Post by disq » 01 Aug 2021, 14:30

I also have an older ViewSonic model than yours and exact same behavior. In my case, scaling can only be done via HDMI port and it's locked at 60Hz.

ball2hi

Post by ball2hi » 01 Aug 2021, 16:39

disq wrote:
01 Aug 2021, 14:30
I also have an older ViewSonic model than yours and exact same behavior. In my case, scaling can only be done via HDMI port and it's locked at 60Hz.
So the scaling-option from it's on-screen display only applies to HDMI?

So if I'm running DP, with GSync on, is GPU scaling on somehow but not working?

disq

Post by disq » 01 Aug 2021, 18:16

Sorry, i meant to say Display scaling, that's what those OSD options are for. And it only works via HDMI.

When using DisplayPort, despite still having the "Display" option under scaling menu on nVidia CP, it does nothing.

About GPU scaling it also appear to does nothing over DisplayPort & GSYNC, or if it does, it's a very bad job. I also tend to play at lower resolutions than native and in my case, it doesn't help with image clarity at all.

hsEnter

Post by hsEnter » 02 Aug 2021, 08:20

my alienware aw2521h 360hz gsync is on display scaling by default ! Gsync is ON and i'm using a displayport