POLL - Do you use display motion blur reduction? (backlight strobing/BFI)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!

Do you use motion blur reduction? (backlight strobing/BFI)

Yes, always
40%
Sometimes
21%
No, never
34%
I have never tried it before
6%

Total votes: 53

Crazyness

Re: POLL - Do you use display motion blur reduction? (backlight strobing/BFI)

Post by Crazyness » 09 Aug 2021, 03:24

5-6 years ago, i was unfortunate enough 2 not now anything about blur reduction,QFT and other panel techs..

so what i did when i bought my first lets say "gaming" monitor,i was guided just by hertz and resolution..

so i bought cheapest AOC 241QX 2k 144hz which i still use 2 this day,its just a freesync -gsync comp without any sort of tech
and without any chance 2 improve ghosting blur..
not able 2 overclock not able 2 implement any sort of blur reduction without hard mod..

so i never had d pleasure 2 actually experience bfi..

i hope that will change in d next couple of months,and then maybe i can vote differently from current NEVER :)

and 1 more thing,when i said i was guided by only hertz and res..i forgot 2 say that "bits" also played a roll
so my question is this..

should newbies just look a panel by a "bit" number and be completely safe from making d same mistake as i did?

4 example ..10bits panels are all with some sort tech inside them ,if not all the tech curently available in this day of age..

so are "bits" ultimate guide for newbies 2 buy a panel with all sorts of techs if money dont playing a role?

and also if money play a big role in choice of buying a new monitor,
should they also use "bits" as reference ,lower the bits lower the price?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Aug 2021, 15:43

Bits aren’t everything.

There are 6bit+FRC panels with vastly superior motion handling than all 10bit panels.

It depends on your priorities. Color or motion? Strobing makes a big difference than 60Hz vs 144Hz too, for those who consider strobing important.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Crazyness

Post by Crazyness » 10 Aug 2021, 04:07

Ok..let me rephrase my initial question..

Can you name me 3 branded monitors in d last 5 years with 10bit panel without any sort of tech implemented?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Aug 2021, 14:12

Crazyness wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 04:07

Can you name me 3 branded monitors in d last 5 years with 10bit panel without any sort of tech implemented?
Easy. 10-bit panels without strobe-backlight motion blur reduction technologies:

- LG 27GN950-B gaming monitor with 4K 160Hz panel. (RTINGS)
- The Apple Pro Display XDR display is also another one.
- BenQ EX2780 gaming monitor. (RTINGS)

Strobe backlights will be practically obsolete once we can reliably get much closer to 1000fps 1000Hz -- even 480fps at 480Hz with proper GtG. Hz-based blur reduction can be vastly superior to strobe-based blur reduction. Doubling Hz (and framerate) halves display motion blur assuming GtG=0 (even when GtG is instant, MPRT is never 0).

And not to mention, Hz-based blur reduction requires GPUs powered by a 1.21 jigawatt flux capacitor with frame rate amplification tech. So we're stuck with strobing as a motion blur reduction technology.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RonsonPL

Post by RonsonPL » 10 Aug 2021, 19:13

Strobing is a must.
Correction: Usable strobing is a must.

I wish at least here the poll would came up more optimistic, but it is what it is

The extremely though challenge shouldn't be the reason to give up, though. More displays capable of good motion are needed. Even if you make a poll among 1000000 random gamers and they tell you that only 0,001% is interested. It's still worth it. "Seeing is believing" as they say. Expose more gamers to the advantages of having clear motion in gaming. That's the only way of making it more popular and more important.
More people need to see (and feel) the difference.
Fingers crossed, you will keep finding the time and energy to lead the charge, despite rather disheartening polls like this one, Chief :)

About the challenge of making it mainstream:

The difference is not easy to understand because of psychological side of it. Human brain doesn't stop during gaming, to think about what's missing. And it's prone to forget about the stuff visible on clear motion displays. This is often called "getting used to". Everyone surely saw people saying that about 30fps gaming and such.
This fact, plus unusable strobe modes on many monitors, the knowledge requirements (not everyone knows that 98fps won't work on 100Hz strobed display. not everyone knows how to reach stable high framerate) and then higher hardware requirements. Then the insane prices of cards and monitors in recent years. Then the problems of postprocess heavy games, and if the game is using for example Temporal Anti-aliasing, the difference narrows. Some games don't even allow to toggle motion blur off (it's not as bad as on consoles, of course) Then there's the problem with mutually exclusive free/G-sync and strobing in majority of strobing monitors. Then there are people who value competitiveness (for me, 5ms won't change much, I'm bad anyway ;) ).
There are even more roadblocks towards mass popularization of strobed gaming. Like the fact the new games designed for PS5 and Xbox Series consoles, might struggle with high framerates if the original game was designed for 30fps. If there's a ton of geometry in 30fps PS5 game, it might be simply impossible to reach 100fps even on the fastest overclocked CPU. Also, technologies like raytracing will push the framerates back, sadly. More games will be designed for 30fps with raytracing. Also, besides the TAA, which hurts the motion reproduction quality, there are now new ideas like variable rate shading and 40fps gaming, which might gain popularity among console gamers.

Crazyness

Post by Crazyness » 11 Aug 2021, 02:06

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 14:12
Crazyness wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 04:07

Easy. 10-bit panels without strobe-backlight motion blur reduction technologies:

- LG 27GN950-B gaming monitor with 4K 160Hz panel. (RTINGS)
- The Apple Pro Display XDR display is also another one.
- BenQ EX2780 gaming monitor. (RTINGS)

Strobe backlights will be practically obsolete once we can reliably get much closer to 1000fps 1000Hz -- even 480fps at 480Hz with proper GtG. Hz-based blur reduction can be vastly superior to strobe-based blur reduction. Doubling Hz (and framerate) halves display motion blur assuming GtG=0 (even when GtG is instant, MPRT is never 0).

And not to mention, Hz-based blur reduction requires GPUs powered by a 1.21 jigawatt flux capacitor with frame rate amplification tech. So we're stuck with strobing as a motion blur reduction technology.
chief..you cheating , rtings links redirecting towards same monitor :)

and apple is 60hz,my bad i didnt precise that 144 is lowest..

so.. minimum 144hz and 10bit without any sort of tech is possible 2 find..
but they are not so common,
so maybe "bit" can also be added into equation besides refresh rate and resolution..

edited: bcs already asked question in Stealthy topic.
Last edited by Crazyness on 11 Aug 2021, 09:13, edited 1 time in total.

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 11 Aug 2021, 03:35

RonsonPL wrote:
10 Aug 2021, 19:13
Strobing is a must.
Correction: Usable strobing is a must.
The +2.4ms strobing penalty on my main monitor is most likely worth the motion clarity improvement.

Aiming in general feels easier, whether it's tracking or recoil control, you never lose sight of the enemy and you can focus more on pointing your crosshair directly on the target.

High VT paired with the Blurbusters Strobe Utility can massively improve Crosstalk (that IMO is the only real downside of strobing).
Last edited by axaro1 on 01 Sep 2021, 11:50, edited 1 time in total.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 11 Aug 2021, 18:22

Crazyness wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 02:06
chief..you cheating , rtings links redirecting towards same monitor :)
Fixed. https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gn950-b
Also edited the previous post.

My Ctrl-V fumbled before the Ctrl-C. Bad, bad, you fingers. Me type better next time so paste-carts aren’t before copy-horses. Doh.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 12 Aug 2021, 11:34

RonsonPL wrote:
Usable strobing is a must.
This is a big topic to talk about but we'd end up talking weeks about basically details.
I'd say mbr is very good for low hz gaming but as refresh rate goes higher strobing benefit decreases. And monitors are getting faster by the day.
RonsonPL wrote:
I wish at least here the poll would came up more optimistic, but it is what it is
I tried to keep it neutral.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Aug 2021, 14:18

Actually, I find the poll good news. 50% vs 50% is fantastic, because less than 1% of the mainstream seems to enable strobe-based blur reduction features.

However, as Blur Busters diversified into display temporal quality of all kinds (VRR, GSYNC, FreeSync, GtG, lag, Hz, strobe, PWM, etc — all of them are time-based technologies pertaining to displays). So we now have a bigger audience of people not interested in strobing too, but in other display temporal technologies that benefit them.

Mind you, the sampling is very small, given most of today’s esports generation aren’t oldschool-forum users, so not very representative of the Blur Busters target audience, albiet moreso than sampling the mainstream.

Blur Busters is the definitive site that promotes display motion blur reduction, ever since LightBoost a decade ago.

(It’s fun explaining to people that Blur Busters is in the temporal business, but we don’t own any DeLoreans nor any time-travelling hot tubs. However, I do have a 1.21 jigawatt flux capacitor on my GPU card)

—-

For me, I’m in the “Sometimes” category myself, as I like VRR too for the low/erratic frame rate games (like Cyberpunk 2077), plus also the more natural Hz-based blur reduction more than strobe-based blur reduction (the flux capacitor powered RTX 3080 helps here too for Hz-based blur reduction).

In fact, Hz-based display motion blur reduction is more mainstream than strobe-based blur reduction — e.g. 120Hz smartphones, iPads, etc. Those, too, will become 240 Hz in the mainstream within ten years. Doubling Hz (and framerates) halves motion blur, and keep doubling them enough, Hz-based blur reduction becomes as good as strobe-based blur reduction, as long as pixel response keeps up.