XG27AQM vs PG279QM, which one for me?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Emertxe

XG27AQM vs PG279QM, which one for me?

Post by Emertxe » 30 Aug 2021, 03:37

I'm thinking about upgrading from my PG278QR (TN 1440p 165hz) to one of these, but have been having trouble finding out which one is worth it. I've decided to not use GSYNC due to the input lag penalty, but I also don't use ULMB (which I'm assuming is practically the same as ELMB?) because it hurts my eyes over time.

Overall, this comes down to whether or not Variable Overdrive + Reflex Module is worth it vs 30 HZ. And probably price, but I'll pay the premium if I think it's worth it.

I primarily play competitive FPS games such as Valorant and CS:GO. However, I also play other non-competitive titles such as Genshin Impact (runs at 60FPS) and Warzone (runs around 90 FPS), to name a few.

Due to the lower FPS titles, I was considering the PG279QM due to the Variable Overdrive. However, I had a few questions before I made my decision:
  • Does Variable Overdrive function when not in GSYNC? I heard it was a part of the GSYNC module, but wasn't sure if I need GSYNC on or not. If not, sounds like XG279QM is an easy choice.
  • Would anyone happen to know how the clarity/input lag compare to the PG278QR? Back in ~2017, I tried a bunch of VA/IPS 1440p 144hz, but they all felt a bit too laggy (may have been the pixel response time instead of raw input lag). Has this improved significantly since then, or will it still be a response time downgrade vs the PG278QR?
  • One gripe I have about the PG278QR is the heavy anti glare coating making white screens look grainy. Do these suffer the same issue?
  • Are the differences I listed truly the only differences to consider? Is there anything else I should know between the two?
  • If price is not an issue, are there any other 1440p 240hz monitors worth considering that may be better?
Thank you.