What Tests Do I need to do for my Youtube Channel?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
jason1975

What Tests Do I need to do for my Youtube Channel?

Post by jason1975 » 28 Sep 2021, 08:25

I have a tech youtube channel and want to get into monitor testing. I roughly understand most of the concepts, however I'm unsure of exactly what tests I should be running (and why) as well as the equipment required.

Would love some help from Blur Busters or this community. Specifically:

1. What are the "minimum" tests you feel are required?
2. What are optional tests?
3. What does it take to do those (equipment, procedure), and links to any resources or how-to's.

Again thank you in advance for your help as I really want to do a good job on this.

Discorz
VIP Member

Re: What Tests Do I need to do for my Youtube Channel?

Post by Discorz » 28 Sep 2021, 14:58

jason1975 wrote:
28 Sep 2021, 08:25
There are so many thing that could be tested. But since we are in competitive gaming era most people are interested in response times and input lag. Those two can be complex to measure or understand. Especially input lag. Without a proper equipment you won't be a able to get some numbers if that is what you're looking for. But there are few tricks you could do.

For response times you could use Blur Busters TestUFO to capture display motion performance and artifacts with smartphone or a proper camera. Now you won't get any numbers out of it but u can get very good idea of where a specific monitor would land on 'the list' when compared to photos of others monitors. I'd say this way is even better than equipment testing because every reviewer may use different testing method so there is a confusion when people try to compare numbers between other reviewers results. And they don't match. Same goes for input lag. So I'd recommend u to use this test because it's a very good true-to-life demonstration of motion performance rather than a barchart number. Ofcourse this pursuit camera test needs to be done correctly. If u want I can give you a basic explanation, just let me know if u're interested. Its best to do it for multiple Overdrive modes and refresh rate combinations. In the end you'll get something like this (zoom for full resolution) or this...
I made this UFO Test Collection for those who want to quickly cross-compare ufos. Also u can use Blurinator 9000 to get a basic understanding of how display motion blur works.

From what I've read, correct input lag measuring is very complex. Many factors affecting each other, inaccurate setups... So I won't say much about it. But one cheap Idea I came up with and wouldn't recommend is humanbenchmark's reaction time test. Basically it requires same pc setup for every monitor and your consistent reaction times. I used it for my VG279QM. Its a simple way to get pc + display lag + reaction time (human) numbers.

What monitors are you currently working with?
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Xehet

Post by Xehet » 29 Sep 2021, 00:48

Discorz wrote:
28 Sep 2021, 14:58
I used it for my VG279QM. Its a simple way to get pc + display lag + reaction time (human) numbers.
It seems like you compared quite a lot of options for VG279QM. Have you ever noticed any difference, input lag-wise, between different modes; Racing Mode, FPS Mode, RPG etc.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 29 Sep 2021, 01:19

Xehet wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 00:48
I felt no difference. There is no point in using anything else than default Racing Mode since other ones are very color inaccurate. But FPS Mode can be useful for competitive gaming tho.
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Xehet

Post by Xehet » 29 Sep 2021, 02:03

Discorz wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 01:19
I felt no difference. There is no point in using anything else than default Racing Mode since other ones are very color inaccurate. But FPS Mode can be useful for competitive gaming tho.
I did not notice any differences as well, and haven't seen anyone claiming that there is a noticeable difference between Visual Modes. Prior to current modes, I remember that Asus used to have Standard, Theatre, Gaming mode etc. and even back then I couldn't spot a difference other than colour schemes, for instance, iirc theatre mode used to have deeper reds while standard had higher colour accuracy and so on.

On some Asus monitors I sometimes used RPG Mode though, as, in my opinion, it made some fine details more vivid.

I just wonder why Asus advertises that Racing Mode reduces input lag.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 29 Sep 2021, 02:12

Xehet wrote:
29 Sep 2021, 02:03
I just wonder why Asus advertises that Racing Mode reduces input lag.
Probably because it disables some settings from the osd. So in theory less additional processing should result in better lag. But realistically those are some extremely small differences.