VG259QM Keeps changing refresh rates

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
boddjonar

VG259QM Keeps changing refresh rates

Post by boddjonar » 13 Oct 2021, 16:54

When I start CSGO the screen can randomly change refresh rates to any random refresh rate, with no logic behind why. I tried switching to the displayport cable I got with my other monitor but no change.

No one seems to have a clear solution to the problem, and I have found some threads about the issue, but since the primary user of this monitor should be CSGO players I am surprised that there isn't more discussion about this. 46 pages of comments in the official thread and no one is talking about this, how?

One possible suggestion has been to use CRU, so I would want to try it. I want to remove all possible refresh rates except for 279.857 Hz. I removed all standard resolutions and all extension blocks, but I can still see 60hz, 85hz, 120 hz, 144 hz when I want to change refresh rate in windows. How do I remove those other refresh rates in CRU?

Update: Now I only have the 280hz refresh rate to choose from in windows. Will see if this fixes it. Will keep updating.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: VG259QM Keeps changing refresh rates

Post by RealNC » 14 Oct 2021, 09:27

One way this can happen is when you're not running CS:GO (or anything else) at the display native resolution, and you are not using GPU scaling but are forcing display scaling. In such a setup, the GPU driver might drop the refresh rate to the one the display supports at the given resolution.

For example, if the display supports 280Hz at 1920x1080, but you run the game in 1024x768, the display might not support 280Hz at that resolution. Using GPU scaling fixes that obviously, since with GPU scaling the monitor is always driven at its native res.

When you use CRU to delete every other mode and only leave 1920x1080@280Hz, then the result of that is that GPU scaling is used even if you have disabled it. This is normal, because after removing all other modes and only 1920x1080@280Hz is available, there can be no display scaling. GPU scaling has to be used. So you get working 280Hz.

If this is indeed what happens in your case, then what you have done by deleting all other modes in CRU is to simply force GPU scaling. You might as well leave CRU modes alone and simply use GPU scaling instead, giving you the exact same result.

You can also try to add the target resolution and refresh rate to CRU instead. If the monitor is able to accept that, of course. If you run CS:GO at 1024x768 for example, then add 1024x768@280Hz as a valid mode in CRU. If the monitor accepts that mode and it works, great. If not, then... just use GPU scaling.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

casual_platypus8

Post by casual_platypus8 » 14 Oct 2021, 15:49

Someone please correct me if this is wrong, but I copied the settings from the existing 280hz mode into a new detailed resolution and deleted the original, and I was left with only 280 as an option in Windows settings after restarting.

boddjonar

Post by boddjonar » 14 Oct 2021, 16:36

RealNC wrote:
14 Oct 2021, 09:27
One way this can happen is when you're not running CS:GO (or anything else) at the display native resolution, and you are not using GPU scaling but are forcing display scaling. In such a setup, the GPU driver might drop the refresh rate to the one the display supports at the given resolution.
I play 1920x1080, so that is not the problem here. Haven't played any CSGO today so I haven't been able to see if CRU has fixed the issue for me. :)

Alex Jonn

Post by Alex Jonn » 15 Oct 2021, 11:25

Thanks for letting us know about it,

boddjonar

Post by boddjonar » 20 Oct 2021, 16:57

Sadly removing the refresh rates options did not work. When I came back to my computer after a break the monitor had forced windows into 640p 60hz, without me being able to change it back. When I restarted the computer the monitor would show BIOS just fined but then turn off as it said "No displayport cable detected" even tho I tried with 3 different cables, and instead my other monitor became my main. I deleted all profiles in CRU and this fixed the issue.

One last thing I tried was changing my 2nd monitor to use the CPU integrated graphics, as I suspected that it was my 2nd monitor that caused the problems, maybe my computer had a problem with the 2 monitors having different refresh rates, but changing the 2nd monitor to the CPU changed nothing, the problem still occurs.

I have tried everything in my power and I will sadly be returning the monitor for being faulty. I will now look for other high refresh rate monitors from other brands instead.