AOC 24G2ZU 240Hz IPS mini review

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Notty_PT

Re: AOC 24G2ZU 240Hz IPS mini review

Post by Notty_PT » 01 Nov 2021, 20:15

Let´s take into account the fact that AOC model is 23,8. Smaller screen sizes + higher PPI improve pixel response time perception. The distance between pixels is smaller, so simply comparing UFO images side by side can be misleading.

Plus, as the reviewer said (and I agree), for an IPS panel, this thing is amazingly fast. In fact it is the fastest IPS I have used by far, and the smaller panel size only helps adding to the perceived motion.

Input lag was measured by TechTeamGB on Youtube, to be the same as Asus 360hz monitor. This thing is really really competitive.

If I had to give the crown of pixel response time to some unit, I would give it to ozone DSP24 240, wich of course is a TN panel, 23,8 inches aswell. I have never experienced any panel faster than that in my whole life, apart ofc from CRTs and Oleds.

However, you know the deal with TN... awful colours, washed out stuff, need filters, terrible viewing angles

Btw great mini review, loved the content and would love to see more of this. I try so many monitors, but I don´t have a proper camera for UFO testing and I don´t trust Ldat for input lag methodology. I thought about making an youtube channel some years ago, but the market is full of that right now. Not worth my time.

Really appreciated this thread, thank you

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 02 Nov 2021, 06:00

Notty_PT wrote:
01 Nov 2021, 20:15
Let´s take into account the fact that AOC model is 23,8. Smaller screen sizes + higher PPI improve pixel response time perception. The distance between pixels is smaller, so simply comparing UFO images side by side can be misleading.

Plus, as the reviewer said (and I agree), for an IPS panel, this thing is amazingly fast. In fact it is the fastest IPS I have used by far, and the smaller panel size only helps adding to the perceived motion.
I wouldn't agree. Imagine you switch to 4k 25" display where you'd need to match mouse sensitivity to 1080p 25" for muscle memory. You'd end up moving mouse faster at higher ppi which leads to same amount of blur. As movement speed increases blur also increases. This law is also related to refresh rate - refresh rate and speed movement are similar. For example if you have a 240Hz monitor you can simulate what would 480Hz ufo look like if you reduce the speed to 480pps (240Hz at 480pps = 480Hz at 960pps...).

Where it would have some effect is if display was much smaller than 0,7'' difference. But desktop gaming at that small screen sizes is just wrong.

Only comparing different speeds ufos would be misleading (if deviations are too big) - Actual UFO Panning Speeds.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 02 Nov 2021, 11:39

But we are talking about same resolution here

Idk of you ever tried a 240hz laptop, but if you do, you Will ask yourself why it "is" so much smoother (oled/crt alike) than a 240hz desktop monitor. The fact pixels are smaller hides a lot of the perceived transitions, making it appear smoother

If you use a 55 inch oled at 120hz you Will be able to tell the "blank space" between each frame. Known as teleporting. The screen is big, oled has 0,2ms response time, no ghosting, you Will be able to see pixels teleporting instead of transitioning as there are almost no trails on moving objects

This is why I dont pay too much attention to ufo tests, unless we are comparing same screen size and same resolution. If I use my monitor at 720p it Will seem pixel response time gets 2 times slower.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 02 Nov 2021, 16:01

Same resolution at different screen size is ppi. 4k 25" is just an extreme example to get the idea of ppi not affecting motion blur when physical movement speed is the same.

As long as TestUFO is scaled 1:1 (always is) it will run same situation test at different display sizes or resolutions. A lot of thought went into making it, so no need to worry about it.
If 720p is stretched it will look worse because its adding blur to already blurred non-native image.

I want to add up on previous comment that simulating 480Hz on 240 only applies to mprt blur not the response time blur.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 02 Nov 2021, 18:08

Discorz wrote:
02 Nov 2021, 16:01
Same resolution at different screen size is ppi. 4k 25" is just an extreme example to get the idea of ppi not affecting motion blur when physical movement speed is the same.

As long as TestUFO is scaled 1:1 (always is) it will run same situation test at different display sizes or resolutions. A lot of thought went into making it, so no need to worry about it.
If 720p is stretched it will look worse because its adding blur to already blurred non-native image.

I want to add up on previous comment that simulating 480Hz on 240 only applies to mprt blur not the response time blur.
I know! But I am talking about the perceived motion, something that no tool can measure. You are right in what you are saying, we can´t run away from pure maths/science/stats. But in the real world having supossely better stats doesn´t mean it will appear smoother due to the things I explained

Axaion

Post by Axaion » 03 Nov 2021, 08:27

the proper tool with the proper math can measure anything, no exceptions.

imho, the miniscule difference wont matter here, its more a question of camera focus (which is not great on my side, pixel 2), than most other things really.

valgar

Post by valgar » 03 Nov 2021, 14:50

Notty_PT wrote:

Input lag was measured by TechTeamGB on Youtube, to be the same as Asus 360hz monitor. This thing is really really competitive.

If I had to give the crown of pixel response time to some unit, I would give it to ozone DSP24 240, wich of course is a TN panel, 23,8 inches aswell. I have never experienced any panel faster than that in my whole life, apart ofc from CRTs and Oleds.

However, you know the deal with TN... awful colours, washed out stuff, need filters, terrible viewing angles

Btw great mini review, loved the content and would love to see more of this. I try so many monitors, but I don´t have a proper camera for UFO testing and I don´t trust Ldat for input lag methodology. I thought about making an youtube channel some years ago, but the market is full of that right now. Not worth my time.

I have received today the DSP24 240 but the panel is 24.5".
I haven't been able to find the 23.8" model you were talking about and it's not listed on Ozone website or anywhere else, so I am not sure if we're talking about the same model here.
Anyway thanks for the tip Notty.

After returning the defective Acer 390hz I was lacking a gaming monitor and I wanted to get my hands on a 24G2Z, while waiting for it to become available on Amazon I found a DSP24 240 heavily discounted (170€) on Amazon marketplace "as new" and I had to try it.
Probably i need to adjust some settings for gaming, I can confirm the TN panel limitations, but it feels really fast and it's a decent gaming monitor. I wouldn't however reccomend it over a proper IPS panel, and if I had to pay the full price I would have returned it already.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 04 Nov 2021, 00:06

valgar wrote:
03 Nov 2021, 14:50
Notty_PT wrote:

I have received today the DSP24 240 but the panel is 24.5".
I haven't been able to find the 23.8" model you were talking about and it's not listed on Ozone website or anywhere else, so I am not sure if we're talking about the same model here.
Anyway thanks for the tip Notty.

After returning the defective Acer 390hz I was lacking a gaming monitor and I wanted to get my hands on a 24G2Z, while waiting for it to become available on Amazon I found a DSP24 240 heavily discounted (170€) on Amazon marketplace "as new" and I had to try it.
Probably i need to adjust some settings for gaming, I can confirm the TN panel limitations, but it feels really fast and it's a decent gaming monitor. I wouldn't however reccomend it over a proper IPS panel, and if I had to pay the full price I would have returned it already.
That is interesting! And a crazy good price aswell, 170€ for a 240hz monitor? Crazy crazy

I have no experience with the 24,5 model, but here in Portugal they still sell the 23,8 one. How are you finding it? I read that model can overclock to up to 288hz. Some get 265hz, others 280hz. Did you try any overclock? How you finding the response time and overall gaming experience? Itek also uses that same panel on their GGF 24,5 288hz monitor. 288hz with OC built in the OSD!

valgar

Post by valgar » 07 Nov 2021, 13:44

Notty_PT wrote:

That is interesting! And a crazy good price aswell, 170€ for a 240hz monitor? Crazy crazy

I have no experience with the 24,5 model, but here in Portugal they still sell the 23,8 one. How are you finding it? I read that model can overclock to up to 288hz. Some get 265hz, others 280hz. Did you try any overclock? How you finding the response time and overall gaming experience? Itek also uses that same panel on their GGF 24,5 288hz monitor. 288hz with OC built in the OSD!

I've been finally able to play some games in the weekend and try my Ozone DSP24 240 out.

So Notty, I definitely think that your 23.8 and my 24.5 are two different models with the same name.
About the OC there is not an OSD option but I can try if you tell me what to do :D
I have to say I am not a pro or whatever, but I am really sensitive to motion blur/ghosting and artifacts.

I think that overall this is a fast 240hz monitor, not as fast as the Acer XV252QF or the AW2521H I've recently tried, probably on par with the Asus VG259QM I tried a while ago.
In short, flickshots are "messier" than with the 360hz panels and I feel I am slower in focusing and tracking the enemy, I've tried it in Warzone, Black Ops, Apex and Overwatch.
For a TN panel viewing angles and especially colors aren't that bad, I like the simple looks of the panel and the metal stand feels sturdy and quality.
Considering the low price tag I can't complain, because it IS fast and it delivers a decent gaming experience.

However I have found an annoying issue: vertical banding.
I don't know exactly how to describe it but there are some vertical lines especially visible in greyish areas (ie clouds in warzone) when panning horizontally, probably this video gives an idea of the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zgo0Iz4tKE

I don't know if this can be related to some bad setting in the drivers, but I have tried to change everything in the OSD of the panel and in AMD control panel with no change.
Anyway if I could fix this I would keep it and wait for better panels that are coming next year, otherwise I think I'm gonna return it and go for the 24G2ZU, which is IPS and has better PPI at 23.8"

(sorry for the OT, since the thread is about the AOC 24G2ZU, I just wanted to give my impressions about the DSP24 240 which is not a mainstream monitor and at the moment is really cheap, so it could be a solution for some people here in EU ;) )

nolikeee

Post by nolikeee » 18 Nov 2021, 08:03

hello all. i buy this monitor yestoday and did some tests. I had alot of monitors in this year (hp omen x27, samsung g7, aw2720hf, aw2721d, xb273u xb, vg259qm, aw2521h, acer xv252q fb 390hz, and the last now second is ASUS XG27AQM. I i can say this panel AMAZING i will include some photos

OD high MBR 0

OD high MBR 15

OD high MBR 20

Perfect monitor very clarity in all resolutions