Viewsonic Elite XG270QG takes two to go on

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
davidm71

Viewsonic Elite XG270QG takes two to go on

Post by davidm71 » 18 Oct 2021, 08:01

Hi,

Have an Viewsonic Elite XG270QG monitor and what I have noticed is that it takes two presses of its power button to go on. The first one turns on the led blue on the corner of the display but the firmware does not boot up displaying the Viewsonic logo like it should. So it does not sync as a result. I have to press the power button off and on a second time for it to work and to see the Viewsonic logo on screen and then sync with Windows. About to RMA this but would rather not unless I really have to. Already have an RMA and have to ship it back. Feels like a firmware bug. Anyone experience this issue?

Thanks

jorimt

Re: Viewsonic Elite XG270QG takes two to go on

Post by jorimt » 18 Oct 2021, 09:26

davidm71 wrote:
18 Oct 2021, 08:01
Hi,

Have an Viewsonic Elite XG270QG monitor and what I have noticed is that it takes two presses of its power button to go on. The first one turns on the led blue on the corner of the display but the firmware does not boot up displaying the Viewsonic logo like it should. So it does not sync as a result. I have to press the power button off and on a second time for it to work and to see the Viewsonic logo on screen and then sync with Windows. About to RMA this but would rather not unless I really have to. Already have an RMA and have to ship it back. Feels like a firmware bug. Anyone experience this issue?

Thanks
Power up/power down issues can sometimes occur due to deep sleep and/or ECO options in the monitor OSD. Have you tried disabling those to see if they have any effect on your issue?
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

davidm71

Post by davidm71 » 18 Oct 2021, 15:58

Thanks. Great tip. Worked. Fix the issue. Turned off Deep Sleep mode and set Eco Mode to Standard.

Thanks.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Oct 2021, 12:27

Deep Sleep essentially disables so many things including the electronics that senses the power button, so there are often side effects. I would just stick to ordinary standard eco mode and use regular sleep. Just turning off the LCD/backlight without turning off too many electronics, still turns monitors into something that consumes less power than a nightlight.

On some models, it behaves such that first button press simply wakes up the button controller, and second button press activates the power up sequence (monitor firmware bootup sequence). I suppose, in a roundabout way, it feels more like preparing a rocket for blastoff, rather than just plug and play.

Ever since the industry went with electronic buttons instead of physical (e.g. actually cuts power). Many button controllers eat electricity simply listening to soft-tap buttons, so that's why a Deep Sleep mode exists on some monitors and TVs to cut power to high-power-consuming button controllers.

With a separate ultra low power chip bypassing firmware, ideally it should only be a few milliwatts, but merging chips into fewer chips, like using the full-powered firmware, a button controller may actually eat a few watts if running off the same firmware that drives the high-refresh-rate onscreen menu systems. Fewer chips to drive everthing on the monitor, but eats more power for the low-power stuff. Still, it's only a few watts at most (0.5 to 4 watts typical). I use 1 watt as my assumed standard for a "normal" sleeping monitor, from losses in switching power supplies and a less efficient button controller merged into main firmware.

In that case, you may be only saving 1 watt while making convenience worse. Don't bother with Deep Sleep mode unless you're living in an offgrid RV home with a very small solar panel, and watching your single-watts.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

davidm71

Post by davidm71 » 22 Oct 2021, 12:55

Well that was the default setup from factory. I didn't know what the issue was and appreciate the explanation. Thank you.