32” 1440p monitor without “pixel inversion artifacts”?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
SpoonyBardIV

32” 1440p monitor without “pixel inversion artifacts”?

Post by SpoonyBardIV » 24 Oct 2021, 22:51

I’ve been trying to find a good 32 inch 1440p monitor to replace my 24 inch 1080p. I’ve tried three different monitors so far, the Samsung Odyssey G7, the LG 32GK650G and the BenQ PD3200Q and they all had very obvious pixel inversion artifacts. The Samsung and the BenQ had a checkerboard pattern and the LG had vertical lines. Can anyone here recommend a good 32 inch 1440p display that doesn’t have this problem? I don’t need perfection, my 1080p display has the same issue but it’s nowhere near as obviously visible. I’d prefer a VA panel, but I’ll settle for an IPS if there’s a solid option you’d recommend. I’m not interested in TN. Thanks!

sk1p

Re: 32” 1440p monitor without “pixel inversion artifacts”?

Post by sk1p » 25 Oct 2021, 00:31

Hi, possible this Acer Nitro XV322UX, but it needed more reviews. I have 27 version xv272ux and really happy with this panel, before I had many other 240hz TN's and IPS's.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Oct 2021, 10:23

Definitely go IPS. IPS are much more immune to visible inversion artifacts such as lines and chess board patterns.

VA and TN in desktop monitors historically have had more inversion artifacts if that's what you are picky about.

If you want VA color in an IPS, get a NanoIPS or a QD backlight. They're really lovely color gamuts.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

speancer

Post by speancer » 25 Oct 2021, 12:06

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 10:23
Definitely go IPS.
Despite of what Chief said, I would strongly suggest to avoid IPS panels if you had VA before and prefer VA panels in general. You'd very likely be annoyed by common IPS issues, such as poor contrast ratio, poor black uniformity, backlight bleed and IPS glow, especially on NanoIPS panels, which are known for horrible contrast.

As for a recommendation, I am myself still trying new monitors, I started testing VA displays recently, and I currently use Dell S3222DGM, it's a 31.5" 1440p 165 Hz VA monitor. Got to admit that it has the best black uniformity I've ever seen on an LCD display. I see no pixel inversion issues on my unit at all (I did notice pixel inversion on my Samsung Odyssey G7). Colours are decent (excellent sRGB colour space coverage and pretty good Adobe RGB coverage). Maybe give this one a try? :)

Also, note that pixel inversion issues are random and may vary between different units of the same monitor (I've seen inversion issues on all LCD panel types), so if you really like a certain monitor, you can play the return/exchange game until the issue is absent. Backlight bleed, panel uniformity, even contrast ratios are also a lottery and can vary. It's quite annoying. I've played that game and had like 10~ units of the same monitor (my personal best, yes, I was that stubborn) in the past, as well as more than one unit of some other monitors, so I've seen it all :D
Main display (TV/PC monitor): LG 42C21LA (4K 120 Hz OLED / WBE panel)
Tested displays: ASUS VG259QM/VG279QM [favourite LCD FPS display] (280 Hz IPS) • Zowie XL2546K/XL2540K/XL2546 (240 Hz TN DyAc) • Dell S3222DGM [favourite LCD display for the best blacks, contrast and panel uniformity] (165 Hz VA) • Dell Alienware AW2521HFLA (240 Hz IPS) • HP Omen X 25f (240 Hz TN) • MSI MAG251RX (240 Hz IPS) • Gigabyte M27Q (170 Hz IPS) • Acer Predator XB273X (240 Hz IPS G-SYNC) • Acer Predator XB271HU (165 Hz IPS G-SYNC) • Acer Nitro XV272UKV (170 Hz IPS) • Acer Nitro XV252QF (390 Hz IPS) • LG 27GN800 (144 Hz IPS) • LG 27GL850 (144 Hz nanoIPS) • LG 27GP850 (180 Hz nanoIPS) • Samsung Odyssey G7 (240 Hz VA)

OS: Windows 11 Pro GPU: Palit GeForce RTX 4090 GameRock OC CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D + be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 + Arctic MX-6 RAM: 32GB (2x16GB dual channel) DDR5 Kingston Fury Beast Black 6000 MHz CL30 (fully optimized primary and secondary timings by Buildzoid for SK Hynix die on AM5 platform) PSU: Corsair RM1200x SHIFT 1200W (ATX 3.0, PCIe 5.0 12VHPWR 600W) SSD1: Kingston KC3000 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 x4 SSD2: Corsair Force MP510 960GB PCIe 3.0 x4 MB: ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI (GPU PCIe 5.0 x16, NVMe PCIe 5.0 x4) CASE: be quiet! Silent Base 802 Window White CASE FANS: be quiet! Silent Wings 4 140mm PWM (3x front, 1x rear, 1x top rear, positive pressure) MOUSE: Logitech G PRO X Superlight (white) Lightspeed wireless MOUSEPAD: ARTISAN FX HIEN (wine red, soft, XL) KEYBOARD: Logitech G915 TKL (white, GL Tactile) Lightspeed wireless HEADPHONES: Sennheiser Momentum 4 Wireless (white) 24-bit 96 KHz + Sennheiser BTD600 Bluetooth 5.2 aptX Adaptive CHAIR: Herman Miller Aeron (graphite, fully loaded, size C)

SpoonyBardIV

Post by SpoonyBardIV » 25 Oct 2021, 16:21

speancer wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 12:06
As for a recommendation, I am myself still trying new monitors, I started testing VA displays recently, and I currently use Dell S3222DGM, it's a 31.5" 1440p 165 Hz VA monitor. Got to admit that it has the best black uniformity I've ever seen on an LCD display. I see no pixel inversion issues on my unit at all (I did notice pixel inversion on my Samsung Odyssey G7). Colours are decent (excellent sRGB colour space coverage and pretty good Adobe RGB coverage). Maybe give this one a try? :)
Hi! Sorry to bother you, but would you be able to possibly do a quick test for me on the S3222DGM? Try setting it to 60hz and slowly drag a window around the desktop. Do you see any sort of inversion patterns? I only ask because a lot of monitors show no signs of it at high refresh rates, but start showing it at lower ones. Here’s some example photos of my BenQ and the G7 for reference.

BenQ (Most visible around the google drive icon)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yk1pi9 ... p=drivesdk

Samsung (Dark grey bar is worst)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xj3oBd ... p=drivesdk

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Oct 2021, 12:00

speancer wrote:
25 Oct 2021, 12:06
Despite of what Chief said, I would strongly suggest to avoid IPS panels if you had VA before and prefer VA panels in general. You'd very likely be annoyed by common IPS issues, such as poor contrast ratio, poor black uniformity, backlight bleed and IPS glow, especially on NanoIPS panels, which are known for horrible contrast.
True.

That said, the overriding factor is this original poster appears desparate to a void inversion artifacts -- if he's pretty picky enough about inversion artifacts. The good news is that the new FastIPS is so vastly superior to yesterday's IPS when compared to TN panel perspective. Minor contrast ratio differences between TN and IPS is not as annoying as nasty inversion artifacts.

A left field option is the newer 42" LG OLED HDTV being used as a monitor, if you can get your hands on that one. Definitely no inversion artifacts and way superior to VA in all attributes (except possibly lag & fear of burn-in)

For me, I am more picky about inversion artifacts and motion resolution (motion blur -- this is Blur Busters after all --

Some people are also super picky about other attributes like ghosting, which VA is very bad for dark colors too -- this becomes more of an issue at 240Hz+ though than 60Hz. The difference in GtG between different pixel colors is much more pronounced when certain GtG's complete within a refresh cycle and other GtG's take multiple refresh cycles to complete, creating the odd "lags less during bright picture, lags more during dark pictures" inconsistent lagfeel from VA smearing of dark colors. The inconsistent blurring/ghosting/lagfeel drives some people nuts. VA panels are much better now at higher refresh rates but far behind TN and IPS (especially newer Fast IPS). This isn't as important for low-framerate movies (24fps material etc) and VA is absolutely a fantastic movie-watching panel though.

Different people see differently, and see a bunch of artifacts they are pickier about. Personally I'm more picky about motion resolution than a 5x difference in contrast ratio.

For me, it takes a 20x, sometimes even a 40x difference (e.g. OLED, FALD, etc) before contrast ratio is punchy enough to compensate for other worsenings (e.g. inversion artifacts), when playing triple digit frame rate games. Some people are so picky about contrast ratio that even a 2x factor wins, but other attributes can outweigh sufficiently for some of us here at Blur Busters, where we're all about motion/temporal quality (GtG, MPRT, lag, etc). People here, right here, on Blur Busters, are usually slightly less pickier than the average AVSFORUM or HomeTheaterForum user, and more motion-videophiles. Thusly. my advice is biased to the average forum pickiness, because people who post here instead of elsewhere, usually have a higher likelihood of temporal-issue pickiness.

The contrast ratio multiplier needed to outweigh annoyance of other artifacts (inversion, ghosting, etc) has become bigger now that IPS essentially mostly caught up in overshootless pixel response speed, with both IPS and TN roughly reached pixel response parity recently.

Many people willing to go IPS over VA should at least give the FastIPS technologies a try as a middle compromise (package deal of TN-like fast GtG combined with VA color gamut despite not having VA contrast ratio, and greyer blacks than VA). It used to be that TN was guaranteeed to be the fastest on the market but IPS has essentially caught up and half of the fastest post-2020 "Fast IPS" panels are now less ghosty than half of the worst TN panels still on the market today with an overlapping venn diagram. (Unless you go with fastest TNs like like XL2546's). VA and yesterday's IPS were closer in pixel response speeds but Fast IPS has pulled significantly ahead that the reduced blur of Fast IPS (especially in darker scenes) that it's instantly suddenly clear of its superiority over VA in triple-digit-framerate motion enjoyment, despite VA's superior contrast ratio.

Your advice is useful! An additional data point, especially if the original poster is a 60Hz home theater outlier who's posting here instead of wanting a 32" highest-Hz panel...

____
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Oct 2021, 12:48

Tips to Reduce Number of Return Cycles (Temporary/Fixable Issues)

About panel lottery, I have to find ways to try to reduce lottery effects by educating users on how to fix potentially temporary black field issues (which are superimposed composites of permanent and temporary artifacts like edgelight bleed, IPS glow, and pressure spots). To keep prices lower (they have to increase prices when too many users play lottery), I give this public service announcement to help out users who would like to win the IPS Glow lottery in fewer attempts...

Yes, playing the panel lottery for getting a low-inversion-artifact panel may be an option, however, it sometime does not succeed in getting a good specimen. I know that an entire run of a specific TN panel (100+ panels) all had nasty inversion artifacts for a specific model, while playing the panel lottery on a different model created major improvements. But, that being said, let me address the IPS Glow part.

I highly recommend the 72-hour or 1-week break in (24/7) between monitor exchanges, as it makes the black field much more uniform (elimination of pressure spots from shipping, from liquid crystal reflow in a warmed-up panel). Between the glass sandwich is a liquid crystal that can flow throughout (they're not confined to pixels). LCD = Liquid Crystal Display. And it's a complete ultrathin film of liquid right in there -- press your finger on the screen hard enough and you will see the liquid pushed around creating a splotch that takes a few seconds to fade.

Mind you, it does not fix the permanent component of IPS glow but break in does fix a lot of odd-shaped "IPS glow like" splotches in the middle (faint pressure spots rather than corner-glow effects). A warm-temperature panel that has been broken in. Also, some VA panels in my experience has worse gamma nonuniformities than the shape of IPS glow of a 1-week-broken-in NanoIPS panel, but the venn diagram overlaps, depending on your viewing distance and the quality of the panel encasement (metal case behind panel) which can produce edge-pressure-spots that glow at specific locations. This break-in advice helps to reduce panel lottery attempts by about 50% for people worried about odd-shaped black fields and unsure if it's temporary (pressure spot fixed by liquid crystal reflow) or permanent (IPS glow). The common mistake of re-boxing up a monitor 30 minutes after unboxing, because of ugly odd-shape splotch in the black field -- big mistake. Sometimes it just needs a liquid reflow from simply running the monitor for 72 hours. My experience is that middle splotches and various glow asymmetries have a 25%-50% chance of disappearing (Depending on unit), leaving only a symmetrical corner-glow of IPS glow -- far more symmetric similar in horizontal and vertical symmetry to VA panel gamma nonuniformity. If any asymmetries still remain after break in, that leftover asymmetry after liquid reflow is usually edgelight bleed.

Regardless of how you judge glow effects, always break in 72 hours 24/7 max brightness max temperature sleep-disabled, before judging the black field, due to liquid reflow to compensate for shipping pressure spots and packaging pressure spots and bracket pressure spot (if monitor is stored face down by accident by shipper or warehouser). Like a finger-press-on-panel-for-weeks, that takes days to disappear -- they are usually hazy fist-shaped splotches rather than a sharp finger though -- and take much longer to fade. It is common to confuse these with IPS glow or VA gamma nonunformity or edgelight bleed as all of these black-field artifacts superimpose/overlap each other.

Manufacturers hate people who excessively play the lottery so all I can do is give advice to make sure you remove the veils of temporary black-field artifacts (via break in) before judging final IPS glow etc. The small time manufacturers are stuck polishing the turds that come out of a panel factory, and returns on temporary locally-resolvable issues just end up chewing everybody's time. RMA definitely is warranted when the inversion is so bad that you're seeing chessboard textures in real life after staring at the monitor for 5 minutes -- those outliers that have blatantly obvious worse-than-average inversion artifacts. But faint inversion artifacts are normal and par for the course on many panels/models.

Another partial inversion artifact workaround for some models. Sometimes decreasing the refresh rate by 10-20% also fixes the inversion artifacts, so getting an overprovisioned monitor (e.g. 144Hz monitor with 165 Hz overclock feature) and intentionally driving the monitor non-overclocked can be an inversion-artifacts-decreasing solution. It does not always fix the problem, but it does decrease inversion artifact visibility by ~75% on certain panels. Manufacturers are under pressure to upclock panels, sometimes beyond what they were originally fabbed for, and sometimes they work perfectly fine with 1 or 2 problems (e.g. inversion artifacts) that mostly disappear on certain specimens when run at a different clock rate (especially after warmed up for 30 minutes -- cold TN panels can also have worse inversion artifacts, especially in the winter).

Now that being said, VA is well liked for a lot of things. It's a very good movie-watching panel for example and a huge number of TVs on the market are VA based.