Any information on the effects of using 8000 Hz mouse and keyboard simultaneously on PC performance?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
KiwiOlive

Any information on the effects of using 8000 Hz mouse and keyboard simultaneously on PC performance?

Post by KiwiOlive » 28 Oct 2021, 09:03

Hello,

I am considering buying an 8000Hz mouse and keyboard like the Razer Viper mouse and Hunstman V2 keyboard, but I couldn't find any information online on how well a modern PC can handle all this data with medium or high end hardware.

Is there anything I need to make sure that I have to have a smooth experience running two devices at 8000 Hz or is it a bad idea to bombard my PC with all this data considering the limitations of the current hardware available in the market?

Thanks in advance!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Any information on the effects of using 8000 Hz mouse and keyboard simultaneously on PC performance?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Oct 2021, 12:24

KiwiOlive wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 09:03
Hello,

I am considering buying an 8000Hz mouse and keyboard like the Razer Viper mouse and Hunstman V2 keyboard, but I couldn't find any information online on how well a modern PC can handle all this data with medium or high end hardware.

Is there anything I need to make sure that I have to have a smooth experience running two devices at 8000 Hz or is it a bad idea to bombard my PC with all this data considering the limitations of the current hardware available in the market?

Thanks in advance!
This is bleeding edge first comer stuff -- 8000 Hz mice is still super-new so little info. You will have to buy reviews-unseen for your specific config, generally.

You will have to:
- Test your hardware
- Remember that 2000Hz gives you most of the improvements of going above 1000Hz. 4000Hz and 8000Hz is just frosting on the cake.
- Don't expect to run 8000 Hz on both devices at the same time on older systems. But remember 2000 Hz still gives you most of the improvements right up front. 1000Hz-vs-2000Hz is actually more noticeable than 2000Hz-vs-8000Hz, due to diminishing curve of returns (though I can still see 2000Hz-vs-8000Hz jitter differences when strobed since strobing amplifies mouse jitter visibility)
- Most midrange systems will not have problems with 2000Hz in those games that have no problems with 2000Hz
- You got settings flexibility to dial back to your system capability and game capability
- Be prepared to use different Hz for different games. Valorant/Ooverwatch loves 2000+ Hz while CS:GO works best at 1000 Hz
- Be prepared to purchase a PCIe USB port card, to offload USB processing away from your chipset and existing congested USB cluster.
- Put high-Hz devices on dedicated USB chips. Don't plug keyboard and mouse into same hub. Might want to put keyboard on motherboard USB and mouse on PCIe USB
- PCIe USB sometimes uses less CPU% especially with inefficient motherboard USB drivers, test both motherboard USB and PCIe USB, and for motherboard test both microsoft USB driver and motherboard-manufacturer USB driver (if applicable)

Remember the first 1000Hz mouse came out 15 years ago. Today's systems have no problems with 2000Hz generally, even a 7-year-old i7 system will keep up if sufficiently optimized + use PCIe USB whenever motherboard USB fails reliability at these KHz poll numbers.

Anything slightly above 1000Hz is a noticeable improvement to some games on today's 240Hz and 360Hz monitors.

Verdict: "Buy it, try it, even just at 2000 Hz. Still big difference."
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

KiwiOlive

Re: Any information on the effects of using 8000 Hz mouse and keyboard simultaneously on PC performance?

Post by KiwiOlive » 28 Oct 2021, 12:49

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 12:24
KiwiOlive wrote:
28 Oct 2021, 09:03
Hello,

Thanks in advance!
This is bleeding edge first comer stuff -- 8000 Hz mice is still super-new so little info. You will have to buy reviews-unseen for your specific config, generally.

You will have to:
- Test your hardware
- Remember that 2000Hz gives you most of the improvements of going above 1000Hz. 4000Hz and 8000Hz is just frosting on the cake.
- Don't expect to run 8000 Hz on both devices at the same time on older systems. But remember 2000 Hz still gives you most of the improvements right up front. 1000Hz-vs-2000Hz is actually more noticeable than 2000Hz-vs-8000Hz, due to diminishing curve of returns (though I can still see 2000Hz-vs-8000Hz jitter differences when strobed since strobing amplifies mouse jitter visibility)
- Most midrange systems will not have problems with 2000Hz in those games that have no problems with 2000Hz
- You got settings flexibility to dial back to your system capability and game capability
- Be prepared to use different Hz for different games. Valorant/Ooverwatch loves 2000+ Hz while CS:GO works best at 1000 Hz
- Be prepared to purchase a PCIe USB port card, to offload USB processing away from your chipset and existing congested USB cluster.
- Put high-Hz devices on dedicated USB chips. Don't plug keyboard and mouse into same hub. Might want to put keyboard on motherboard USB and mouse on PCIe USB
- PCIe USB sometimes uses less CPU% especially with inefficient motherboard USB drivers, test both motherboard USB and PCIe USB, and for motherboard test both microsoft USB driver and motherboard-manufacturer USB driver (if applicable)

Remember the first 1000Hz mouse came out 15 years ago. Today's systems have no problems with 2000Hz generally, even a 7-year-old i7 system will keep up if sufficiently optimized + use PCIe USB whenever motherboard USB fails reliability at these KHz poll numbers.

Anything slightly above 1000Hz is a noticeable improvement to some games on today's 240Hz and 360Hz monitors.

Verdict: "Buy it, try it, even just at 2000 Hz. Still big difference."
Thank you very much for the detailed answer. I'm aware of some of the incompatibility issues with some games but thanks for pointing them out for those who are unaware. I think I will go all the way with the mouse and get a 8000Hz one, and stick with a standard 1000Hz keyboards for now and maybe upgrade once I feel like using a PCIe USB port card.

From the tests I've seen here 8000Hz mice seem very beneficial on high refresh rate monitors which is what I intend to use. To be more specific now, how would a 8000Hz mouse and a standard 1000Hz keyboard affect a modern strong CPU like the i7 11700k or AMD 5900X when both connected directly to the motherboard with no PCIe USB port card?