Motion Smoothing

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Jonnyturgel

Motion Smoothing

Post by Jonnyturgel » 02 Nov 2021, 09:02

Hi,
I am here as I get severe nausea from using my laptop. I am not a gamer. I get nausea from just browsing or even typing in word. I get particular nausea from Zoom meetings. I have tried everything from PWM to blue light to dithering to brightness etc etc.
I just bought a new laptop 300hz with AMD freesync to try and help and see if freesync and the refresh makes a difference but it doesn't. I actually am finding I get less nausea when I set it at 60hz not 300Hz. The laptop has Nvadi Geforce RTX but not gsync on the inbuilt display which I use so I can't use motion blur reduction yet.

I have a particular sensitivity to motion.
On my iphone if I don't disable motion then I get naueseous.
On my TV if I don't disable motion smoothing then I get very nausous. If I watch soap opera effect, I literally get sick.
Using that knowledge are there any tips anyone can give me for laptop settings or trying to find a computer that works for me?
What is it that these settings do and why I prefer them off. Would this mean I would be better off withiout Freesync/motion blur reduction and a lower refresh rate?
Many thanks in advance.

Jason38

Re: Motion Smoothing

Post by Jason38 » 25 Nov 2021, 23:08

You sound like me a few years ago and it took me from 2008 till 2019 to figure out how to not get strain from LED screens. You basically need to have an open mind and try every possible combination possible. When I first was getting these issues back in 2008 all that was on the internet was PWM(Flicker) and blue light was slowly starting to gain traction.

To this day if I use a screen with cheap LED's I get dizzy and sick feeling like I'm going to pass out. I ended up buying two ViewSonic XG270 27" 240HZ IPS monitors. I had to custom set the colors and play with brightness and contrast but they give me no issues.
R - 100
G -80
B- 45 ( I think) It's very strange as I start raising the blue light above 50 I start getting that dizzy sick feeling again. I can duplicate the same result by shooting the brightness up as well as that means more blue light. I like to make the monitor brighter but I play with the contrast so the whites aren't so harsh and I get no strain. I've owned both monitors for for quite some time now. I'm interested in that ViewSonic XG2431 and my son just bought it so I'll get a chance to test it. It can run 60hz strobed which gives it amazing motion handling like a plasma or CRT.

The website Rtings had a YouTube video about how bad some of the artifacts from motion smoothing can be and I get the same issues with that on LED screens. When I go to people's houses I turn that off if it's an option. I noticed on some TV's it's not an option or I just can't find it.

High refresh rate really helps me but I find for 60FPS and 30FPS content I love pulsed screens like plasma and CRT screens. I own 6 plasma TV's in my house and have 3 CRT's in my game room. If I'm playing a game that only runs at 60FPS I always try to get it to run on a plasma or CRT. Plasma can really clean up motion blur and CRT is even better at it if you can tolerate the 60hz visible flicker.

For me my causes of eye strain are
Motion Blur
Blue Light
PWM Flicker
Frame Drops (Freesync or G-Sync works wonders for me as I have two computers one with an AMD card and the other with Nvidia no issues with either.) I have heard of some people getting less issues with G-sync over Freesync and now there is different levels of Freesync but for me both are fine.

One other thought I had is i've always had worse issues with laptop screens and I thought it was just the cheaper LED's they used in their screens. It's possible even the coating on the screen is giving you crazy problems or the type of panel. At least if it's the panel there are lots of options nowadays.
OLED
IPS
TN
VA

I have heard of some people needing lower refresh rates to not get messed up so it seems it will have to be a trail and error thing. It's so hard as everyone processes screens differently. Have you ruled out blue light? Just buy a pair of SCT orange glasses and see if that helps. I find now as my eye's are getting older LED lights are bothering me less but park me in front of an LED screen and if I can't control the settings bad things start to happen.
https://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/s1933 ... aignId=T9F