can Plasma's display 24 FPS content correctly?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
willrs

can Plasma's display 24 FPS content correctly?

Post by willrs » 04 Nov 2021, 18:17

I'm quite confused by this so I thought I should ask the experts: we know LCD's and OLED's with a 60Hz refresh rate cannot play 24 FPS content correctly, is this also the case with plasma televisions? I'm quite confused by this and was hoping someone could put it to rest (I've seen some conflicting posts on the internet about this and I'm not sure who is right and who is wrong)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: can Plasma's display 24 FPS content correctly?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Nov 2021, 09:53

willrs wrote:
04 Nov 2021, 18:17
I'm quite confused by this so I thought I should ask the experts: we know LCD's and OLED's with a 60Hz refresh rate cannot play 24 FPS content correctly, is this also the case with plasma televisions? I'm quite confused by this and was hoping someone could put it to rest (I've seen some conflicting posts on the internet about this and I'm not sure who is right and who is wrong)
The problem is the same for LCD, OLED and plasma.

- Many 60Hz panels (of any type) can’t do 24p by any means
- Many 60Hz panels (of any type) successfully do 24p by reducing refresh rate to 48Hz or 72Hz

The answer is the same, and the conflicting answers are factions that don’t believe the other exists. Just disregard them. The hidden capabilities of a 60Hz panel is not usually advertised by manufacturers.

The best plasmas, like the last Pioneer plasma units, definitely do 24p properly via 72Hz operation. There are many 60Hz panels that can’t do 72Hz natively but will apparently do 72Hz when fed 24Hz material. So, the capabilities of a panel are not quite obvious to the end user, except in judder tests.

In fact…. Some DELL 60Hz office monitors successfully do 24p just perfectly fine. They’ve just silently switched to 48Hz and display refresh cycles twice whenever fed 24Hz material.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

willrs

Re: can Plasma's display 24 FPS content correctly?

Post by willrs » 10 Nov 2021, 18:20

Oh wow. I'm happy to hear this! There's a lot I like about OLED but there is *something* about plasma that I personally just prefer. Do you have any more info about Plasma's and 24fps content? Is there a special setting or is it automatic etc. Is it only a few plasmas that can show 24fps content correctly or basically all of them?