LTT Tests HDMI Cables

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Kamen Rider Blade

LTT Tests HDMI Cables

Post by Kamen Rider Blade » 08 Nov 2021, 18:31

I'm not sure where exactly to put this, but this forum seems to be the closest subject matter related forum

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Basically, Linus Sebastian from LTT (Linus Tech Tips) bought a very expensive professional Modular Cable Tester.

He decided to test quite a variety of cables and found > 10% of the commercially sold HDMI cables didn't meet their rated specs.

One of the HDMI Cables included in his monitor failed to meet spec as well.

Way too many HDMI cables not meeting their rated specs that are being sold in retail.

50% of HDMI cables > 10' (those 15' HDMI Cables) failed to meet spec.

Linus recommends to stick with 10' or shorter copper HDMI cables or go Fiber Optic HDMI cables if you need the distance.

Also, the recommended pricing is ~ $1 a foot for copper HDMI cables

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: LTT Tests HDMI Cables

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Nov 2021, 22:58

This is a fascinating/interesting topic that seems to round-off to multiple subforums here. You made a good attempted call to figure out the right forum here.

However, because of the popular appeal of proper cables, I feel this thread belongs in "General — Displays, Graphics & More" so I've moved this thread to that forum.

Discuss on!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Kamen Rider Blade

Post by Kamen Rider Blade » 09 Nov 2021, 08:13

Thanks for finding this topic a home.

The moment I saw this series of articles, I knew it needed a thread on BlurBusters to get the word out.

ericl

Post by ericl » 09 Nov 2021, 10:09

I have to say, I wasn't THAT surprised to see that even the official Asus HDMI cable failed the test.

And of course, most 10ft ones failed as well (that explains weird anomalies I experienced with longer cables). I understand that this content is hard to create (You need a $10k machine, $1000 in cables and then 40+ man hours.) However this type of content is quite useful and I wish more reviewers created it!