Comparison benq xl2546k, hp omen x25, acer nitro xv252qf,msi mag251rx

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
IIISLIDEIII

Comparison benq xl2546k, hp omen x25, acer nitro xv252qf,msi mag251rx

Post by IIISLIDEIII » 12 Nov 2021, 07:55

As I said these days I am trying to compare some tn and ips monitors, benq xl2546k, hp omen x25, acer nitro xv252qf and msi mag251rx.
I am not a technician so I will not give technical data but only my feelings.

Speaking of backlight strobing (I will call it MBR) based on my tests I would like to say that there is not yet on the market a monitor that can come close to Benq xl2546k when it comes to motion blur reduction because everyone lacks brightness, at least for my taste, if someone is good to play competitive with 230 nits then acer nitro works fine, not as sharp as benq with Dyac + but very close, but again for me 230 nits is not enough for an optimal experience, i think the clarity of the 'image is important but brightness is equally important, my opinion is that if you want Mbr done right the only panel to buy is Benq xl2546k.

The first day I tried Benq I wrote that I didn't notice any difference between Dyac on and off, I was wrong, after using dyac for several days I immediately noticed the difference when I switched to other monitors with MBR off.

As a reactivity acer nitro is better than Benq, can confirm that Acer works well even if used at a framerate of 200 fps, almost imperceptible tearing, it would be the first of the class but unfortunately used without Mbr it is not clear how Benq with dyac is also the one with the most blurry image by default, it does not have an adjustable sharpness control so it is absolutely necessary to add a sharpness filter from the video card drivers.

Msi mag251rx is very good, if used at 240hz the performance differences compared to acer nitro are minimal but Msi has more tearing, overall if you play whitout gsync the best ips is acer nitro today.

Hp omen x25:
Clarity (without MBR) crazy, you don't miss the MBR, very little tearing and extremely responsive.
The absence of an MBR helps to provide an always fluid and clear image even when the fps drop a lot compared to the max refresh fq, which for example does not happen with benq + dyac, where you are forced to stay attached to 240hz to enjoy it benefits, if you go below 240 the image has annoying defects.
Last edited by IIISLIDEIII on 29 Nov 2021, 12:29, edited 7 times in total.

Zace

Re: Comparison benq xl2546k, hp omen x25, acer nitro xv252qf,msi mag251rx

Post by Zace » 12 Nov 2021, 10:45

It’ll be interesting if you could get the new 23.8 240hz panel monitors and compare those.

Silliker

Post by Silliker » 12 Nov 2021, 11:18

Thanks solid review, I play Apex and it usually fluctuates between 170 - 240 FPS the lowest being in fight fights (9900k and 3070ti).
Based on that lower FPS you would not recommend DYAC+ and recommend the X25 ? I use a VG258QM now and the ELMB is nice for motion clarity but with the brightness reduction makes it harder to see enemies. Also with ELMB it doesn't feel as snappy, I dont know if that is more input lag or a perception based on less motion blur. I do have the XG2431 on the way soon so I will let you guys know how that works compared to the Asus 280hz panel. Hopefully its fast without MBR tech. Another monitor coming out that looks promising is the Asus XG249CM.
VG258QM

Silliker

Post by Silliker » 12 Nov 2021, 12:38

The problem with the Omen X25 is I cant find it available anywhere ? At least in Canada or shipping to Canada.
VG258QM

IIISLIDEIII

Post by IIISLIDEIII » 12 Nov 2021, 13:13

Zace wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 10:45
It’ll be interesting if you could get the new 23.8 240hz panel monitors and compare those.
Brand and model?
Silliker wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 11:18
Thanks solid review, I play Apex and it usually fluctuates between 170 - 240 FPS the lowest being in fight fights (9900k and 3070ti).
Based on that lower FPS you would not recommend DYAC+ and recommend the X25 ? I use a VG258QM now and the ELMB is nice for motion clarity but with the brightness reduction makes it harder to see enemies. Also with ELMB it doesn't feel as snappy, I dont know if that is more input lag or a perception based on less motion blur. I do have the XG2431 on the way soon so I will let you guys know how that works compared to the Asus 280hz panel. Hopefully its fast without MBR tech. Another monitor coming out that looks promising is the Asus XG249CM.
If you are very sensitive to ghosting and blur and don't compromise there is no way to find an ips (today) that can give you the clarity that Omen has without mbr, ips can only do it with Mbr but at the cost of too low brightness (for me)
But be careful because acer has an intermediate Mbr mode that I haven't tried yet (I just forgot) which is brighter, as soon as I try it I'll give my opinion.
Last edited by IIISLIDEIII on 23 Nov 2021, 12:12, edited 1 time in total.

Silliker

Post by Silliker » 12 Nov 2021, 14:04

Thanks , I believe Zace is talking about the new Innolux panels in the models I mentioned above , Viewsonic XG2431 and asus rog strix XG249CM. Suppose to have G2G times as quick as the best TNs and hopefully slightly less input lag. They have the potential to be the quickest 240hz panels
VG258QM

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 12 Nov 2021, 21:04

I knew it!

FIrst of all let me congratulate you for this absolutely amazing thread, I love this type of content. Why? Because when it is made by people that actually play games and knows what to look for, it is awesome for us as readers. You clearly know what you are talking about and you clearly look for the same thing as me.

Now I am not surprised you had that conclusion... I have shown multiple UFO tests on this forum showing that the Acer Nitro 390hz is faaar from being a top notch choice pixel response time wise. Benq Dyac is amazing but it adds latency penalty. Omen X25 (non freesync version) is a classic TN VERY FAST panel, one of the best as I always kept repeating. And there is one even faster, Ozone DSP24 240, but the difference is not that big, so don´t bother trying it, you will be fine with Omen. Ozone is smaller tho, wich is a plus.

I will say this for the 100th time I guess, but no IPS can compete with a good TN, they simply can´t. My main monitor is IPS right now, because I got a very fast one for IPS and I got used to the much superior colours. But it is side by side with the Ozone DSP24 and if I want to go full tryhard, Ozone is the only option for me.

Similar to you, I also found Acer Nitro to be very responsive input lag wise, but the pixel response time is miles behind. And for the price, I refused to use it. I played worse with it, way worse. Couldn´t beat a single record and the trailing man.. the trailing, my eyes can´t accept trailing in 2021. All 360hz monitors have that awful trailing. They can´t keep up with the 360hz, and AUO launched 360hz on IPS simply because TN is not selling or being highly accepted as much as IPS (typical internet forums fud stuff, just like the end of superior glossy monitors and 16:10 superior aspect ratio)

Once a 360hz TN monitor drops (soon they will), no doubts we will find an even better monitor.

Once again thank you very much for this thread

IIISLIDEIII

Post by IIISLIDEIII » 13 Nov 2021, 06:50

Notty_PT wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 21:04
I knew it!

FIrst of all let me congratulate you for this absolutely amazing thread, I love this type of content. Why? Because when it is made by people that actually play games and knows what to look for, it is awesome for us as readers. You clearly know what you are talking about and you clearly look for the same thing as me.

Now I am not surprised you had that conclusion... I have shown multiple UFO tests on this forum showing that the Acer Nitro 390hz is faaar from being a top notch choice pixel response time wise. Benq Dyac is amazing but it adds latency penalty. Omen X25 (non freesync version) is a classic TN VERY FAST panel, one of the best as I always kept repeating. And there is one even faster, Ozone DSP24 240, but the difference is not that big, so don´t bother trying it, you will be fine with Omen. Ozone is smaller tho, wich is a plus.

I will say this for the 100th time I guess, but no IPS can compete with a good TN, they simply can´t. My main monitor is IPS right now, because I got a very fast one for IPS and I got used to the much superior colours. But it is side by side with the Ozone DSP24 and if I want to go full tryhard, Ozone is the only option for me.

Similar to you, I also found Acer Nitro to be very responsive input lag wise, but the pixel response time is miles behind. And for the price, I refused to use it. I played worse with it, way worse. Couldn´t beat a single record and the trailing man.. the trailing, my eyes can´t accept trailing in 2021. All 360hz monitors have that awful trailing. They can´t keep up with the 360hz, and AUO launched 360hz on IPS simply because TN is not selling or being highly accepted as much as IPS (typical internet forums fud stuff, just like the end of superior glossy monitors and 16:10 superior aspect ratio)

Once a 360hz TN monitor drops (soon they will), no doubts we will find an even better monitor.

Once again thank you very much for this thread
I am a good player but I am not a pro, I simply play fps for passion but I like to be competitive and to be competitive I need to have a very clear panel, without trails.
I would have already chosen the benq because with dyac it is very clear but if I go down to 180-190 start to see shots really annoying screen.

Last night I did some games with acer using mbr intermediate, I had not tried yet (as you know this monitor with 2 levels of mbr, normal and extreme, I had only tried extreme), the brightness with the intermediate mbr setting is excellent but the clarity remains more or less the same as when mbr is off, the only mbr mode that makes sense to use on acer is extreme
Forgive me but when you got acer did you try to use it with intermediate mbr?
Last edited by IIISLIDEIII on 23 Nov 2021, 12:17, edited 2 times in total.

Notty_PT

Post by Notty_PT » 13 Nov 2021, 07:50

I tried literally everything with Acer because I really wanted to be my main monitor, but I simply couldn´t stop noticing the trailing on every fast moving image. This is crucial when playing Quake or Apex, for example, where tracking is so important. At some point my brain would notice it immediatly and I couldn´t even focus on my game anymore. Had to get rid of it.

Now for CoD, counter strike or other slower games with fast TTK, maybe is not that crucial tbh

kyube

Post by kyube » 13 Nov 2021, 08:36

Notty_PT wrote:
13 Nov 2021, 07:50
I tried literally everything with Acer because I really wanted to be my main monitor, but I simply couldn´t stop noticing the trailing on every fast moving image. This is crucial when playing Quake or Apex, for example, where tracking is so important. At some point my brain would notice it immediatly and I couldn´t even focus on my game anymore. Had to get rid of it.

Now for CoD, counter strike or other slower games with fast TTK, maybe is not that crucial tbh
The fact you're playing Quake and Apex kinda explain why you don't enjoy the 390hz monitor as much as anyone else who has/had it.
You cannot maintain constant 390fps in those games (QL is hardcapped at 250, Apex is a stuttery mess above 240fps and is hardcapped at 300fps)
Not only that, you're not playing on higher DPI and higher polling rate (which make the 390hz effect on desktop much more apparent)
Games like CS, OW, where getting 400fps locked is very possible with proper CPU and RAM speeds would be a better benchmark for the 390hz monitor. It's a night and day difference when you compare something like a X25 vs XV252QF in the beforementioned games.
It is very possible the Acer doesn't perform as well as other 240hz on lower refresh rates, I'm not entirely sure if we've seen this on reviews yet.
I do agree it's a niche use case (driving 390hz = 390fps is hard), but, you cannot tout the panel to be bad when you're playing archaic games and game engines which aren't high refresh rate, high polling rate and high dpi ready.