Top 27" 1440p high refresh rate gaming monitors?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
User avatar
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin
Posts: 9829
Joined: 05 Dec 2013, 15:44
Location: Toronto / Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Re: Top 27" 1440p high refresh rate gaming monitors?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Nov 2021, 13:05

masterblaster wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 10:43
Is it? Why? Well, im not necessarily looking for "budget" options, but what does a 240hz 1440p give over the S72721DGF? 165hz to 240hz isnt that much of a difference.
I disagree for me.

Web browser scrolling is 1.5x clearer for 240Hz 1ms IPS.

However, it is true the general Blur Busters upgrade recommendation for the average non-esports user is 2x or 2.5x refresh rate upgrades.
  • 60 -> 120 -> 240 -> 480 -> ~1000
    --or--
  • 60 -> 144 -> 360 -> ~1000
For competitive and esports, incrementalism is FTW.

However 1.5x is right between incrementalism and visibility to everyday non-esports user.

The new 1ms 240Hz IPS refresh cleaner than the first 240Hz TNs (1ms 240Hz IPS now has less GtG blurring than first 1ms 240Hz TN). Sure, the best TN can still beat, but the new 240Hz FastIPS are roaring very good out of the front gate. 360-390Hz is pushing it (GtG as a bigger % of refresh cycle means GtG smearing/ghosting/blurring starts to interfere -- that's why 360Hz is not 1.5x clearer than 240Hz just quite yet. But IPS 240Hz is almost exactly 4x clearer than 60Hz IPS, and that's quite a standing ovation for how far IPS has improved)

We're big-time fans of strobeless blur reduction. The LOLcat in me says "MOAR FPS=HZ PLZZZZ".
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

masterblaster
Posts: 92
Joined: 02 Feb 2021, 16:19

Re: Top 27" 1440p high refresh rate gaming monitors?

Post by masterblaster » 25 Nov 2021, 13:38

lizardpeter wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 12:09

I have 60 Hz, 144 Hz, 240 Hz, and 390 Hz monitors. I’d say there’s a pretty big difference between all of them.

Personally, I’d recommend the HP Omen X 27 if the 1440p 270 Hz options are too expensive. I don’t know that much about the G7. The Dell certainly is good for the price, however. I just find it hard to recommend brand new monitors under 240 Hz (other than maybe LG C1) going into 2022 when there are so many options.
Ok. I just dont want to spend like $800 for something because id rather go with the viewsonic xg2431 then, which I might end up doing anyways. Ill check out that HP omen x27 maybe. I just know the Dell 27" is low input lag as well, and I trying to hit all my concerns while spending less than $500 you know?

I am pretty sure I am going to order the Acer 390hz monitor to try out as well and if that blows me away, ill probably keep that one.

User avatar
lizardpeter
Posts: 154
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 14:41

Re: Top 27" 1440p high refresh rate gaming monitors?

Post by lizardpeter » 25 Nov 2021, 14:05

masterblaster wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 13:38
lizardpeter wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 12:09

I have 60 Hz, 144 Hz, 240 Hz, and 390 Hz monitors. I’d say there’s a pretty big difference between all of them.

Personally, I’d recommend the HP Omen X 27 if the 1440p 270 Hz options are too expensive. I don’t know that much about the G7. The Dell certainly is good for the price, however. I just find it hard to recommend brand new monitors under 240 Hz (other than maybe LG C1) going into 2022 when there are so many options.
Ok. I just dont want to spend like $800 for something because id rather go with the viewsonic xg2431 then, which I might end up doing anyways. Ill check out that HP omen x27 maybe. I just know the Dell 27" is low input lag as well, and I trying to hit all my concerns while spending less than $500 you know?

I am pretty sure I am going to order the Acer 390hz monitor to try out as well and if that blows me away, ill probably keep that one.
Yeah, good idea. I have the 390 Hz monitor and think it’s great if you play games that have high FPS. I recommend the HP OMEN X 27 at your price range because it just fits in your budget and my friend has one. I’ve tried it and it is really nice. It’s a very fast and nice TN panel. It’s a chart leader in all of Hardware Unboxed’s reviews.

Personally, if I was going 1440p I’d go HP OMEN X 27 or one of the brand new 1440p 270 Hz IPS monitors (more expensive).

If I was going 1080p, I’d go for the Acer 390 Hz. Unless you are insanely sensitive to pixel response time and blur. Then maybe the HP OMEN X 25.

It also depends on the games you play and how used to 1440p you are. I went from 1440p to 1080p. It’s a big downgrade in terms of visual quality, but I cared more about the extra FPS I was getting at 1080p and the higher refresh rate.
i9 9900k | RTX 2080 Ti | 32 GB 4x8GB B-Die 3600 MHz CL16 | XV252QF 390 Hz 1080p | AW2518H 240 Hz 1080p | PG279Q 144 Hz 1440p

Razer Viper 8K | Artisan Zero Mid XL | Apex Pro TKL | 1 gbps FiOS (Fiber)

masterblaster
Posts: 92
Joined: 02 Feb 2021, 16:19

Re: Top 27" 1440p high refresh rate gaming monitors?

Post by masterblaster » 25 Nov 2021, 23:01

lizardpeter wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 14:05
masterblaster wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 13:38
lizardpeter wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 12:09

I have 60 Hz, 144 Hz, 240 Hz, and 390 Hz monitors. I’d say there’s a pretty big difference between all of them.

Personally, I’d recommend the HP Omen X 27 if the 1440p 270 Hz options are too expensive. I don’t know that much about the G7. The Dell certainly is good for the price, however. I just find it hard to recommend brand new monitors under 240 Hz (other than maybe LG C1) going into 2022 when there are so many options.
Ok. I just dont want to spend like $800 for something because id rather go with the viewsonic xg2431 then, which I might end up doing anyways. Ill check out that HP omen x27 maybe. I just know the Dell 27" is low input lag as well, and I trying to hit all my concerns while spending less than $500 you know?

I am pretty sure I am going to order the Acer 390hz monitor to try out as well and if that blows me away, ill probably keep that one.
Yeah, good idea. I have the 390 Hz monitor and think it’s great if you play games that have high FPS. I recommend the HP OMEN X 27 at your price range because it just fits in your budget and my friend has one. I’ve tried it and it is really nice. It’s a very fast and nice TN panel. It’s a chart leader in all of Hardware Unboxed’s reviews.

Personally, if I was going 1440p I’d go HP OMEN X 27 or one of the brand new 1440p 270 Hz IPS monitors (more expensive).

If I was going 1080p, I’d go for the Acer 390 Hz. Unless you are insanely sensitive to pixel response time and blur. Then maybe the HP OMEN X 25.

It also depends on the games you play and how used to 1440p you are. I went from 1440p to 1080p. It’s a big downgrade in terms of visual quality, but I cared more about the extra FPS I was getting at 1080p and the higher refresh rate.
Yeah thanks for the feedback. I am normally a 1080p or lower resolution player. I am just on a 1440p kick lately because this was the first time ive tried at 27" 1440p monitor and I was kind of liking the visual clarity. It did feel way different though.

I am really not looking to spend over $400-500, so my plans were to keep the viewsonic xg2431 but I am just trying to decide what I want more.

I think I knew the HP Omen X27 was good but its because it was a TN panel that I was not all that interested. We will see. I love the holiday return policies so I will have some time to try some stuff out and see whats what.

Post Reply