Preparing for Black Friday: LG's UltraGear vs Viewsonic Elite series (27" 1440p)

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
gameinn

Preparing for Black Friday: LG's UltraGear vs Viewsonic Elite series (27" 1440p)

Post by gameinn » 22 Nov 2021, 03:35

I'm thinking of upgrading from 1080p to 1440p. Only requirement is the 1440p screen be a minimum of 144 and I guess 27" (but that seems normal anyway). I feel like 165 would be preferred though coming from 1080p 240.

In terms of Viewsonic offerings, it seems pretty safe to say the ViewSonic Elite XG270QG is the only candidate. Ticks all the boxes and if I'm super lucky Amazon UK might have it on offer for £400 or so (currently £475.12). It's the one recommended by rtings right now.

The LG offerings just seem so varied in this regard with the amount of different models that I have no idea what I'm looking for. I read one change being something like "No usb hub" and that is fine. All I need the screen to do is have a display port and hdmi inputs.

Are any of the LG offerings close to the Viewsonic? Apparently B088LWWPP9 on Amazon was £289.99 about two weeks ago which seems suspiciously low. Also 27GP850 can be had for £299.99. Is that close to the Viewsonic? I don't mind paying the £400 of the Viewsonic if it is the best but if I can get a (potentially better?) screen for like £300 then that's cool. Also this popped up: 27GN88A for £289.99 (apparently this was selling for £500 last year?). After Googling someone said it's the 27GL850 panel rebranded but I don't know. Any light on this? At £289.99 it seems too good to be true.

Markachy

Re: Preparing for Black Friday: LG's UltraGear vs Viewsonic Elite series (27" 1440p)

Post by Markachy » 22 Nov 2021, 06:18

Hi there

I have the Viewsonic XG270QG - like yourself I was on the lookout for steep discounts this year, and managed to snag an Amazon Warehouse one during their regular 30% off event. So I got it, technically used, although was in perfect condition, for £394. The price you are quoting there (£475) is actually an Amazon Warehouse deal, ie it is a "used" one. Generally with Amazon Warehouse, it is a screen that someone bought and returned for some reason - could be they didn't like it, dead pixels, etc. I've only ever bought Amazon Warehouse models and they've always been perfect for me, and if they're not Amazon will take a return no problems at all. I'd recommend keeping an eye out for that Amazon Warehouse 30% off event (one generally comes along around Black Friday) so you'll get the Viewsonic for a steal!

I've not used the LG nano-IPS models, but they're all basically the same panel as far as I am aware (XG270QG has the same panel), so should be broadly equivalent. The one big advantage of the Viewsonic XG270QG over the LG models is that it has a proper Gsync module in it (which is why its so much more expensive). When I bought this monitor, I was using an AMD card, so was using Freesync. I now have an nVidia card, and so use GSync - it seems smoother to me, just works seemlessly and effortlessly compared to Freesync.

If you are using an AMD card, and don't plan to switch to nVidia, the XG270QG is probably not worth the extra money over the LG models. You'd be better with the LG nano IPS models for £300 if you're using Freesync.

Another option for you is the Gigabyte AORUS FI27Q-X, which isn't nano-IPS but uses a panel just as good, if not better, and has had some very positive reviews and is 240Hz so is a step up. However, be aware that it uses a BGR pixel arrangement which apparently some people find offensive (fringing on text among other things), so it might need some research. There are also Amazon Warehouse options available for the FI27Q-X, so with the additional 30% off deal, if it appears, will make it an absolute bargain too.

gameinn

Re: Preparing for Black Friday: LG's UltraGear vs Viewsonic Elite series (27" 1440p)

Post by gameinn » 22 Nov 2021, 06:45

I clicked the Viewsonic page to see if it was a warehouse deal and I don't think it is: https://i.imgur.com/8z2S1L2.png

"Usually dispatched with 1-2 months".

I'm trying to see what panel the 27GN88A-B is before I see if I can manage a £175 increase for the Viewsonic.

Markachy

Post by Markachy » 23 Nov 2021, 11:55

Ah you're correct, it is indeed new.

Same applies: if you're on an AMD graphics card and using Freesync, the Viewsonic isn't worth the premium. If you're on an nVidia card, or plan to upgrade to one soon, and therefore using Gsync, then the Viewsonic might well be worth it.

There is also the Dell S2721DGFA, which also has the same panel as the LG and Viewsonic (nano IPS). The Dell is Freesync also rather than "proper" full fat Gsync, although of course it also functions with nVidia cards, just without the full-fat Gsync.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-S2721DGFA ... r=1-1&th=1

Handler

Post by Handler » 24 Nov 2021, 14:20

Between these two I believe the LG27GP850 is better. Check hardware unboxed reviews on youtube and rtings.com reviews. Rtings overrates the Viewsonic IMHO, but look at the response time tables and, more importantly, the motion blur photos and compare with your own eyes. The GP850 has improved response times over its predecessor (the GN850) which was released around the same time as the Viewsonic.

gameinn

Post by gameinn » 26 Nov 2021, 05:19

Hi everyone

Ended up going for the LG 27GP850 for same price as the Dell.

Reasons over the Dell: Hardware Unboxed said it doesn't have as good an sRGB mode. LG also can go to 180 along with having some form of BFI which I can play around with to see what it looks like.