Has anyone tried the MSI MPG321QRF-QD?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
leadfarmer

Has anyone tried the MSI MPG321QRF-QD?

Post by leadfarmer » 23 Nov 2021, 09:44

Hey there, so I was able to snag a 3080 Ti FE on a Best Buy drop last week, which means new gaming computer build this Black Friday!

Anyways, I have my eyes on a few new monitors. I'm looking for 1440p, 165hz+, and preferably HDR600, which lead me to the MPG321QRF-QD for $579. Has anyone tried it?

I also have my eye on the PG329Q and XG320Q, however I'm waiting to see if those go on sale.

I'm coming from the PG278Q, and looking for a better visual experience overall, with an upgrade to refresh rate as well. I should mention I'm trying to stay around the $600 area, but I'm a bit flexible on that, and open to suggestions.

Thanks!!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Has anyone tried the MSI MPG321QRF-QD?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Nov 2021, 15:59

Woohoo, congrats.

Those GPUs are unicorns.

Regardless of what monitors you buy, try not to buy any pre-2020 panel. The 165hz IPS panel models with year 2020 or newer are quite clearly superior in less ghosting (faster pixel response & clearer motion). They smear noticeably less, with modern IPS finally being practically TN-speed nowadays (90%+).

If your upgrade cycle for monitors is very long (haven't upgraded since PG278Q), why not 240Hz? Normally, the Blur Busters upgrade recommendation is to double your refresh rate. 240Hz has half the motion blur of 120Hz, even for web-browser scrolling.

Blur Busters usual upgrade recommendation is 2x to 2.5x increase in refresh rate.
60 -> 120 -> 240 -> 480 -> 1000Hz
or
60 -> 144 -> 360 -> 1000Hz

This is the upgrade step required to see human visible benefits of the diminishing curve of returns of the refresh rate upgrades.

The path to strobeless blur reduction (looks as clear as ULMB but much brighter, and you don't need ULMB) is via ultrahigh refresh rates. Thus, you may wish to consider 1440p 240Hz, because even 165fps on a 240Hz panel is lower latency than 165fps on a 165fps panel. So you still benefit even if you can't do 240Hz.

Alternatively, buy now, and buy again in a couple years. The models you suggest aren't bad and will be very decent for your needs, but with such a 3080 upgrade, why not pamper your refresh rate too? Many old games will easily run 240fps, and even ordinary web browser scrolling looks better at 240Hz than at 144Hz.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

leadfarmer

Post by leadfarmer » 23 Nov 2021, 16:16

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 15:59
Woohoo, congrats.

Those GPUs are unicorns.

Regardless of what monitors you buy, try not to buy any pre-2020 panel. The 165hz IPS panel models with year 2020 or newer are quite clearly superior in less ghosting (faster pixel response & clearer motion). They smear noticeably less, with modern IPS finally being practically TN-speed nowadays (90%+).

If your upgrade cycle for monitors is very long (haven't upgraded since PG278Q), why not 240Hz? Normally, the Blur Busters upgrade recommendation is to double your refresh rate. 240Hz has half the motion blur of 120Hz, even for web-browser scrolling.

Blur Busters usual upgrade recommendation is 2x to 2.5x increase in refresh rate.
60 -> 120 -> 240 -> 480 -> 1000Hz
or
60 -> 144 -> 360 -> 1000Hz

This is the upgrade step required to see human visible benefits of the diminishing curve of returns of the refresh rate upgrades.

The path to strobeless blur reduction (looks as clear as ULMB but much brighter, and you don't need ULMB) is via ultrahigh refresh rates. Thus, you may wish to consider 1440p 240Hz, because even 165fps on a 240Hz panel is lower latency than 165fps on a 165fps panel. So you still benefit even if you can't do 240Hz.

Alternatively, buy now, and buy again in a couple years. The models you suggest aren't bad and will be very decent for your needs, but with such a 3080 upgrade, why not pamper your refresh rate too? Many old games will easily run 240fps, and even ordinary web browser scrolling looks better at 240Hz than at 144Hz.
Thanks! I'm still in shock that I was able to get one. Haha

Yeah I had read about doubling refresh on this site. I guess the main thing holding me back is cost - I'm already dropping a pretty penny on this whole PC build. While I don't want a "crappy" monitor, i'm not in a place to get something super high end, like $800+.

The main thing having me want to upgrade is visual quality (colors, brightness, etc).I'm hoping IPS, other panel improvements, and HDR600 will get me that. The extra Hz is just icing on the cake. And you're right, I can always sell this in a few years time, and upgrade even further.

With that being said, if you have other suggestions sub-$800, and preferably closer to $600, with the above wants, I'm all ears. Otherwise it is comforting to hear those are decent monitors! At this time I'm leaning towards the MSI as it's on sale for $579, but we'll see on Friday.

Thank you for your detailed answer, very kind and helpful.
Last edited by leadfarmer on 23 Nov 2021, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Nov 2021, 16:18

The recommendation you posted about MSI seems pretty good -- it meets your goal, criteria, and is a modern faster IPS panel. It will definitely look like an upgrade from your PG278Q for sure.

The new 1440p 240Hz panels are also wider-gamut IPS panels that will have more brilliant color than your PG278Q too as well, with almost no difference between 1440p 144Hz IPS and 1440p 240Hz IPS, except for the clearer motion that you get. The choices are limited at 1440p 240Hz however...

That being said, as long as your expectations are geared towards color and HDR600+ it will look better. It won't look like true HDR unless you get multi-thousand-zone MiniLED local dimming (still four figures, but will drop to three figures later this decade). You do get a far more colorful and brighter picture.

Be noted that much bigger screen sizes may add back a bit more motion blur (bigger screen sizes and higher resolutions make motion blur more noticeable to the human eyes at the same Hz as old screen -- more FOV means more angular blur -- requiring bigger Hz increases or higher frame rates to compensate). That said, 27" vs 32" won't matter, and the faster GtG of newer screens will compensate for that size difference. So you should expect roughly the same blur (maybe a smidge better), but better color and brightness, and the viewing angle problem of TN disappears too. There might be minor IPS glow risk, especially with the extra backlight brightness, but this generally isn't a problem for the majority of people.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

leadfarmer

Post by leadfarmer » 23 Nov 2021, 16:26

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 16:18
The recommendation you posted about MSI seems pretty good -- it meets your goal, criteria, and is a modern faster IPS panel. It will definitely look like an upgrade from your PG278Q for sure.

The new 1440p 240Hz panels are also wider-gamut IPS panels that will have more brilliant color than your PG278Q too as well, with almost no difference between 1440p 144Hz IPS and 1440p 240Hz IPS, except for the clearer motion that you get. The choices are limited at 1440p 240Hz however...

That being said, as long as your expectations are geared towards color and HDR600+ it will look better. It won't look like true HDR unless you get multi-thousand-zone MiniLED local dimming (still four figures, but will drop to three figures later this decade). You do get a far more colorful and brighter picture.

Be noted that much bigger screen sizes may add back a bit more motion blur (bigger screen sizes and higher resolutions make motion blur more noticeable to the human eyes at the same Hz as old screen -- more FOV means more angular blur -- requiring bigger Hz increases or higher frame rates to compensate). That said, 27" vs 32" won't matter, and the faster GtG of newer screens will compensate for that size difference. So you should expect roughly the same blur (maybe a smidge better), but better color and brightness, and the viewing angle problem of TN disappears too. There might be minor IPS glow risk, especially with the extra backlight brightness, but this generally isn't a problem for the majority of people.
That's great to hear. Seems to be exactly what I'm looking for, and maybe I'll be ready for another monitor upgrade in a few years!

Again, thank you very much for your detailed response! It's very much appreciated.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Nov 2021, 16:36

Optional, but if you are buying from Amazon, you can support Blur Busters via going to www.amazon.com/?tag=blurbust-20 then searching to add things to your cart, and check out that way. Or support your favourite display reviewer (like TFTCentral or PCMonitors or RTINGS or others) via their links. They pratically all use commisioned Amazon links.

Better than just blindly going to Amazon directly, and letting Amazon keep the entire profit to themselves. Winky-wink. Just saying! ;)

leadfarmer

Post by leadfarmer » 23 Nov 2021, 16:37

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 16:36
Optional, but if you are buying from Amazon, you can support Blur Busters via going to www.amazon.com/?tag=blurbust-20 then searching to add things to your cart, and check out that way. Or support your favourite display reviewer (like TFTCentral or PCMonitors or RTINGS or others) via their links. They pratically all use commisioned Amazon links.

Better than just blindly going to Amazon directly, and letting Amazon keep the entire profit to themselves. Winky-wink. Just saying! ;)
Will do! Sounds right to me haha

leadfarmer

Post by leadfarmer » 26 Nov 2021, 07:01

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
23 Nov 2021, 16:36

Hey there! So some thought about our discussion on n regards to 240hz, and my last minute comparison to G-Sync Compatible vs G-Sync and G-Sync Ultimate had me looking at monitors again.

At the end of the day, I've landed with the Alienware AW2721D. It's on sale for $750, and even allowed for a $150/mo, no interest option which really sold me.

Hopefully I haven't made a mistake! Haha