Its as if I was scammed - thankfull discovery on OLED monitor LG C1.

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
HadtoRegister

Its as if I was scammed - thankfull discovery on OLED monitor LG C1.

Post by HadtoRegister » 26 Nov 2021, 21:31

preface: i never owned tv, or watched tv. I play games and thats what I want.

Ive been gaming since i was a kid.. almost everyone did. I was comfortable with 19" monitor, i was happy with 24" monitor. The thought to upgrade was dismissed* as quickly as someone told me they play on big tv.

(* There is no conspiracy theory here to keep us playing on small monitors but the thought forming execution happened not on my choice.)

Once the monitor arrived i prepared the desk. The feeling of being scammed sank deep and quick once i put LG C1 on my desk before even turning it on. Why I was kept in such a 24" state went on my mind. This was the biggest bottleneck in gaming and I wasnt even aware of. Due to media and everyone barking at 24" or 24" widescreen monitors to being what you want with some exceptions on 27" but always LCD.). No its not what I want. I understand this now. This is different. Its pointless to even extrapolate. The jump from 24" to 48" and OLED is above significant. Its a must. It is not even a question.

Relax it is really okay. You dont need 30XX card because YOU DONT NEED to run at 4k. 1440p looks... self-explanatory. Have it. Its that simple. Anyone can somehow have 1440p experience. Just have it, please! I wouldnt even suggest having 24" or 27" to my biggest enemy. The ultra wide is just clowns monitor because 48" is basically two widescreens. And im sure widescreens have higher resolution than 1440p!

Even playing first few games it was pointless for my brain to even start compare or analyze the colors and depth and quickness of pixel responce time.

I have 24" TN acer which runs oc up to 160Hz and 24" QLED samsung which when I got was twice as good as acer.
And now I own 48" LG C1. *insert drops mic joke*

Surely as a gamer the biggest jump in gaming is the realization you feel when you go from 60Hz to 120Hz.
I dare to say going from 24" to 48" is even bigger jump. It is not only a jump but it is mandatory. I dont even want to argue about it - when i got LG C1 I didnt even flinched. The feeling of being blown away was overshadowed by the sinking sensation of being "scammed, mislead or kept in dark by 24" lcd industry and media".

Below are some key thoughts I want to share.

[Burn-in:] media - go F..K yourself. If this monitor lasts me 2years i am good - thank you and get lost.

[48" is too much, if you had 24" just get 27" ultrawide LCD]: Again my responce would be F..K off.

[You would need to sit 2 but 3meters away from this]: nope.. 110cm is perfect and for a super fast game i would want 130cm.

[You need a big table for this; LG 48" is just TOO BIG]: another passive indirect shaming tactic - disgusting. (my monitor sits on two high bar stools and i can adjust my distance ANY TIME)

[You need 30xx to play on this monitor - are you rich or something]: indirect gaslighting tactic, at 1440p i dont see any individual pixels, it is beautiful. Having this at 4k is above it.

[OLED has poor brightness]:its a scam accusation perhaps bribed by corps or a pure jealousy by journalists. I own high quality SAMSUNG QLED i am more than okay with LG brightness. (It turns out the bigger the monitor, the less brightness I need. I even reduced brightness in settings.)

[QLED QLED QLED IS AWESOME; DID YOU HEARD ABOUT MICRO LED]: okay stop this right now. This is just a gaslight so you dont have time to look for oled.

[MATH IS SCIENCE 160Hz is faster than 120Hz]: truth be told this LG C1 120Hz runs faster than my OC acer TN or my 144Hz QLED samsung. I dont know how to say it but it is. I dont care to explain but i am just stating that as is. It feels more smooth and less "sharp", maybe more natural i am not sure. I think its that instant pixel-response time.

The unsaid truth: the blacks on this monitor is hard to explain it has to be experienced. It can only be experienced to understand it. Same for 48" size.

P.S. I am not a snob, but this monitor does not blow me away because i have a feeling of "finally i have what I should have had years ago". I wont go back to any LCD or smaller size monitor or widescreen abomination. I dont need narrow by height things.

Last though: I do feel a bit sad that somehow i never experienced this (again, i dont own TV but I still wont watch tv, im just a gamer) but the sadness is part of that others are also not knowing this OLED tech in gaming. This feeling will pass because at least I made my statement. I just had to register and tell. Thank you for reading and dont feel insulted by my "perhaps" harsh words i am not native english speaker.

P.S.S. All what i said is my opinion but i tried to be honest. You may think i am in "honeymoon" phase but it is okay, i dont need to wait 6months to make a review.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Its as if I was scammed - thankfull discovery on OLED monitor LG C1.

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Nov 2021, 13:37

HadtoRegister wrote:
26 Nov 2021, 21:31
[Burn-in:] media - go F..K yourself. If this monitor lasts me 2years i am good - thank you and get lost.

[48" is too much, if you had 24" just get 27" ultrawide LCD]: Again my responce would be F..K off.

[You would need to sit 2 but 3meters away from this]: nope.. 110cm is perfect and for a super fast game i would want 130cm.
That's been my recommendation when using LG OLED -- 3-to-4 feet viewing distance, so 110cm is perfect.

I know many using Visual Studio with OLEDs recalibrated to a burn-in-proof ~100nits. Buying a colorimeter is just like purchasing an insurance policy for your OLED, once recalibrated to 100nits, it becomes mostly burnin proof for the first 2-3 years anyway.

The only monitors that gets much clearer than OLED is the "refresh rate headroom" tricks (low-Hz strobing on a high-Hz monitor), which is the only way for LCDs to have better motion clarity than OLEDs. Like Blur Busters Approved 2.0 strobing. People have to intentionally buy more refresh rate than they need to get superlative-quality low-Hz strobing, which is also something many people don't know (if they get more eyestrain from motion blur than from bad color etc -- everybody reacts differently -- we are Blur Busters, and we bust blur -- and we know about the strain of blur that some people get).

That said, the color gamut of LCD is crappy usually. Most are not willing to pay 2-3x the price for an OLED-quality LCD. I have seen thousands of displays at conventions and occasionally I come across LCDs with as deep blacks as OLED, and better quality than OLEDs - they are driven by tens of thousands of LEDs in bloom-free local dimming. Currently, it is still cheaper to build a 100,000-pixel 100,000-zone monochrome LED backlight (as a local dimmer) than a direct-view MicroLED of over 24 million color pixels.

But I agree, most don't realize just how good OLEDs are (in other attributes) than LCDs.

In the past, before pandemic -- paying airfare and visiting CES and looking at all the displays throughout, is also a great way to realize there's vastly superior displays including expensive LCDs and good OLEDs. I welcome both to arrive in desktop monitors more.

We've been fed so many bottom-barrel desktop LCDs that we don't realize superior LCDs/OLEDs exist.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lizardpeter

Post by lizardpeter » 27 Nov 2021, 15:05

HadtoRegister wrote:
Are you a competitive gamer or a casual one? I also recommend the C1 to people, but I don’t think it’s a substitute to 24-25” ultra-high refresh rate monitors for competitive gamers.
i9 9900k | RTX 2080 Ti | 32 GB 4x8GB B-Die 3600 MT/s CL16 | XV252QF 390 Hz 1080p | AW2518H 240 Hz 1080p | PG279Q 144 Hz 1440p

Razer Viper 8K | Artisan Zero Mid XL | Apex Pro TKL | 1 gbps FiOS (Fiber)

HadtoRegister

Post by HadtoRegister » 27 Nov 2021, 23:11

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
27 Nov 2021, 13:37
HadtoRegister wrote:

That's been my recommendation when using LG OLED -- 3-to-4 feet viewing distance, so 110cm is perfect.

I know many using Visual Studio with OLEDs recalibrated to a burn-in-proof ~100nits. Buying a colorimeter is just like purchasing an insurance policy for your OLED, once recalibrated to 100nits, it becomes mostly burnin proof for the first 2-3 years anyway.

The only monitors that gets much clearer than OLED is the "refresh rate headroom" tricks (low-Hz strobing on a high-Hz monitor), which is the only way for LCDs to have better motion clarity than OLEDs. Like Blur Busters Approved 2.0 strobing. People have to intentionally buy more refresh rate than they need to get superlative-quality low-Hz strobing, which is also something many people don't know (if they get more eyestrain from motion blur than from bad color etc -- everybody reacts differently -- we are Blur Busters, and we bust blur -- and we know about the strain of blur that some people get).

That said, the color gamut of LCD is crappy usually. Most are not willing to pay 2-3x the price for an OLED-quality LCD. I have seen thousands of displays at conventions and occasionally I come across LCDs with as deep blacks as OLED, and better quality than OLEDs - they are driven by tens of thousands of LEDs in bloom-free local dimming. Currently, it is still cheaper to build a 100,000-pixel 100,000-zone monochrome LED backlight (as a local dimmer) than a direct-view MicroLED of over 24 million color pixels.

But I agree, most don't realize just how good OLEDs are (in other attributes) than LCDs.

In the past, before pandemic -- paying airfare and visiting CES and looking at all the displays throughout, is also a great way to realize there's vastly superior displays including expensive LCDs and good OLEDs. I welcome both to arrive in desktop monitors more.

We've been fed so many bottom-barrel desktop LCDs that we don't realize superior LCDs/OLEDs exist.
I would like to add that ive been having bad eye strain from my QLED samsung 120Hz(which is much newer than tn acer).

My LCD 144Hz acer has less eye strain than samsung - i dont know why.

And my 10year old LCD tn viewsonic is even more pleasant for eyes in terms of eyestrain.

The ULMB (for acer tn) does nothing. The eye saving blue light mode from samsung QLED does nothing for eye strain reduction either.

With oled - ive yet to test this thoroughly so i didnt even mentioned in my original post but so far perhaps its i think its not more straining than qled.

I also not sure where to find OLED channel to talk through settings and some random questions that dont seem worthy to spam on forums yet.(I dont use reddit). For example while i write this my oled become darker and then on its own become brighter. :D

In any way - I already grown used to 48" even though i was with 24" for YEARS. Its so natural to have 48" size i am not sure why. I wouldnt even want smaller one. Thank you for replies and i hope you guys start looking at oled - they are different breed!

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 28 Nov 2021, 08:19

HadtoRegister wrote: I also not sure where to find OLED channel to talk through settings and some random questions that dont seem worthy to spam on forums yet.(I dont use reddit). For example while i write this my oled become darker and then on its own become brighter. :D
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2021-l ... k.3190432/
Dimming the brightness for static objects.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
HadtoRegister wrote:
48 inches diagonal. 107 centimeters wide.
55 inches diagonal. 122 centimeters wide.
I have 55 and I sit 130 cm away from him.

Magical 100-110 nits for sdr. And it's like the law for working with photographs.
jorimt calibrated all of its monitors to 100nits.
I calibrated all my monitors to 65nits gamma 2.2

lg grayscale out of the box is just awful. Without a colorimeter, you can't 100% enjoy dark scenes.
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

HadtoRegister

Post by HadtoRegister » 29 Nov 2021, 08:11

1000WATT wrote:
28 Nov 2021, 08:19
HadtoRegister wrote: I also not sure where to find OLED channel to talk through settings and some random questions that dont seem worthy to spam on forums yet.(I dont use reddit). For example while i write this my oled become darker and then on its own become brighter. :D
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2021-l ... k.3190432/
Dimming the brightness for static objects.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
HadtoRegister wrote:
48 inches diagonal. 107 centimeters wide.
55 inches diagonal. 122 centimeters wide.
I have 55 and I sit 130 cm away from him.

Magical 100-110 nits for sdr. And it's like the law for working with photographs.
jorimt calibrated all of its monitors to 100nits.
I calibrated all my monitors to 65nits gamma 2.2

lg grayscale out of the box is just awful. Without a colorimeter, you can't 100% enjoy dark scenes.
That thread has something about running slideshow rgb and cyan magenta and black to "wear in" monitor. Im not sure how good or bad it is but i think it should be ok idea.. Seems to be useful stuff thanks for sharing that other link. but is it really good thing to do with those slideshows?

Naveronasis

Post by Naveronasis » 02 Dec 2021, 03:42

I have almost every kind of display imagineable...

I own over 100 CRT.
3LCD projectors
DLP Projectors
Indextron
Projection CRT
Old and New LCD
Quantum Dot Microled
Wide Color Gamut Display
144hz LCD
1080p Plasma

AND I have played on Laser and Oled Displays . . .

Oled is good, bigger size is a unique experience, but CRT is still my absolute favorite, whether it's my Gigantic 40" Sony HDCRT, or my W900 24" Widescreen PC CRT, or even one of my 4:3 19" Displays.

Some day, Oled, or more likely, nanoled, will surpass my CRT's and for some games the LCD's are superior (and OLED would yet surpass them) like Stellaris, Civillization, ETC. But I would not surrender the use of CRT for an Oled, except for the fact that it would be easier to replace most of my CRT's than it is to buy a new Oled lol... so I mean... anyway. Economics Aside, if I had to choose OLED forever or CRT Forever my vote is still CRT even if 24" 1440p is the best we ever got.

Additionally, high-end Plasma is on par image quality-wise to oled (minus 4k, Minus HDR) but the input lag is awful on every plasma I've ever tried.
240hz DLP is also fucking awesome on a 150" screen, and you can do other crazy things with projectors... but at the risk of going on a wild tangent about how to set up 16 player split-screen for local multiplayer yard parties, I will digress.

In order:
CRT>Oled>DLP Projector>Wide Color Gamut>else.

Now if only we could get a 24" 4k capable, HDR CRT. . . all of which IS possible (granted the shadowmask would probably have a DPI lower than 4k but anyway again, leaving it there as to not start another long tangent) we would have perfection. But alas, it will never happen.