HP Omen X 27 + 27inch FPS Gaming

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
buddha

HP Omen X 27 + 27inch FPS Gaming

Post by buddha » 06 Dec 2021, 17:13

I have been playing with the Omen for a day or so now and while initially I was massively put off by the extra size, being used to 24 inch monitors, changing my aspect ratio from 4:3 to 3:2 and increasing FOV slightly made it feel much better, yet still not as comfortable as 24 inches.

https://imgur.com/a/iQqCzWU I took some UFO shots in 960 and 1440 Pixels per second. I didn't think 960 showed the extra overshoot so clearly in level 4 overdrive.

I had previously tried the AOC 24G2ZE, HP Omen x 25f and Asus VG259QM, I put UFO shots of those in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9386

I find myself very torn between what feels like a huge upgrade in clarity in visual games at 1440p versus being put off by the extra size in first person shooters and obviously less frames per second at a higher resolution. A 24inch 1440p display seems ideal but I am not holding my breath for that.

I probably spend 70% of my gaming time in Rainbow Six Siege so I certainly place a higher value on comfort in fps but 1080p is looking quite blurry to me now. I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on gaming at 27 inches generally and 1440p too.

IIISLIDEIII

Re: HP Omen X 27 + 27inch FPS Gaming

Post by IIISLIDEIII » 06 Dec 2021, 18:49

buddha wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 17:13
I have been playing with the Omen for a day or so now and while initially I was massively put off by the extra size, being used to 24 inch monitors, changing my aspect ratio from 4:3 to 3:2 and increasing FOV slightly made it feel much better, yet still not as comfortable as 24 inches.

https://imgur.com/a/iQqCzWU I took some UFO shots in 960 and 1440 Pixels per second. I didn't think 960 showed the extra overshoot so clearly in level 4 overdrive.

I had previously tried the AOC 24G2ZE, HP Omen x 25f and Asus VG259QM, I put UFO shots of those in this thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9386

I find myself very torn between what feels like a huge upgrade in clarity in visual games at 1440p versus being put off by the extra size in first person shooters and obviously less frames per second at a higher resolution. A 24inch 1440p display seems ideal but I am not holding my breath for that.

I probably spend 70% of my gaming time in Rainbow Six Siege so I certainly place a higher value on comfort in fps but 1080p is looking quite blurry to me now. I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on gaming at 27 inches generally and 1440p too.
omen x27 has excellent performance, almost on the same level as its little brother x25, but it is too big.

There is no way that 27 would be an ideal fit to be competitive in a shooter, it's too big, after all, if 99.9% of pro players use 24 inches there is a reason.

Several times I have made the comparison between 24 and 27 and it is not even a discussion to open, on 24 you are much more reactive, fast, instantaneous, you have everything under control much more easily, not even putting the 27 very far away can you get it same feeling because you are too detached from the action and you lose focus, there is nothing to do.

I love the higher resolution and the detail it offers 1440p compared to 1080, but every time I tried it was just a pleasure for the eyes, my performances were worse, much worse.

If you have an nvidia gpu go to the control panel and try to create a 24.5 inside 27 and use it like this, set no scaling and create a custom resolution around 2364x1330 and try like this, you will have the black bands around the image but you get a 24.5 inch 2k.

P.s
24 monitors with 2k resolution are rare and the reason is that it's not worth it, 1440p has a pixel density that works best on a 27 diagonal, spreading those pixels on a smaller surface like a 24 is a waste of little useful resources because on a small size as 24 inches the difference in perceived sharpness between 1080 and 1440 is not so great as to justify the transition and dropped frames.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 10 Dec 2021, 17:23

You've really gone and done it. X25 seems to be just a notch faster, basically the same. Try and play around with RGB values and contrast. That might shorten some of the transitions.
For me 27" upgrade made games fell more immersive and enjoyable, had no impact aim wise. Note that brain and muscle memory will adopt to changes. So it's not really a big deal.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Dec 2021, 18:53

For casual gaming, size matters a lot less -- if you're just having fun in the mid range and don't really want to fight the best people in esports.

Ask yourself: Do you need glasses? Are you far sighted? Are you near sighted?

Everybody has a different eyeglasses prescription, and a 27" far away is much clearer/more immersive to some far-sighted eyes (that requires eyeglasses for a closer 24" monitor). Wearing eyeglasses sometimes makes things less immersive for some people.

Sometimes 24" and 27" is equally immersive if you have a different eyeglasses prescription that "makes the 27" monitor closer to your eyes virtually, making it look like a 24" monitor sitting closer to you". This can be preferable to a 24" monitor simulating a 21" monitor even closer to your eyes (more uncomfortable).

Certain eyeglasses prescriptions have a different optical "bring things closer" effect that can be comfortable/uncomfortable!

Yet for other far-sighted people where 24" is too blurry but 27" further away is sharp -- sometimes going eyeglasses-free is more immersive, using a bigger monitor farther away to accommodate far-sighted eyes.

Also, incidentially, many 24" panels have faster pixel response than 27" panels, so this can distort things; but apples-vs-apples the story becomes a bit dependant on your eyeglasses prescription.
IIISLIDEIII wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 18:49
Several times I have made the comparison between 24 and 27 and it is not even a discussion to open, on 24 you are much more reactive, fast, instantaneous, you have everything under control much more easily, not even putting the 27 very far away can you get it same feeling because you are too detached from the action and you lose focus, there is nothing to do.
I mostly agree, except for the claim of no-contest claim because there are exceptions (vision)....

Let me guess: You do not wear glasses? ;)

Most are fine with 24" but there are situations where vision issues pushes it to a blurry 24" focus or a comfortable 27" focus -- different eyes, different prescription, imperfect glasses, etc.

:D
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

IIISLIDEIII

Post by IIISLIDEIII » 10 Dec 2021, 20:08

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 18:53
For casual gaming, size matters a lot less -- if you're just having fun in the mid range and don't really want to fight the best people in esports.

Ask yourself: Do you need glasses? Are you far sighted? Are you near sighted?

Everybody has a different eyeglasses prescription, and a 27" far away is much clearer/more immersive to some far-sighted eyes (that requires eyeglasses for a closer 24" monitor). Wearing eyeglasses sometimes makes things less immersive for some people.

Sometimes 24" and 27" is equally immersive if you have a different eyeglasses prescription that "makes the 27" monitor closer to your eyes virtually, making it look like a 24" monitor sitting closer to you". This can be preferable to a 24" monitor simulating a 21" monitor even closer to your eyes (more uncomfortable).

Certain eyeglasses prescriptions have a different optical "bring things closer" effect that can be comfortable/uncomfortable!

Yet for other far-sighted people where 24" is too blurry but 27" further away is sharp -- sometimes going eyeglasses-free is more immersive, using a bigger monitor farther away to accommodate far-sighted eyes.

Also, incidentially, many 24" panels have faster pixel response than 27" panels, so this can distort things; but apples-vs-apples the story becomes a bit dependant on your eyeglasses prescription.
IIISLIDEIII wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 18:49
I mostly agree, except for the claim of no-contest claim because there are exceptions (vision)....

Let me guess: You do not wear glasses? ;)

Most are fine with 24" but there are situations where vision issues pushes it to a blurry 24" focus or a comfortable 27" focus -- different eyes, different prescription, imperfect glasses, etc.

:D
you guessed it, I don't wear glasses.
Your reasoning is intelligent, I had not considered the situations of those who use eyeglasses, my speech was solely focused on performance and not on perceived sharpness.

These days I am continuing to compare my 24.5 monitors and in the middle I am also trying a 27 2k, in order not to "feel" it giant I have to push it so far that it goes beyond my desk, it is about 80cm from my eyes and I had to create a temporary support behind the desk to support it.

The result is a sharp, clean image, much more beautiful than 24.5, but I still feel awkward and heavy in my movements, probably
it's just a feeling but my scores get worse, on 24.5 I feel faster, faster in moving, I rotate, flick, jump with a reactivity that on 27 I don't feel I have, for me it is so obvious that I really wonder how can it be different for someone else.

masterblaster

Post by masterblaster » 10 Dec 2021, 20:28

I am in the same situation kinda. I have always played at either 1080p or lower resolutions actually. Just recently I tried a 27" 1440p monitor and I kind of liked the clarity so I just bought two 27" 1440p monitors to try out recently and see if I like it or not. I dont know if I will end up going that route or jump back to 24-25" 1080 monitors just yet.

One thing to remember is, technically, you can always make the screen smaller with scaling on a 27" monitor and reduce the size to 25" 1080. You would just have black borders around the screen. I do that sometimes. So you can still do the smaller screen size gaming if you really didnt want the 1440p. You cant, however, make a 25" 1080p screen bigger...obviously.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Dec 2021, 20:58

masterblaster wrote:
10 Dec 2021, 20:28
I am in the same situation kinda. I have always played at either 1080p or lower resolutions actually. Just recently I tried a 27" 1440p monitor and I kind of liked the clarity so I just bought two 27" 1440p monitors to try out recently and see if I like it or not. I dont know if I will end up going that route or jump back to 24-25" 1080 monitors just yet.

One thing to remember is, technically, you can always make the screen smaller with scaling on a 27" monitor and reduce the size to 25" 1080. You would just have black borders around the screen. I do that sometimes. So you can still do the smaller screen size gaming if you really didnt want the 1440p. You cant, however, make a 25" 1080p screen bigger...obviously.
Yes, simulating a smaller monitor with a bigger monitor.
It's hacky, but allows more use cases in the same monitor.

Another trick is adjusting FOV so that the middle 24" of 27" is the same as a 24" monitor, with the extra 27" stuff being extensions beyond a 24" FOV. However, many games lock the FOV during online play, so you cannot always do this.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

buddha

Post by buddha » 21 Dec 2021, 15:44

After playing with it for a couple of weeks I think the extra size didn't effect my aim much. Initially it was off putting but I got used to it and just tweaking my FOV slightly higher (wider) felt very natural. 1440p was very nice for some extra clarity and makes games look much nicer with anti aliasing off. I ended up returning it however, just a little too much for me to spend right now after being price gouged for a GPU.

I saw the Acer Nitro XV252Q Z for £200 at Scan.co.uk which I think is still in stock, seemed like a great price for what I think is the same panel as Asus VG259QM. I'm trying it out now, I can't see much info on this monitor around but hopefully this is the monitor I stick with.

kyube

Post by kyube » 22 Dec 2021, 12:49

As this topic is about the X 27 and it's trending currently, supposedly the X 27 is overclockable to 270hz (perhaps even more? testing needed), verified by a fellow r/monitors discord member. Definitely one of the better picks for extreme motion clarity at 1440p

buddha

Post by buddha » 23 Dec 2021, 10:59

kyube wrote:
22 Dec 2021, 12:49
As this topic is about the X 27 and it's trending currently, supposedly the X 27 is overclockable to 270hz (perhaps even more? testing needed), verified by a fellow r/monitors discord member. Definitely one of the better picks for extreme motion clarity at 1440p
Unfortunately I didn't try to overclock so I can't comment but a superb monitor for sure.