Need advice on a 1440P IPS monitor set and forget settings

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
MajorFoley

Need advice on a 1440P IPS monitor set and forget settings

Post by MajorFoley » 06 Dec 2021, 23:43

So i want to get my first 1440P high refresh rate monitor (coming from an XB241H Acer Predator monitor) but I'm at a loss what to pick and checking places like hardware unboxed and rtings haven't really made the choice easier. From my understanding of overdrive (and it could be wrong) is that the best setting is ususally only good if you can maintain fps at that refresh rate and not if it dips below to something like 60. I want a set and forget option so looking at overdrive i dont want to have to switch between fast or normal or off depending on the games i play. Sometimes i play dark souls which limits itself to 60 or i play a game like Tarkov which is not really optimised and can go anywhere from something like 100fps to 60fps and less depending on the area, then playing other games where i can hit that high target.

the Dell 2721DGF seems to be the closest i can find that has a set and forget setting or the Alienware 2721D with variable overdrive that does it for you (i guess due to g-sync module?) People have also been recommending me the LG 27GP83B-B but that one looks like you have to change the setting and i dunno how that affects a game where the FPS can dip sharply.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by MajorFoley on 07 Dec 2021, 06:32, edited 1 time in total.

Discorz
VIP Member

Re: Need advice on a 1440P IPS monitor set and forget settings

Post by Discorz » 07 Dec 2021, 05:21

Almost every monitor has set and forget option it just depends on if u care about response times. If u want best overdrive than I assume you do. What is your current monitor? Have you ever experienced high refresh rate?

27GP83B is actually a good option for your needs. 27GP850 can be found at similar prices but it has more features. 2721DGF is also good but there are newer slightly faster panels. Wouldn't recommend G-SYNC ($100-200 extra) since there are just as good monitors but cheaper. Also if u don't have nvidia gpu some things get disabled. For 240Hz there is XG27AQM but im not sure if it has 60Hz lag issue. AW is not bad either. For 32" 1440p M32Q is the way to go.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

MajorFoley

Post by MajorFoley » 07 Dec 2021, 06:32

Discorz wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 05:21
Almost every monitor has set and forget option it just depends on if u care about response times. If u want best overdrive than I assume you do. What is your current monitor? Have you ever experienced high refresh rate?

27GP83B is actually a good option for your needs. 27GP850 can be found at similar prices but it has more features. 2721DGF is also good but there are newer slightly faster panels. Wouldn't recommend G-SYNC ($100-200 extra) since there are just as good monitors but cheaper. Also if u don't have nvidia gpu some things get disabled. For 240Hz there is XG27AQM but im not sure if it has 60Hz lag issue. AW is not bad either. For 32" 1440p M32Q is the way to go.
Crap thought id mentioned it i'll edit the post to reflect it, im using a TN Acer Predator XB241H. I haven't really touched ANY of the settings from it at all to be honest but it was a monitor with G-sync so i assume when i booted up content like dark souls it would show which display tech it was using (it would come up with the DP logo as if it was turning on) i guess that would be variable overdrive in play?

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 07 Dec 2021, 06:47

Than better go with higher refresh rate if u want to feel like you've upgraded. Even tho coming from 180 to 240Hz isn't a massive difference. 360Hz would be better, halving the mprt blur. But there are no 360Hz 1440p options YET.

There is XV272U Xbmiiphzx. User sk1p claims its best IPS he tried. EVE's ES07D02 should be released, not sure when.

Try and play around with overdrive on you monitor. See if u notice any difference between different modes.
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup

MajorFoley

Post by MajorFoley » 07 Dec 2021, 07:28

Discorz wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 06:47
Than better go with higher refresh rate if u want to feel like you've upgraded. Even tho coming from 180 to 240Hz isn't a massive difference. 360Hz would be better, halving the mprt blur. But there are no 360Hz 1440p options YET.

There is XV272U Xbmiiphzx. User sk1p claims its best IPS he tried. EVE's ES07D02 should be released, not sure when.

Try and play around with overdrive on you monitor. See if u notice any difference between different modes.
Kinda less about refresh rate at this point and getting a higher resolution and some better colours. XV272U in Australia for some reason costs $846 on amazon and no other place i know of sells it. Never used the 180hz feature on my monitor didnt feel like it was necessary with 144hz. I do have an Nvidia GPU due to my monitor at the time i bought it although I now use a 3070.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 07 Dec 2021, 12:14

MajorFoley wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 23:43
From my understanding of overdrive (and it could be wrong) is that the best setting is ususally only good if you can maintain fps at that refresh rate and not if it dips below to something like 60. I want a set and forget option so looking at overdrive i dont want to have to switch between fast or normal or off depending on the games i play.
That applies only to G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync displays. Native G-SYNC monitors that contain a module feature variable overdrive, so overdrive performance is equalized regardless of current frame/refresh rate; set your base overdrive preset, forget it.

In fact I'm playing through the Dark Souls series again right now, which are all locked to 60 FPS, and at 60 FPS/240Hz G-SYNC, overdrive performance looks the same as it does at 240 FPS/240Hz G-SYNC.

I own the PG279QM, which is one of the latest 2560x1440 native G-SYNC monitor models (w/240Hz refresh rate), but there's a reason most buyers settle for G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync models; native G-SYNC models are far and few between, and pricier, sometimes much more so, especially in certain regions.

But if you want to virtually guarantee avoidance of the potential roulette wheel of software-only VRR issues, such as lack of variable overdrive, LFC kicking in too early, higher framerate flicker, and any driver-level VRR dependent behaviors that can come and go with driver versions, it can be worth it.

That said, I also own a G-SYNC Compatible LG CX, which, where base VRR behavior is concerned, is entirely comparable to my native G-SYNC display, and since OLED has a near zero GtG, there's no need for overdrive, variable or not.

It just that not all FreeSync G-SYNC Compatible displays are made equal; there's a lot more variance between those than there are between native models, so it can be harder to pick with confidence since there's more Venn diagram overlaps to consider, so to speak.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

MajorFoley

Post by MajorFoley » 07 Dec 2021, 13:44

jorimt wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 12:14
MajorFoley wrote:
06 Dec 2021, 23:43
From my understanding of overdrive (and it could be wrong) is that the best setting is ususally only good if you can maintain fps at that refresh rate and not if it dips below to something like 60. I want a set and forget option so looking at overdrive i dont want to have to switch between fast or normal or off depending on the games i play.
That applies only to G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync displays. Native G-SYNC monitors that contain a module feature variable overdrive, so overdrive performance is equalized regardless of current frame/refresh rate; set your base overdrive preset, forget it.

In fact I'm playing through the Dark Souls series again right now, which are all locked to 60 FPS, and at 60 FPS/240Hz G-SYNC, overdrive performance looks the same as it does at 240 FPS/240Hz G-SYNC.

I own the PG279QM, which is one of the latest 2560x1440 native G-SYNC monitor models (w/240Hz refresh rate), but there's a reason most buyers settle for G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync models; native G-SYNC models are far and few between, and pricier, sometimes much more so, especially in certain regions.

But if you want to virtually guarantee avoidance of the potential roulette wheel of software-only VRR issues, such as lack of variable overdrive, LFC kicking in too early, higher framerate flicker, and any driver-level VRR dependent behaviors that can come and go with driver versions, it can be worth it.

That said, I also own a G-SYNC Compatible LG CX, which, where base VRR behavior is concerned, is entirely comparable to my native G-SYNC display, and since OLED has a near zero GtG, there's no need for overdrive, variable or not.

It just that not all FreeSync G-SYNC Compatible displays are made equal; there's a lot more variance between those than there are between native models, so it can be harder to pick with confidence since there's more Venn diagram overlaps to consider, so to speak.
I did look at that monitor at one point. Except it's like 1500 AUD (https://www.pccasegear.com/products/544 ... in-monitor) and sure if it's good id get my money's worth out of it because there would be a good chance I'd keep it for 5-10 years. And another one I know that still has a g sync module is the alienware 2721D, which tends to go on sale for around 800 AUD pretty often along with the 2721DGF which goes to around 400-450 AUD

That's kinda cool to hear on the LG but can't really fit a tv for a monitor on the desk :)

I think the two closest otherwise that could fit what I want if it was just g-sync compatible would be the Dell 2721dgf which both ratings and hardware unboxed reckon one preset is good for both and the MSI QRF QD (honestly cannot remember what the full name of that monitor is) and yeah like you mentioned it's like a Venn diagram.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 07 Dec 2021, 14:17

MajorFoley wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 13:44
I did look at that monitor at one point. Except it's like 1500 AUD (https://www.pccasegear.com/products/544 ... in-monitor)
Yeah, that's ridiculous. I got mine for $899.99 USD retail (not counting tax), and that's already expensive enough for a non-FALD, non-strobed display without true HDR support (I'm fine with SDR games still), but it matched my very specific requirements, and I stick with my main displays for 5-10 years as well, so you're mileage may vary depending on your requirements.
MajorFoley wrote:
That's kinda cool to hear on the LG but can't really fit a tv for a monitor on the desk :)
Yup, Venn territory again. That, and unless you can keep a locked FPS with stable frametime with that TV, there is unavoidable near-black gamma flicker in VRR mode due to how OLED currently works, so that would be something to consider as well.
MajorFoley wrote:
I think the two closest otherwise that could fit what I want if it was just g-sync compatible would be the Dell 2721dgf which both ratings and hardware unboxed reckon one preset is good for both and the MSI QRF QD (honestly cannot remember what the full name of that monitor is) and yeah like you mentioned it's like a Venn diagram.
Right, it's hard to recommend any particular FreeSync models, because again, they all have slightly different implementations where things like overdrive are concerned during VRR operation. That, and everyone has different priorities, preferences, and needs when it comes to displays.

RTINGs also has reviews for those two you mentioned though:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2721dgf
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... g274qrf-qd

TFTCentral is another good place for monitor reviews, even though their review output is pretty low lately.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

MajorFoley

Post by MajorFoley » 07 Dec 2021, 22:58

jorimt wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 14:17
MajorFoley wrote:
I did look at that monitor at one point. Except it's like 1500 AUD (https://www.pccasegear.com/products/544 ... in-monitor)
Yeah, that's ridiculous. I got mine for $899.99 USD retail (not counting tax), and that's already expensive enough for a non-FALD, non-strobed display without true HDR support (I'm fine with SDR games still), but it matched my very specific requirements, and I stick with my main displays for 5-10 years as well, so you're mileage may vary depending on your requirements.
MajorFoley wrote:
Yup, Venn territory again. That, and unless you can keep a locked FPS with stable frametime with that TV, there is unavoidable near-black gamma flicker in VRR mode due to how OLED currently works, so that would be something to consider as well.
MajorFoley wrote:
Right, it's hard to recommend any particular FreeSync models, because again, they all have slightly different implementations where things like overdrive are concerned during VRR operation. That, and everyone has different priorities, preferences, and needs when it comes to displays.

RTINGs also has reviews for those two you mentioned though:
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2721dgf
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/ ... g274qrf-qd

TFTCentral is another good place for monitor reviews, even though their review output is pretty low lately.
Lol autocorrect changed rtings to ratings! Damn phone replies. Yeah thats the site i meant. Everyone who's seemed to have bought a DGF has been pretty happy although i guess the one downside is colour calibration although not too sure on how important that one is for gaming as i guess some prefer over saturated colours etc.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 07 Dec 2021, 23:52

MajorFoley wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 22:58
Lol autocorrect changed rtings to ratings! Damn phone replies. Yeah thats the site i meant. Everyone who's seemed to have bought a DGF has been pretty happy although i guess the one downside is colour calibration although not too sure on how important that one is for gaming as i guess some prefer over saturated colours etc.
Ah, gotcha.

As for the color space of modern monitors, that's the rub; the majority of them now have 10-bit wide gamut capability, but most without full HDR capability, and some without sRGB clamping/emulation options.

The latter isn't a big deal for some, but for me, that's one of the things I was holding out for; a native G-SYNC display with a modern wide gamut panel that supports sRGB clamping, and G-SYNC modules didn't support that until the 2.0 revisions that came out recently.

That's one thing FreeSync G-SYNC Compatible displays aren't limited by due to using common scalers, but some manufacturers still decide not to include the option for whatever reason anyway, forcing the monitor to be in wide gamut mode 100% of the time, even when the majority of PC content is in sRGB.

That said, if you're not a calibration stickler like me, then it's neither here nor there really.