Need advice on a 1440P IPS monitor set and forget settings

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
MajorFoley

Re: Need advice on a 1440P IPS monitor set and forget settings

Post by MajorFoley » 08 Dec 2021, 00:47

jorimt wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 23:52
MajorFoley wrote:
07 Dec 2021, 22:58
Lol autocorrect changed rtings to ratings! Damn phone replies. Yeah thats the site i meant. Everyone who's seemed to have bought a DGF has been pretty happy although i guess the one downside is colour calibration although not too sure on how important that one is for gaming as i guess some prefer over saturated colours etc.
Ah, gotcha.

As for the color space of modern monitors, that's the rub; the majority of them now have 10-bit wide gamut capability, but most without full HDR capability, and some without sRGB clamping/emulation options.

The latter isn't a big deal for some, but for me, that's one of the things I was holding out for; a native G-SYNC display with a modern wide gamut panel that supports sRGB clamping, and G-SYNC modules didn't support that until the 2.0 revisions that came out recently.

That's one thing FreeSync G-SYNC Compatible displays aren't limited by due to using common scalers, but some manufacturers still decide not to include the option for whatever reason anyway, forcing the monitor to be in wide gamut mode 100% of the time, even when the majority of PC content is in sRGB.

That said, if you're not a calibration stickler like me, then it's neither here nor there really.
Well i was looking at colour calibration but unfortunately at least where i am you cant just rent one you have to buy your own so not sure if it would be worth doing that as its mostly gonna be for gaming not photo editing etc.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 08 Dec 2021, 09:27

MajorFoley wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 00:47
Well i was looking at colour calibration but unfortunately at least where i am you cant just rent one you have to buy your own so not sure if it would be worth doing that as its mostly gonna be for gaming not photo editing etc.
Unless the wide gamut monitor model you purchase has an sRGB clamp option ("sRGB" picture presets aren't always the same as a clamp), then there would be no practical way to calibrate it to sRGB, even with a meter, since it would still be in the DCI-P3 color space.

That said, I took a look, and apparently, an sRGB clamp was added to the MAG274QRF-QD in a firmware update at some point. The S2721DGF, however, does not have a clamp (and they never plan to add one: https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors ... 71#M131508).
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

MajorFoley

Post by MajorFoley » 08 Dec 2021, 11:30

jorimt wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 09:27
MajorFoley wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 00:47
Unless the wide gamut monitor model you purchase has an sRGB clamp option ("sRGB" picture presets aren't always the same as a clamp), then there would be no practical way to calibrate it to sRGB, even with a meter, since it would still be in the DCI-P3 color space.

That said, I took a look, and apparently, an sRGB clamp was added to the MAG274QRF-QD in a firmware update at some point. The S2721DGF, however, does not have a clamp (and they never plan to add one: https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors ... 71#M131508).
Hmm i thought calibrating you would have the option to choose and have it set as one of the monitor profiles? Guess i was wrong about that. Guess thats another thing to consider. There was also the Samsung S27AG50 but apparently despite arriving in stores they are "sold out" so either i didnt notice and was slow or they aren't there yet.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 08 Dec 2021, 12:03

MajorFoley wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 11:30
Hmm i thought calibrating you would have the option to choose and have it set as one of the monitor profiles?
There's "color spaces," like sRGB, Rec. 709, DCI-P3, etc, and then there's calibrating within those color spaces. So basically, even if your monitor is in the sRGB color space, it can still need calibration. Same goes for any other color space.

The issue with a wide gamut monitor that doesn't have an sRGB clamp built-in, is that its color space targets entirely different color points far outside the sRGB range, so trying to calibrate it "down" usually isn't practical. Instead, calibrating a monitor with a native DCI-P3 color space would just make it more accurate for DCI-P3 content, not sRGB.

Here's a color triangle comparison of various color spaces, for reference:

Now, you can technically attempt to calibrate a wide gamut monitor to sRGB, but assuming the ICC profile generated ends up being at all accurate, you're then entirely reliant on said profile, which may not always be supported in all apps.

You can read more about sRGB on wide gamut monitors here:
https://pcmonitors.info/articles/taming ... emulation/

And finally, I found a thread on that same site specifically about the MAG and sRGB here:
https://forum.pcmonitors.info/topic/msi ... emulation/

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

MajorFoley

Post by MajorFoley » 09 Dec 2021, 10:53

Right thanks. Looks like its gonna be a tough decision to choose then. Considering im mostly gaming i might not bother with calibration at all. I do appreciate your time thank you :)

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 09 Dec 2021, 11:04

MajorFoley wrote:
09 Dec 2021, 10:53
No worries, and good luck!