XG27AQM vs. PG279QM

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
jorimt

Re: XG27AQM vs. PG279QM

Post by jorimt » 08 Jan 2022, 21:47

StarWarsCoffee wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 21:02
Also, I read some conversation where someone was saying that G-Sync compatible has much worse frame sync timing than true G-Sync module monitors.
There could be exceptions, but not in my personal experience; base G-SYNC Compatible functionality on my CX is entirely comparable to my native G-SYNC monitor, but then again, OLED doesn't need variable overdrive due to the fact that it has an effective 0ms GtG.

Again, the bigger difference is in the variable overdrive support on LCD monitors, and maybe LFC behavior on certain models with certain VRR ranges (to an extent).

Would I personally purchase a G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync LCD monitor over an otherwise equivalent LCD model with a G-SYNC module? No.

And as a G-SYNC "enthusiast," the glut of G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync monitors that have release the past few years over native G-SYNC display pains me a bit, as there's such a range of quality in the former, and it can misrepresent true G-SYNC more often than not for those that purchase the lower tier models, especially when they start having problems and blaming everything on (software-level) "G-SYNC," when it's more down to the specs and any limitations of the given FreeSync model, be it firmware, effective VRR range and adjoining LFC support, overdrive tuning decisions in VRR mode, lack of official G-SYNC Compatible Nvidia certification, etc.

Does that mean there's a huge, deal-breaking difference in all cases between the two? No.

Is the price increase of a native G-SYNC display justified? Depends on your priorities...

Hardware G-SYNC is technically superior to software G-SYNC and is less beholden to driver behavior, potential model-specific firmware issues, and sometimes even VRR flicker on certain LCDs (depending on the panel type), but again, generally, a higher-tier official G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync model, sans variable overdrive, is usually comparable enough to a native G-SYNC model for the majority of people that want to spend less while retaining VRR functionality.

So if you're the picky type, don't have serious budget constraints, and want the best possible "G-SYNC" experience, even if marginal in some people's estimation, I suggest a native G-SYNC display. However, if you're the type where that little extra percentage of difference doesn't matter to you, you want a fully adequate VRR experience, and you're on a tight budget or simply don't like the thought of spending that kind of money on a monitor, go with an official G-SYNC Compatible FreeSync display (especially in the cases it has any other non-G-SYNC-related features the native model doesn't; strobing ability, strobing type, refresh rate overclock, different or extra build or OSD features, etc).
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

StarWarsCoffee

Post by StarWarsCoffee » 08 Jan 2022, 23:44

To anyone who might stumble across this thread and want closure or wants to ask questions:

I ended up choosing the PG279QM.

teo

Post by teo » 09 Jan 2022, 12:57

StarWarsCoffee wrote:
08 Jan 2022, 23:44
To anyone who might stumble across this thread and want closure or wants to ask questions:

Once you’ve had some time to use it, I’d be curious to hear about your subjective experiences in motion clarity vs the modern 1080 panels that you’ve tried

StarWarsCoffee

Post by StarWarsCoffee » 09 Jan 2022, 22:42

teo wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 12:57
StarWarsCoffee wrote:

Once you’ve had some time to use it, I’d be curious to hear about your subjective experiences in motion clarity vs the modern 1080 panels that you’ve tried
I'll certainly report back. I'm curious of this myself. As someone who can't use strobing (headaches/fatigue) I'll be very interested to see what I think of the motion in their native forms.

StarWarsCoffee

Post by StarWarsCoffee » 12 Jan 2022, 21:54

teo wrote:
09 Jan 2022, 12:57
StarWarsCoffee wrote:

Monitor came in earlier in the afternoon and I've been playing Apex on it for about an hour. Hands down, this monitor is incredible. It's very, very good.

I can answer any other questions you have, but in terms of motion clarity, it feels a lot better than the AW2521H 360hz I was using for the last 3 weeks, and it's easily better than any of the other 240hz panels I used without strobing. I was surprised because I didn't expect to feel a difference, but there's just something about this monitor that feels really, really good.

Now, the XL2546K/XG2431 were more clear with strobing on obviously, but I often got double images with strobing on and it always gave me fatigue/headaches. Without strobing, this feels like the clearest and snappiest monitor I have ever used. I really didn't think I would notice much difference, but this monitor is incredibly impressive.

Other things incredible about this monitor:
- 27" 1440p feels enormous after you've been back on 24.5" 1080p for a while, but in a good way. I feel like I'm sitting in front of a small TV, but the picture quality and pixel density is an immense improvement.
- The colors on this monitor are unreal. I thought the colors seemed fine on my AW2521H, but Apex feels and looks like a next-generation game by comparison. The game just pops but not in a silly saturated kind of way, it just looks so, so good.
- Responsiveness. I knew this monitor was fast based on Hardware Unboxed and other tests, but this monitor feels so snappy. The AW2521H is also a very fast monitor, but this somehow just feels crispier.
- 1440p is so much more enjoyable to play games on. I thought I enjoyed going back to dual 1080p monitors, and I did for a while. But upgrading back to 1440p is that reminder of just how good 1440p actually is.

I know this monitor is expensive ($900) compared to the competition ($700), but I think the extra $200 is absolutely worth it. This is hands down the best 1440p monitor you can get, bar none.

Grasshopper24

Post by Grasshopper24 » 03 Jun 2022, 01:09

The PG279QM is currently $690 on Amazon if anyone is in the market for these monitors.

I purchased both the XG and the PG and ended up returning the XG.

PG has better motion handling without ELMB which I don’t really use due to the brightness reduction. The XG did also flicker randomly at the 270hz OC so the 2 main benefits of that monitor were useless to me.

Gsync with variable overdrive is also a game changer.

If you only play comp fps than I guess the XG may be better, but at that point you might as well get a 1080p 240hz and save money.

zepsy4x

Post by zepsy4x » 15 Jun 2022, 06:23

Hello,

Are you still happy with your PG279QM ?

jaderson22

Post by jaderson22 » 21 Jun 2022, 07:31

The XG27AQ is a bit more versatile for gaming, as it has an optional backlight strobing feature, commonly known as black frame insertion, which can improve the appearance of motion. On the other hand, the PG279QM is a bit better for HDR, as it's brighter and can display a wider color gamut. Best of luck. Hope so now you understand!

Grasshopper24

Post by Grasshopper24 » 27 Jun 2022, 20:35

jaderson22 wrote:
21 Jun 2022, 07:31
The XG27AQ is a bit more versatile for gaming, as it has an optional backlight strobing feature, commonly known as black frame insertion, which can improve the appearance of motion. On the other hand, the PG279QM is a bit better for HDR, as it's brighter and can display a wider color gamut. Best of luck. Hope so now you understand!
If you ONLY play comp fps games, then get the XG. If you play a variety of games, get the PG. As someone that purchased both and kept the PG, I have to say the PG is the better all - around monitor.
The strobing mode on the XG destroys the brightness to where its only usable in a completely dark room. The PG279qm probably has the best IPS panel when it comes to ghosting/image clarity. Its so good that I havent been able to go back to the acer 390hz.