Asus VG259Q vs VG245

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
viyosaqu

Asus VG259Q vs VG245

Post by viyosaqu » 16 Jan 2022, 23:55

Hey guys,
Maybe you can help me. I will start by admitting that I know nothing about colors/gamma/sharpness/contrast etc. You will ask me what any of that means on a monitor and I wouldn't be able to answer. I just go by what I am used to.
So I work from home and run a double monitor set up. Most of the time my pc is used for work (80%) and I game around 20% of the time. I used to have an Asus VG245 a 75Hz "gaming" monitor I picked up like 5 years ago as main one and another Asus monitor the model I don't even know (some regular 60hz monitor) as a side one. I decided to upgrade the old monitor by basically buying a 144Hz one and putting VG245 as my side monitor. I chose VG259Q due to the fact that this is Asus and both monitors will look identical side by side, but VG259Q will be far better for gaming (especially CSGO).
Now the monitor comes in, I hook it up via DP and turn it on. Put it with my trusty VG245 side by side and the colors/gamma/contrast are just off. Like I don't know how to describe it as I am horrible with knowing what means what. To me everything just looks way darker and brighter at the same time. Like black is more black, orange is more orange, yellow is more yellow etc. It's too freaking sharp comparing to my old VG245. Like it's not natural. Everything has too much "pop". Mind you, both monitors had exactly identical presets and settings in terms of everything as they have exactly identical menu etc. Its pretty much the same monitor, but one is twice as more expensive than the other. So I started playing with settings on VG259Q and no matter what I'd do, I cannot match VG259Q to what I used to have on VG245. All I can describe it by is that it is just "too dark". To showcase it better i made few comparison photos. I hope you like dogs.

https://imgur.com/a/B4I3nRZ

There are two photos, scroll down for the second one
Left is my new monitor and right is an old one. I hope you see what I mean. The difference is so startling that I am not sure if it's just me being whiny and not understanding what I am talking about (ie VG259Q being better), but I am just so used to sort of calmer colors of my old Asus, that I find new monitor distracting. Even just working (typing, reading numbers) on a new monitor gives me some sensory issues as everything is just to sharp and dark at the same time. Like I am getting eye floaters. Even reddit on an old monitor has just a nice white background, on a new one its this greyish/bluish sort of glowing thing. What should I do?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Asus VG259Q vs VG245

Post by RealNC » 17 Jan 2022, 06:45

Change the gamma setting and the color temperature setting. Those are the main two settings. If you want to the left one to look closer to the right one, lower the gamma and raise the temperature.

If there is no color temperature setting (sometimes called "white balance"), then you need to do it manually by changing the red, green and blue color saturation values. Most monitors have that. To raise the color temperature, lower the red value and/or raise the blue value.

As for the gamma setting, if there is no such setting in the monitor's OSD, then you can't do it from the monitor's side. You'd need to do it from your graphics card driver side, and I'm not sure how well that works with multi-monitor setups.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.