FPS fluctuating too much

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
NIghtcorey

FPS fluctuating too much

Post by NIghtcorey » 17 Jan 2022, 07:46

Hey guys,

Well, it seems I am back on this Forums, as I loved the G-Sync series research articles and I believe i could get good info here.

My problem is that whenever I play game like Valorant (Multiplayer, FPS Shooter game), my FPS fluctuate really by a lot (180-300 FPS). And I believe I should be able to hold steady 300 FPS with following settings and my HW:

MY HW:
- i9-9900K
- RTX 2080
- 16 GB RAM (3200 Hz speed)
- 1 TB NVMe (Samsung)
- Monitor: Alienware 240 Hz (1080p)

My Valorant Settings:
- FPS cap to 300
- All Graphic settings are set to LOW
- They have option for Multi-Threaded Rendering, which I set to ON
- They have option for NVIDIA Reflex (Low Latency) which I set to ON (there's an option to also ON + Boost, but I do not set that)
- I have also set all NVIDIA Control Panel settings to OFF / LOW whever possible, and PREFFER MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE

Results are: FPS fluctuates between 180-300 FPS. Benchmarks show that with this config I shuold be able to hit 500 or more. But I'd like at least 300 or something above 240, to match my monitor refresh rate.

Here are some HW Stats after playing Deathmatch (most demanding Game Mode where FPS is expected to be lower):

LINK: https://ibb.co/fqbSmTH

From what I can at least understand is, to me it looks like GPU and CPU are not well utilized during gameplay? GPU was mostl 0-1% and CPU cca 20%.

Does anyone have any ideas what else could I try?

Thank you.