AW3423DW officially available for everyone at dell website

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
namcost

AW3423DW officially available for everyone at dell website

Post by namcost » 09 Mar 2022, 01:33

Dell.com get yours while you can.

On that note, when mine comes in ill come back to this page to submit my pixel response testing results.

EDIT: Update with Official Link for ease of viewing specs and information. Again will update with pixel response testing when it comes in and I test it.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/alienwa ... ccessories

rootsoft

Re: AW3423DW officially available for everyone at dell website

Post by rootsoft » 11 Mar 2022, 10:20

Let us know!

namcost

Post by namcost » 11 Mar 2022, 15:46

Shipping got delayed for a lot of people. So I got pushed back to April 27th shipping... Kinda shit but shit happens. Still going to do pixel response times but wont be able to until much later than I hoped.

rootsoft

Post by rootsoft » 11 Mar 2022, 18:51

namcost wrote:
11 Mar 2022, 15:46
Shipping got delayed for a lot of people. So I got pushed back to April 27th shipping... Kinda shit but shit happens. Still going to do pixel response times but wont be able to until much later than I hoped.

Let us know if they update your shipping.

namcost

Post by namcost » 07 May 2022, 00:51

Shipping update! Monitor should be here in a few days. And as soon as I get it, I am digging into pixel response testing at 8bit 175hz to see what is up! Can't wait.

namcost

Post by namcost » 09 May 2022, 15:42

Update. Have the display. And holy shit. It's pretty amazing. Firstly I want to talk about a few lies.

Firstly, there is no ABL. ABL stands for Auto Brightness Limiter. This display does not have it. I can make a white window literally any size, and the brightness never changes. Anyone claiming there is ABL is lying. I also have the HDR set to the 1000 mode instead of the 400TB mode. And there is no change in brightness. The window small is the same brightness as the window big. Verified by my x-rite iDisplay Pro colorimeter. No change! EDIT: Guess I need to clarify because dumbasses are getting confused. You can change HDR setting on the monitor while windows is in SDR mode. The ABL doesn't exist in SDR mode as it should be. ABL is HDR only. A lot of youtubers were saying in SDR mode ABL was there, and it's not. Its HDR only.

Secondly, the text. All these wimps online crying about supposed fringing. THERE IS NO FRINGING. The text is literally perfect. Even putting my face literally flat against the screen I cannot see any fringing. Its fake news!

Am about to start pixel response testing. Lets see how this puppy purrs.
Last edited by namcost on 14 May 2022, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

namcost

Post by namcost » 09 May 2022, 16:57

Okay let's kick this puppy off right. I am gobsmacked at the pixel response performance. Just absolutely insane fast.... I am starting to think the tools being used by other reviewers simply aren't fast enough for OLED displays. WHY? Because my results are so vastly different than theirs.

To remind people, I am using an ThorLabs SM05PD3A which according to their spec sheet states 15ns rise/fall time. Which is 0.015 microsecond or 0.000015 milliseconds.... so yeah, its freaking fast. On top of that I am using a PicoScope 2204A USB Oscilloscope. The oscilloscope was set to 12bits for data collection. I also calculated the response time myself. I found each point, start and stop, for each transition. I then subtracted the two times together to get the pixel response time. These are FULL 0-100 pixel response times. No 10-90 bullcrap. No 3-97 bullcrap. And thus no need for "gamma correction". These full pixel response times ALSO INCLUDE any overshoot, which there is a little, but even with overshoot its INSANELY fast. I think it's time for these other reviewers to update their equipment. Clearly whatever they are using is too damn slow. And if they automate the process, it's probably glitching out due to various reasons (like flickering light as OLED's tend to do. or piss poor programming). End of the day, my results are amazing!

https://imgur.com/a/3H2BGRH

And there they are. My results. I ran 3 tests for each one and took the average of those tests. With this data, we have a lowest value of 0.1ms and a highest value of 0.8ms. The average is 0.35ms.... insanely fast display. I don't care what your favorite reviewer has claimed or will claim. These results are legit. Period. If you don't believe me then don't, you are the one missing out on a godly display.

Take it or leave it. Believe me or don't. I honestly don't care. I took a lot of time to do this and rechecked my results. Not to mention as I stated each test was run 3 times. These were my results. Grain of salt if you want. But it is what it is.

namcost

Post by namcost » 09 May 2022, 17:00

Ignore the error on the 80-80.... I just misclicked and didn't pay attention ROFL

Inco^

Post by Inco^ » 09 May 2022, 17:20

Thanks so much for your work!
Do you play competitive shooters and do you think this monitor is better than current top 240Hz/360Hz TN/IPS monitors to the task?
PG248QP - XL2566K - XV252Q F - PG259QN - XL2546K - Y27gq-25 - AG251FZ - LaCie Electron 22 Blue IV

namcost

Post by namcost » 09 May 2022, 18:12

Inco^ wrote:
09 May 2022, 17:20
Thanks so much for your work!
Do you play competitive shooters and do you think this monitor is better than current top 240Hz/360Hz TN/IPS monitors to the task?
I do in fact play competitive shooters. Comparing the AW3423DW to three other displays? Alienware AW2418HF (240hz 1080p TN panel) ViewSonic XG2431 (1080p 240hz IPS) and Samsung CHG70 (1440p 144hz VA) I can honestly say, the AW3423DW beats all of them in speed. Basically because the pixels are so freaking fast, the change is damn near instant. So when someone in CS:GO for example comes around the corner, I can feel its faster. And because I am still used to my older displays, my response time is slow! I have to get used to how fast the display feels!

On the note of refresh rate matched with pixel response in terms of motion clarity, from my own "perception" the 175hz mode of the AW3423DW feels way better than any of those other displays. The ViewSonic isn't bad, but even with BFI enabled on the ViewSonic (pureXP, black frame insertion, aka flicker backlight) the Alienware still feels smoother! The clarity to me is unrivaled. I would 100% use the display for competitive gaming. And I have. I played two matches of CS:GO one match on mirage and one on inferno. And its pretty amazing. I figure it will take me a solid week to adjust to the new speed. My reaction time needs to adjust to seeing things earlier than I expect to see them.

TL:DR yes, its amazing for competitive gaming. Its by far the best display I have ever used besides a quality CRT....