AW3423DW officially available for everyone at dell website

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
rootsoft

Re: AW3423DW officially available for everyone at dell website

Post by rootsoft » 09 May 2022, 23:57

namcost wrote:
09 May 2022, 18:12
Inco^ wrote:
09 May 2022, 17:20
Thanks so much for your work!
Do you play competitive shooters and do you think this monitor is better than current top 240Hz/360Hz TN/IPS monitors to the task?
I do in fact play competitive shooters. Comparing the AW3423DW to three other displays? Alienware AW2418HF (240hz 1080p TN panel) ViewSonic XG2431 (1080p 240hz IPS) and Samsung CHG70 (1440p 144hz VA) I can honestly say, the AW3423DW beats all of them in speed. Basically because the pixels are so freaking fast, the change is damn near instant. So when someone in CS:GO for example comes around the corner, I can feel its faster. And because I am still used to my older displays, my response time is slow! I have to get used to how fast the display feels!

On the note of refresh rate matched with pixel response in terms of motion clarity, from my own "perception" the 175hz mode of the AW3423DW feels way better than any of those other displays. The ViewSonic isn't bad, but even with BFI enabled on the ViewSonic (pureXP, black frame insertion, aka flicker backlight) the Alienware still feels smoother! The clarity to me is unrivaled. I would 100% use the display for competitive gaming. And I have. I played two matches of CS:GO one match on mirage and one on inferno. And its pretty amazing. I figure it will take me a solid week to adjust to the new speed. My reaction time needs to adjust to seeing things earlier than I expect to see them.

TL:DR yes, its amazing for competitive gaming. Its by far the best display I have ever used besides a quality CRT....
Awesome! I would like to hear from others if they feel the same way

Boop

Post by Boop » 10 May 2022, 00:45

• AW3423DW VSYNC OFF, GSYNC OFF, Uncapped FPS, did not feel as smooth as GSYNC ON for competitive FPS games. I assume it's caused by the large screen size, 175Hz, and screen tearing with a near zero pixel response time. If I played a game with 1000fps (Quake, Diabotical) it felt very smooth, but a game near 175-300fps felt like a downgrade compared to GSYNC ON.
  • XG2431 240Hz with VSYNC OFF, PureXP Normal, Uncapped FPS, feels much smoother to me and easier to see targets.
  • AW2521H 360Hz with VSYNC OFF, Uncapped FPS, feels smoothest but blurry compared to the others without ULMB turned on.
The AW3423DW is a treat for casual gaming but I prefer the XG2431 for competitive shooters. I'm looking forward to future QD-OLED displays with BFI/Strobing and 240Hz+ refresh rate.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 13 May 2022, 14:52

How come a monitor with such a fast pixel response time doesn't have motion blur reduction strobing tech built into it?
Blur reduction would be so good on this monitor that it would qualify for Chief's 3.0 certification, which doesn't even exist yet!

namcost

Post by namcost » 13 May 2022, 15:41

Falkentyne wrote:
13 May 2022, 14:52
How come a monitor with such a fast pixel response time doesn't have motion blur reduction strobing tech built into it?
Blur reduction would be so good on this monitor that it would qualify for Chief's 3.0 certification, which doesn't even exist yet!
His certification doesn't mean much.... He isn't big enough yet. Which is why only low end brands like ViewSonic have worked with him (so far). But I do agree, they should 100% have included a black frame insertion mode. I have actually emailed/chatted every source I know to ask Dell/Alienware to update the firmware down the road to add black frame insertion. Hopefully they take that to heart but they will probably just ignore me. I know a lot of people cry "but BFI reduces brightness" to me its a non issue. I would rather have insane motion clarity. Funny thing though, G-Sync has the option for BFI certification.... but I am guessing it wasn't used simply because Nvidia only used their tech with flicker backlight and not an OLED aka per pixel lighting. So Nvidia may never have made a preset mode for OLED yet.... which also might explain why HDMI 2.1 didn't get pushed either. I really hope down the line Dell/Alienware updates firmware. Totally worth it imo.

Tom Clancy's E-sport

Post by Tom Clancy's E-sport » 14 May 2022, 11:21

Boop wrote:
10 May 2022, 00:45
  • AW3423DW VSYNC OFF, GSYNC OFF, Uncapped FPS, did not feel as smooth as GSYNC ON for competitive FPS games. I assume it's caused by the large screen size, 175Hz, and screen tearing with a near zero pixel response time. If I played a game with 1000fps (Quake, Diabotical) it felt very smooth, but a game near 175-300fps felt like a downgrade compared to GSYNC ON.
  • XG2431 240Hz with VSYNC OFF, PureXP Normal, Uncapped FPS, feels much smoother to me and easier to see targets.
  • AW2521H 360Hz with VSYNC OFF, Uncapped FPS, feels smoothest but blurry compared to the others without ULMB turned on.
The AW3423DW is a treat for casual gaming but I prefer the XG2431 for competitive shooters. I'm looking forward to future QD-OLED displays with BFI/Strobing and 240Hz+ refresh rate.
After dealing with AW3423DW for several weeks, I cannot do the same effective 180° shot in games with it. Some reasons that make it slower than Zowie monitors out there are due to the higher input lag, longer GPU rendering time, lower refresh rate.

The conclusion is AW3423DW is good as a casual monitor but not a snappy competitive monitor. Another issue is the brightness is quite low. It's kind of hard to believe 2017 Zowie XL2546 with strobe displays a smoother, brighter image than AW3423DW.

namcost

Post by namcost » 14 May 2022, 12:02

Tom Clancy's E-sport wrote:
14 May 2022, 11:21
higher input lag, longer GPU rendering time, lower refresh rate.

The conclusion is AW3423DW is good as a casual monitor but not a snappy competitive monitor. Another issue is the brightness is quite low. It's kind of hard to believe 2017 Zowie XL2546 with strobe displays a smoother, brighter image than AW3423DW.
Firstly, the HUB review for input lag is bullshit. They make those numbers up. Ask me how I know. Because they claim a processing lag of 4.7ms, processing plus refresh rate lag of 7.6ms, and processing lag plus refresh lag plus response time of 9.1ms.... TWO of these numbers I know for a fact. At 175hz refresh rate lag would be 5.71ms because 1000/175hz=5.71ms. According to HUB and their absolute LIE of information, they are claiming refresh rate lag of 2.9ms (4.7ms minus 7.6ms = 2.9ms). that 2.9ms would be akin to 344.82hz.... we both know the alienware is not capable of that fast of a response time as its hard limit is 5.71ms aka 175hz. So they lie there. I have also done full 0-100 pixel response testing which I posted my graph in this very thread I started. I get sub 1ms response times. Now hub did average out to 1.5ms earlier in the video, and sure enough 7.6ms minus 9.1ms = 1.5ms. So they at least were honest about that. But their refresh rate lag does not make ANY logical sense. In fact I went through a few monitors in that list based on refresh rate and ALL OF THEM are rated faster refresh rate wise than they are actually capable of. The LG C1 was rated 0.5ms input lag (lie) and 4.7ms input lag + refresh rate. That's another flat out lie as refresh rate lag for a 120hz display is 8.33ms. Which is basically double the rating HUB gives.... and we all know the LG televisions have AT LEAST 6ms input lag when gaming. HUB does nothing but lie to people with their made up bullshit results. The only input lag results I will believe is usually TFTcentral, sometimes RTINGs depending on how different they are vs TFTcentral reviews. They are more trustworthy than Hardware Unboxed.

With that in mind, your issue with the display should not be input lag or processing lag. As an actual competitive gamer who is high ranked in every FPS I play (global elite in cs:go for example) I have had little to no issue adapting to the new display. I went from a 240hz 5ms average display to the AW3423DW which is 175hz and <1ms. Both displays are on par in terms of visual fidelity. There is literally zero input lag difference from other top end gaming monitors and processing lag is a lie as that is a cpu bound item and cannot be read unless you have nvidia ldat and even then everything you plug into your pc has to certified for ldat. which means a handful of mice, only nvidia monitors, etc. And HUB gives cpu time from non nvidia displays. last I checked LDAT wont even let you use it unless the display is nvidia. so they can't check freesync displays at all. more lies from HUB.

In fact, you mention the Zowie XL2546.... I don't own that display, but i can just check RTINGs review for pixel response. They give 7.6ms on "to white" average and 5.7ms on the "to dark" average for the best possible the display is capable of (aka with minimum overshoot or no overshoot). Combining the two you get a total average of 6.65ms which is just about right for all TN and modern IPS displays. 6.65ms correlates to a visual fidelity of 150hz average. YES, with black frame insertion enabled, you can get higher visual fidelity. And that is the true kicker. You are comparing a non flicker display (aw3423dw) vs a flicker display. That is the ONLY reason your older display "feels" better. In reality, that flicker backlight isn't giving you any performance benefit for "reaction time" nor turning 180 degrees to snap a kill. That is all on you. More than likely the UW visual field is throwing you off and you have not gotten used to it yet.

Tom Clancy's E-sport

Post by Tom Clancy's E-sport » 14 May 2022, 12:59

namcost wrote:
14 May 2022, 12:02
As stated before, I cannot do the same effective 180° shot in games with AW3423DW. This is not a problem with XL2546/XL2546s with or without strobe light. In comparison, AW3423DW is not smoother moving the image around.

Different reviews or their numbers differentiate. Maybe their test methods are different. It is not a concern after getting the monitor.

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy » 14 May 2022, 16:23

namcost wrote:
13 May 2022, 15:41

His certification doesn't mean much.... He isn't big enough yet. Which is why only low end brands like ViewSonic have worked with him (so far).
He's worked with Nvidia, Microsoft etc.
Show some respect, punk.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 15 May 2022, 11:21

thatoneguy wrote:
14 May 2022, 16:23
punk
Warning given for obvious reason.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

greenenemy

Post by greenenemy » 16 May 2022, 05:55

namcost wrote:
14 May 2022, 12:02

Firstly, the HUB review for input lag is bullshit. They make those numbers up. Ask me how I know. Because they claim a processing lag of 4.7ms, processing plus refresh rate lag of 7.6ms, and processing lag plus refresh lag plus response time of 9.1ms.... TWO of these numbers I know for a fact. At 175hz refresh rate lag would be 5.71ms because 1000/175hz=5.71ms. According to HUB and their absolute LIE of information, they are claiming refresh rate lag of 2.9ms (4.7ms minus 7.6ms = 2.9ms). that 2.9ms would be akin to 344.82hz.... we both know the alienware is not capable of that fast of a response time as its hard limit is 5.71ms aka 175hz. So they lie there. I have also done full 0-100 pixel response testing which I posted my graph in this very thread I started. I get sub 1ms response times. Now hub did average out to 1.5ms earlier in the video, and sure enough 7.6ms minus 9.1ms = 1.5ms. So they at least were honest about that. But their refresh rate lag does not make ANY logical sense. In fact I went through a few monitors in that list based on refresh rate and ALL OF THEM are rated faster refresh rate wise than they are actually capable of. The LG C1 was rated 0.5ms input lag (lie) and 4.7ms input lag + refresh rate. That's another flat out lie as refresh rate lag for a 120hz display is 8.33ms. Which is basically double the rating HUB gives.... and we all know the LG televisions have AT LEAST 6ms input lag when gaming. HUB does nothing but lie to people with their made up bullshit results. The only input lag results I will believe is usually TFTcentral, sometimes RTINGs depending on how different they are vs TFTcentral reviews. They are more trustworthy than Hardware Unboxed.
HUB is right with their refresh rate lag. When a frame is being displayed for example on 120hz screen you get 0ms at the start and 8.33 at the end so obviously average lag is 4.16ms.