Alienware 34 QD-OLED UFO Test

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
Boop

Re: Alienware 34 QD-OLED UFO Test

Post by Boop » 28 Mar 2022, 03:42

This is my first OLED display and being forced to play 16:9 or 4:3 in some games is still a treat because the black bars are completely black. I just pull the monitor closer in games that don't support 21:9 and feel like I'm back on a native 16:9 or 4:3 monitor.

As far as early adopter issues, I will say that the fan noise is noticeable when in a quiet room. I've read that it's a fan for the gsync module and it seems to always be running for me. I hope they figure out how to make it passive cooled in the future.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 28 Mar 2022, 08:15

jnashville wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 03:21
So its best to wait for other companies to come onto the bandwagon for more better optimisations, features and maybe lower price points?
It's best to wait until you feel it has no deal-breakers for you (or at least not too many).

Assuming OLED continues to gain traction in the gaming monitor market, there will be iterative improvements, more variety in panel size/type, and, ultimately, lower price points.
Boop wrote:
28 Mar 2022, 03:42
As far as early adopter issues, I will say that the fan noise is noticeable when in a quiet room. I've read that it's a fan for the gsync module and it seems to always be running for me. I hope they figure out how to make it passive cooled in the future.
I believe the fan is primarily there to allow for increased sustained peak HDR brightness, avoid obvious ABL (auto brightness limiting), and help prevent temporary image retention. The cooler an OLED panel stays, the more they can push brightness output, while avoiding negative effects.

The few HDR-capable LCD gaming monitors available also have fans (HDR brightness levels can generate a lot of heat).
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

ziocomposite

Post by ziocomposite » 29 Mar 2022, 11:43

Just curious, so far I have yet to seen anyone run input lag test with the native resolution. Wondering if anyone else has found one yet.

Anyone else with the panel able to force 2560x1440p resolution? Seems like it runs 3440x1440p as "Active Signal Resolution"

jani80k

Post by jani80k » 22 Jun 2022, 08:49

Does anyone know whether there is a downside to using this monitor with a Radeon 6900 XT?
I need to upgrade my GPU for this monitor and it seems that this GPU offers the best price/performance at the moment for this kind of resolution.
Does this monitor running Freesync have more input lag than running it with G-Sync?
AW_FS.com.png
AW_FS.com.png (31.65 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
It should work according to RTINGS - am I overlooking anything?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Jun 2022, 16:28

jani80k wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 08:49
Does this monitor running Freesync have more input lag than running it with G-Sync?
FreeSync and "G-SYNC Compatible" is identical at the signal layer, as they are both the respective AMD/NVIDIA certifications of generic VESA Adaptive-Sync. So I would presume no difference.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jani80k

Post by jani80k » 25 Jun 2022, 05:00

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 16:28
jani80k wrote:
FreeSync and "G-SYNC Compatible" is identical at the signal layer, as they are both the respective AMD/NVIDIA certifications of generic VESA Adaptive-Sync. So I would presume no difference.
Thanks for your reply. Does this also work 100% the other way round?
In this case we have gsync native and freesync compatible.

This person confirmed hdr+fs works, but do the low latency features etc. of fs premium pro also work?
unknown-18.png
unknown-18.png (27 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
Screenshot_20220625-115353_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220625-115353_Chrome.jpg (151.64 KiB) Viewed 2260 times

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jun 2022, 14:53

jani80k wrote:
25 Jun 2022, 05:00
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
23 Jun 2022, 16:28
jani80k wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Does this also work 100% the other way round?
In this case we have gsync native and freesync compatible.

This person confirmed hdr+fs works, but do the low latency features etc. of fs premium pro also work?
Today, things have changed somewhat...

The premium features of G-SYNC and FreeSync are often specific to each vendor. Past G-SYNC native monitors could never work with FreeSync, but this is no longer true -- G-SYNC native chipped monitors of certain new monitor models now work with FreeSync on AMD cards...

G-SYNC native used to be fully incompatible with AMD cards, but this kind of changed in newer models of monitors with newer GPUs -- where several G-SYNC native models works in FreeSync compatible mode that works with AMD. So it's not as simple as it used to be to explain G-SYNC and FreeSync cross-compatibility. They are now more compatible with each other than they used to be, but not universally.

It's best when the monitor manufacturer sends the monitor to both NVIDIA and AMD to get certified by both, then you're assured of performance both ways -- premium G-SYNC and premium FreeSync in the same model is now possible if the monitor manufacturer pays both NVIDIA and AMD for all that extra work. However, this is not available in all models (Premium FreeSync may be some less-good G-SYNC Compatible mode, and one of the better G-SYNC / G-SYNC Ultimate certifications may provide some less-good FreeSync mode).

So it's a "depends on the model" thing nowadays. Look closely at the spec sheet and verify compatibility -- it may be bidirectional premium compatibility, or it might be premium/ultimate/enhanced only on one or other.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!