Alienware 34 QD-OLED UFO Test

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
KuraiShidosha

Re: Alienware 34 QD-OLED UFO Test

Post by KuraiShidosha » 24 Mar 2022, 18:11

Can you guys with this monitor please try the software BFI tool a user created here on the forums?
Here's a link to the thread when he made it: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5625
And here's the github page for his tool: https://github.com/squeaksci/desktopbfi/releases

It's as simple as run the exe and it'll make every other frame being sent to the desktop, black. Ideally you'll want to display half-refresh rate content then to match the timings with perfect fluidity. Any game or program must be run in some form of windowed mode, borderless or FSO should work. I'm really eager to hear how this screen handles it because it'll be a deciding factor for me whether I want to get one or not. Thanks.

Boop

Post by Boop » 24 Mar 2022, 21:50

I haven't used that tool but I did take pictures of the UFO BFI test. Maybe someone else can take better pictures for you.

https://www.testufo.com/blackframes
Attachments
ufo_bfi_test.PNG
ufo_bfi_test.PNG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 4516 times

KuraiShidosha

Post by KuraiShidosha » 24 Mar 2022, 22:25

Do those pics represent how it looks to your eyes? I'm hoping it's just poor pic quality because that doesn't look nearly as sharp as I was expecting. Hopefully we can see some more accurate photos with BFI to get a better idea but I do appreciate you trying.

Boop

Post by Boop » 24 Mar 2022, 23:22

From a distance it looks great but up close you can tell it's not sharp.

C.Y

Post by C.Y » 25 Mar 2022, 03:23

Does anyone think they will produce this in a 32” variant ? Probably doesn’t make sense business wise as the sheet it’s cut from will have wastage …. But I’m looking for the height

jnashville

Post by jnashville » 27 Mar 2022, 19:57

i cant but help that it seems this monitor has more input lag then other esports monitors?

Then whats the point of paying such a high premium when the input lag is higher?

Boop

Post by Boop » 27 Mar 2022, 20:38

jnashville wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 19:57
i cant but help that it seems this monitor has more input lag then other esports monitors?

Then whats the point of paying such a high premium when the input lag is higher?
All around it's a great monitor. If you're worried about input lag, see if you can even tell the difference. Try out the Latency Split Test - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9675

jnashville

Post by jnashville » 27 Mar 2022, 20:43

Boop wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:38
jnashville wrote:

All around it's a great monitor. If you're worried about input lag, see if you can even tell the difference. Try out the Latency Split Test - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9675
i see.. hmm oh well.

but i thought OLED has the most responsive response time.. so why does the input lag seems slower than TN?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 27 Mar 2022, 20:58

jnashville wrote:

We've had mainstream LCD-type gaming monitors for years and years now, and as such, they've had a considerable amount of time to mature.

This is the first true dedicated OLED gaming monitor (QD-type to boot), and at a relatively affordable price for cutting edge panel tech. It's honestly a wonder it doesn't have more deal-breakers; early adoption, mixed bag. Happens the first couple generations of any new technology.

If not enough people buy it, it's not marketable, and if it's not marketable, there's no iteration, and with no iteration, there's no improvement, so for those of us that are holding out for a more mature version of this product, we better hope there is enough early adoption to allow for iteration of future models to achieve what some of us might find lacking in this first attempt (aka, higher latency, VRR flicker, lack of strobing, sub-4k-res, mandatory ultrawide w/curvature, one screen size, etc).
jnashville wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:43
i see.. hmm oh well.

but i thought OLED has the most responsive response time.. so why does the input lag seems slower than TN?
Pixel response time does not = processing latency, which can depend on firmware implementation, among other things.

And again, OLED gaming monitors are in their infancy, so just because LCD gaming monitors have achieved certain advancements, doesn't mean said advancements can automatically be transferred over to this new tech in every aspect right out-of-the-gate. In many ways, they have to start all over, so certain aspects may take time to catch up.

In the meantime, the contrast ratio, pixel response time, and viewing angles (and, to a point, the color reproduction and overall HDR impact) of this panel type are far superior to any LCD gaming monitor (edge-lit or FALD) on the market.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

jnashville

Post by jnashville » 28 Mar 2022, 03:21

jorimt wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:58
jnashville wrote:

We've had mainstream LCD-type gaming monitors for years and years now, and as such, they've had a considerable amount of time to mature.

This is the first true dedicated OLED gaming monitor (QD-type to boot), and at a relatively affordable price for cutting edge panel tech. It's honestly a wonder it doesn't have more deal-breakers; early adoption, mixed bag. Happens the first couple generations of any new technology.

If not enough people buy it, it's not marketable, and if it's not marketable, there's no iteration, and with no iteration, there's no improvement, so for those of us that are holding out for a more mature version of this product, we better hope there is enough early adoption to allow for iteration of future models to achieve what some of us might find lacking in this first attempt (aka, higher latency, VRR flicker, lack of strobing, sub-4k-res, mandatory ultrawide w/curvature, one screen size, etc).
jnashville wrote:
27 Mar 2022, 20:43
i see.. hmm oh well.

Pixel response time does not = processing latency, which can depend on firmware implementation, among other things.

And again, OLED gaming monitors are in their infancy, so just because LCD gaming monitors have achieved certain advancements, doesn't mean said advancements can automatically be transferred over to this new tech in every aspect right out-of-the-gate. In many ways, they have to start all over, so certain aspects may take time to catch up.

In the meantime, the contrast ratio, pixel response time, and viewing angles (and, to a point, the color reproduction and overall HDR impact) of this panel type are far superior to any LCD gaming monitor (edge-lit or FALD) on the market.
True...

So its best to wait for other companies to come onto the bandwagon for more better optimisations, features and maybe lower price points?