Turbo Smooth FPS Gameplay in Apex Legends?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
peak

Turbo Smooth FPS Gameplay in Apex Legends?

Post by peak » 24 Apr 2022, 14:39

Last few months I've been struggling with finding the right set-up to smooth out my gameplay in Apex Legends. I'm a successful Counter-Strike coach, peaked at top 500 in EU and I've done relatively well with figuring out what works best for CS:GO in terms of competitive performance.

I'm currently using an XL2546, an RTX 3060, Ryzen 5600X with 3600mhz cl18 32gb RAM. Naturally due to preference everything is set to low, my PC is freshly reformated, the bios is relatively default and up to date apart from Resizeable BAR, DOCP/XMP on an ASUS ROG STRIX B550 motherboard.

I usually get re-routed to the Blur Busters forums where I've tried my hardest to do some extensive reading on the topic of smoothness.
Apex Legends is a different animal when it comes to finding smooth gameplay, so I was hoping to extend my expertise here.

I've messed around with the Strobe Utility with no luck, RTSS seems obsolete these days and for some reason worse than default 240 fps cap ingame, Nvidia Control Panel settings are relatively default as is Windows 10 apart from minor performance tweaks I know to be safe.

I'll do some edits later on to share what I've found to be successful for me, but I just wanted to stop by and check with the community to see if there's anything I can learn. And a bonus question would be - Is a monitor upgrade from the XL2546 reasonable or should I wait for the new monitors supposedly releasing in a bit? Looking for the competitive edge, and smooth gameplay with minimal input lag for Apex Legends is crucial.

Many thanks in advance, I'll gladly share my findings so far should anyone be interested.

Silver

Re: Turbo Smooth FPS Gameplay in Apex Legends?

Post by Silver » 31 May 2022, 08:34

Past 179 FPS, game engine and optimization issues start to take place in Apex Legends, so it is recommended to cap your FPS at 180, though values between 170-180 might also be worth testing. You'll want to go into Nvidia control panel and create a custom resolution that is 1080p at 180Hz so that you can match your FPS to your Refresh rate for improved clarity. Beyond that, I would try using Nvidia's Low Latency settings if you have enough horsepower to spare.

RestTarRr

Post by RestTarRr » 02 Jun 2022, 04:57

Matching the hz to the 180fps has pros and cons. You'll get slightly better clarity because of no tearing but you'd also get worse input lag which he seems to care about because that's one of the things he wants in a monitor upgrade. Personally at that high fps and refresh rate I don't have an issue with slight tearing and would definitely take the extra refresh cycles which make the game feel smoother and snappier.

Dorian

Post by Dorian » 02 Jun 2022, 05:33

peak wrote:
24 Apr 2022, 14:39
Last few months I've been struggling with finding the right set-up to smooth out my gameplay in Apex Legends. I'm a successful Counter-Strike coach, peaked at top 500 in EU and I've done relatively well with figuring out what works best for CS:GO in terms of competitive performance.

I'm currently using an XL2546, an RTX 3060, Ryzen 5600X with 3600mhz cl18 32gb RAM. Naturally due to preference everything is set to low, my PC is freshly reformated, the bios is relatively default and up to date apart from Resizeable BAR, DOCP/XMP on an ASUS ROG STRIX B550 motherboard.

I usually get re-routed to the Blur Busters forums where I've tried my hardest to do some extensive reading on the topic of smoothness.
Apex Legends is a different animal when it comes to finding smooth gameplay, so I was hoping to extend my expertise here.

I've messed around with the Strobe Utility with no luck, RTSS seems obsolete these days and for some reason worse than default 240 fps cap ingame, Nvidia Control Panel settings are relatively default as is Windows 10 apart from minor performance tweaks I know to be safe.

I'll do some edits later on to share what I've found to be successful for me, but I just wanted to stop by and check with the community to see if there's anything I can learn. And a bonus question would be - Is a monitor upgrade from the XL2546 reasonable or should I wait for the new monitors supposedly releasing in a bit? Looking for the competitive edge, and smooth gameplay with minimal input lag for Apex Legends is crucial.

Many thanks in advance, I'll gladly share my findings so far should anyone be interested.
Hello! Unfortunately, I have nothing to advise you, I also play apex and strive to improve my gameplay. So yes, I will be happy to track this topic and if you share your findings, it will at least be useful to one more player)

peak

Post by peak » 25 Nov 2022, 07:17

Dorian wrote:
02 Jun 2022, 05:33
Hello! Unfortunately, I have nothing to advise you, I also play apex and strive to improve my gameplay. So yes, I will be happy to track this topic and if you share your findings, it will at least be useful to one more player)
Sorry forgot I wasn't logged in, regardless I've found that AMD's CPU lineups might actually not be amazing. This is an extremely unpopular opinion when you reach the outsides of the latency communities (who have confirmed that AMD is never great for competitive games).

So my 5800x3d might gimp my gameplay a little as well as my weak GPU, my monitor is still my favorite choice for competitive games, but I'm in the middle of checking out my electrics, my wiring and setting up seperate sockets for my PC's power and my monitors power all seperately wired. I'm just about to leave the house to grab a new router which does NOT have the puma 6 chipset which is supposedly defect which might improve my experience even further.

Altogether the 5800x3d was the main cause for these issues, one day to the next micro stuttering has disappeared... Out of thin air, no changes except for constantly trying out different options in BIOS and different Windows configuration. I must've reinstalled windows 20 times since this post has been made.

Regardless, hardware is in one way definitely the way forward, but whoever recommends this CPU is in my opinion wrong (with the assumption that nothing is weirdly wrong since the PC shows to be fine).

As far as I know, strong enough GPU for Apex and a strong enough CPU with latency in mind, further contributions might lie in extremely tight ram timings, might actually be the best contributor.

woland

Post by woland » 25 Nov 2022, 11:50

Have a seperate instance of Windows just for gaming with minimal installations and follow fr33thy's guides for optimization.

Don't do any of the registry timer tweaks, don't worry about forcing the game into exclusive full screen mode. Apex is pretty well optimized at this point, you dont need to do anything special.

I play with a 3080ti so I keep my fps unlocked.
Silver wrote:
31 May 2022, 08:34
Past 179 FPS, game engine and optimization issues start to take place in Apex Legends, so it is recommended to cap your FPS at 180, though values between 170-180 might also be worth testing. You'll want to go into Nvidia control panel and create a custom resolution that is 1080p at 180Hz so that you can match your FPS to your Refresh rate for improved clarity. Beyond that, I would try using Nvidia's Low Latency settings if you have enough horsepower to spare.
This was true a long time ago, but had been fixed. There are currently no issues past 180.

axaro1

Post by axaro1 » 28 Nov 2022, 08:28

peak wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 07:17
one day to the next micro stuttering has disappeared...
Regardless, hardware is in one way definitely the way forward, but whoever recommends this CPU is in my opinion wrong (with the assumption that nothing is weirdly wrong since the PC shows to be fine).
I also had stutters in Apex with a 5800x3d but disabling Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling completely fixed this issue (I assume it happens because, even with Reflex ON, when your gpu ends up reaching 98-99% utilization it is not efficient to also have it handle the scheduler), alternatively I've seen people disable the TPM module to get rid of stutters.

I'm also forcing Resizeable Bar with the Nvidia Profile Inspector paired with launching the game in DX12.

as for the bios I have CPPC enabled, CPPC preferred cores disabled, C-states OFF (still boost to the max but some motherboard report not boosting over 3.4ghz with it disabled), Cool & quiet off, 102mhz BCLK and I'm running some 3733mhz cl16 Hynix CJR with a RTX3080 on a cheap B350.
XL2566K* | XV252QF* | LG C1* | HP OMEN X 25 | XL2546K | VG259QM | XG2402 | LS24F350[RIP]
*= currently owned

MONITOR: XL2566K custom VT: https://i.imgur.com/ylYkuLf.png
CPU: 5800x3d 102mhz BCLK
GPU: 3080FE undervolted
RAM: https://i.imgur.com/iwmraZB.png
MOUSE: Endgame Gear OP1 8k
KEYBOARD: Wooting 60he

peak

Post by peak » 02 Dec 2022, 15:03

axaro1 wrote:
28 Nov 2022, 08:28
peak wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 07:17
one day to the next micro stuttering has disappeared...
I also had stutters in Apex with a 5800x3d but disabling Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling completely fixed this issue (I assume it happens because, even with Reflex ON, when your gpu ends up reaching 98-99% utilization it is not efficient to also have it handle the scheduler), alternatively I've seen people disable the TPM module to get rid of stutters.

I'm also forcing Resizeable Bar with the Nvidia Profile Inspector paired with launching the game in DX12.

as for the bios I have CPPC enabled, CPPC preferred cores disabled, C-states OFF (still boost to the max but some motherboard report not boosting over 3.4ghz with it disabled), Cool & quiet off, 102mhz BCLK and I'm running some 3733mhz cl16 Hynix CJR with a RTX3080 on a cheap B350.
Well, out of the blue everything is gone, for no reason. Every combination of settings and configurations tested more than once, all of the configurations are now different... I'd say it's "fixed" but there's more issues to be fixed that are way more complicated.