LG B7 and Desktop BFI

Discussion about 120fps HFR as well as future Ultra HFR (240fps, 480fps and 1000fps) playing back in real time on high refresh rate displays. See Ultra HFR HOWTO for bleeding edge experimentation.
Leemyoung

LG B7 and Desktop BFI

Post by Leemyoung » 08 Dec 2021, 18:23

Hello! First time poster here and I guess this a question for the software developer of desktopbfi or another software black frame insertion software….

I have been trying out the DesktopBFI software, which has worked great for 60hz on my LG b7a

I was wondering if it’s possible to change the interval to get an effective 48hz or 72hz from the 120hz signal with the software?

I was able to do this with my Plasma as it interprets 24fps content at 48hz and it pulses the images, but I would love to do something similar with my OLED even though it doesn’t have hardware BFI.

Basically I really like watching 24fps content at 48hz or 72hz with BFI because it reminds me more of what I see at the cinema.

If anyone can help me with this, I’d really appreciate it and I’m hoping some other people will find it useful too. Thanks!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: LG B7 and Desktop BFI

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Dec 2021, 18:28

Hey,

Have you tried Special K's new black frame insertion feature? That's a new one that just came out. It only functions during games rather than the WIndows desktop.

As for 72Hz, you need to create a custom 144Hz mode. Does your LG support 144Hz?
As for 48Hz, you need to create a custom 96Hz mode. Does your LG support 96Hz?
(probably not)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Leemyoung

Post by Leemyoung » 08 Dec 2021, 20:05

Hello and thank you for your response! Also I apologize as I definitely posted this in the wrong category...

I have used special K before, but not for this application. Although I didn't mention this in my initial post, I would like to use it when watching movies.

I'm pretty sure by LG B7A only does 120hz although I would be happy to be wrong.

Is there a way to have something like DesktopBFI black out something other than half the frames on a 120hz only monitor (like for 48fps more black frames or for 72hz less black frames) ?
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 18:28
Hey,

Have you tried Special K's new black frame insertion feature? That's a new one that just came out. It only functions during games rather than the WIndows desktop.

As for 72Hz, you need to create a custom 144Hz mode. Does your LG support 144Hz?
As for 48Hz, you need to create a custom 96Hz mode. Does your LG support 96Hz?
(probably not)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 12 Dec 2021, 18:13

Leemyoung wrote:
08 Dec 2021, 20:05
Is there a way to have something like DesktopBFI black out something other than half the frames on a 120hz only monitor (like for 48fps more black frames or for 72hz less black frames) ?
120 is not divisible by 48 or 72.

However, 120 is divisible by 5 so you could do 1:4, 2:3, 3:2 or 4:1 black frame insertion with 24fps cinema material but it would flicker very badly, like 48Hz. You could use 144Hz to double-strobe 48Hz in a cadence of 1:2:1:2 or 2:1:2:1 ON:OFF:ON:OFF

Unfortunately, neither DesktopBFI nor SpecialK supports this.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!