Convert 120fps slomo phone videos into 120fps realtime!

Discussion about 120fps HFR as well as future Ultra HFR (240fps, 480fps and 1000fps) playing back in real time on high refresh rate displays. See Ultra HFR HOWTO for bleeding edge experimentation.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Convert 120fps slomo phone videos into 120fps realtime!

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jun 2017, 13:18

Hello,

In the past, Blur Busters posted two webpages:
- 120fps HFR Videos
- World's first HTML-embedded 120fps gameplay video

Now with the upcoming 120Hz iPads, I think 120fps realtime videos will become MUCH more popular. Hopefully YouTube will support uploaders that upload 120fps realtime videos. The new iPad will force this to happen, hopefully. It would not be surprised that the new 120Hz iPad (which can do 120fps slow-motion videos too) will also be made to support recording to 120fps HFR realtime files at least by third-party apps.

Meanwhile:

You can convert your Android/iPhone 120fps slow-motion videos into true 120fps real-time videos with this ffmpeg command line:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i SLOWMOTION120.mp4 -r 120 -vf "setpts=(1/4)*PTS" -an REALTIME120.mp4
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Convert 120fps slomo phone videos into 120fps realtime!

Post by RealNC » 07 Jun 2017, 13:45

I think this converts 60FPS slow-mo videos to 120FPS real-time. Otherwise the result would be 240FPS?
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Convert 120fps slomo phone videos into 120fps realtime!

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Jun 2017, 14:16

RealNC wrote:I think this converts 60FPS slow-mo videos to 120FPS real-time. Otherwise the result would be 240FPS?
No... Slow-mo 120fps is played back at 30 frames per second, quarter-speed slow motion playback. That's been the way slow-motion 120fps has been standardized over the years on iPhones and Galaxy phones, and many phone brands have copycatted the quarter-rate slow-motion.

For the last 3 years, the two most popular smartphones -- iPhone and Galaxy phones -- have a slow-motion video mode that actually captures a full, complete 120 frames per second, and save them to a video file that plays back at 30 frames per second. This preserves the full temporal resolution of 120 frames, no fake frames, and it is possible to turn it into realtime true 120 frames per second with a simple ffmpeg command line:

So you want to speed up the video by 4x:

ffmpeg -i SLOWMOTION120.mp4 -r 120 -vf "setpts=(1/4)*PTS" -an REALTIME120.mp4

The 1/4 in the command line speeds up 30 frames per second to 120 frames per second.
Now upon playback, you have 1 frame per refresh cycle, with ultra-smooth HFR video motion.
Also, if you have 240fps slow-motion videos playing at 30fps, the command line to make them play at 240fps on a 240Hz monitor is:

ffmpeg -i SLOWMOTION240.mp4 -r 240 -vf "setpts=(1/8)*PTS" -an REALTIME240.mp4

That said, I've not tested 240fps realtime video playback...Yet.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!