Re: How to make a 480fps @ 480Hz video!? [Success!]

Discussion about 120fps HFR as well as future Ultra HFR (240fps, 480fps and 1000fps) playing back in real time on high refresh rate displays. See Ultra HFR HOWTO for bleeding edge experimentation.
yhlee

Post by yhlee » 25 Apr 2018, 12:28

@RealNC: I've tried to loop with L, and still it blinks at the end of the video. (It's fine for me though.)

@lexlazootin: Great! I guess it works for all games based on source engine? PS. The link is terminated.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Apr 2018, 13:41

lexlazootin wrote:I used the startmovie command that exports bmp files, i know how to stitch them up so it's not a problem. Yalter has a plugin that you can export directly into x264 with the setting you want, it works via ffmpeg but he made it only for Linux and hes not the type of person that will make something for windows if he doesn't have to :lol:
It's insane we still have to spray 480 screenshots per second to disk, just to create a proper 480fps video for a 480Hz monitor. There's no other workflows that work... Almost 1000 files on disk in 2 seconds. Thank goodness SSDs exist today so it's doable.

But nobody else outside of Blur Busters is doing much UltraHFR experiments (for a decade or two). It's almost still the PONG era of UltraHFR where we have to do things by hand.
lexlazootin wrote:I made another in the correct resolution and on x264, it's probably a lot easier to decode.
Thanks, I'm going to try that once I'm back at my Zisworks (480Hz) monitor.

It's insane to see blurless sample-and-hold (with no interpolation and no flicker). Practically CRT clarity without strobing / blur reduction needed.

P.S. If you're going to keep recording more 480fps gameplay stuff, add one more video with more sideways fast-strafing past various high-contrast objects and vertical-edges (e.g. ends of walls etc) so I can watch moving edges in a TestUFO-style manner.
P.P.S. Link stopped working. Maybe a Dropbox or Google Drive link? (You get a few gigabytes of GDrive with GMAIL for free).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 25 Apr 2018, 23:04

It's insane we still have to spray 480 screenshots per second to disk, just to create a proper 480fps video for a 480Hz monitor. There's no other workflows that work... Almost 1000 files on disk in 2 seconds. Thank goodness SSDs exist today so it's doable.
I playback demos and record with makemovie, the makemovie command you can specify the framerate and it will just slowdown the demo to compensate. This is a game made in 1998 were the demos are spot on, and has all of these capture methods... i'm pretty impressed how well it works for being one of the first and doing it so right.
Great! I guess it works for all games based on source engine?
Yep :P
If you're going to keep recording more 480fps gameplay stuff, add one more video with more sideways fast-strafing past various high-contrast objects and vertical-edges (e.g. ends of walls etc) so I can watch moving edges in a TestUFO-style manner.
P.P.S. Link stopped working.
High fps footage is fun, ill make some more. I must of copied the wrong link, should work now.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Apr 2018, 23:10

lexlazootin,

I played the video in MPV. It's definitely winner winner chicken dinner.

MVP plays the UltraHFR gameplay video perfectly, true 480fps on true 480Hz, no framedrops!

Never seen a gameplay video that smooth before.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

POVHFR Videos

Post by POVHFR Videos » 27 Apr 2018, 01:24

Hi, I'm POVHFR Videos. I make my videos at resolutions of to 480fps or even 960fps at 1080p on a laptop ($500). Here is how.
1. I use blender 2.78 to slow down my videos to 15fps from 240fps in 1080p or 720p. How I do that is by going to the Screen Layout little icon and selecting Video Editing. (Blender can go up to 1500fps actually!!!)

2. Going to Properties on the little icon to the left the frame rate of the video would read if the video was shot at 1080p240 'Custom Frame Rate: 239.76fps, FPS: 24 /: 0.100) and selecting the '0.100' and bringing that section to 1.6 which automatically makes your video 15fps from 240fps (So PotPlayer can interpolate your video to 30fps on even a budget laptop, which I use)

3. I then select the teal green track and delete that track, as this is the audio track which you can use from you video later. I then change in the 'Frame Range:' section to the number of frames the video has. You also have to select the 'PNG' tab and the setting should list under movie H.264, you click that and then select RGB, and then select the settings under 'Encoding', which gives you how high quality your video can be up to in Kbit/s.

4. I then export the video by clicking 'Animation'.

5. After the video saves (Which is in the Properties setting listed as 'Output: /tmp\' or which ever location you choose, play that video in PotPlayer and select the S/W decoder.

6. I then click on Video Effects > Motion Blur which automatically doubles the frame rate of that video. :)
I record the video using Alt + C at 1080p at 30fps in .mkv format or .mp4 which records the interpolated video. (Please make sure that there isn't too fast action so there aren't artifacts).

7. I use blender 2.78 again to speed up the video to 1080p 480fps by going to 'Properties' on the left little icon above the video editing sequence. You repeat the process earlier except now depending on how blender reads the video frame rate (sometimes double the frame rate of the video) in which case you have to select the video track (dark blue) and click Add and click Effect Strip and click speed control, which then you multiply your speed to 2.00.
But if your video reads as normal speed (The one you recorded in PotPlayer), you should have double the amount of frames.

8. You simply add the video you originally shot and the delete the video track and move the audio track down from channel 3 to 2.
You use the same method as up above.

9. The frame rate would be 30fps, you then put in 48fps under custom frame rate and change the decimal section from 1.000 to 0.100 and BOOM you have 480fps!

10. If you have the audio and video sync up (The Audio and Video should start at frame 1 and should be the same number ex: 2377), then you put the amount of frames you have in your video stream and the click Animation (Based on Steps 2 to 4). And your video should be 1080p at 480.01fps.

11. I use NCH VideoPad Video Editor which I myself am to this day still getting aquainted with, and import the video that I used with blender into VideoPad.

12. After all the effects and fade ins that you want, when you export your clip, click Detect, and VideoPad will automatically select your frame rate (Usually up to 1000fps), and you can choose whatever resolution you want with that ultra-high frame rate!

13. Your have a quality High Frame Rate video with effects and all at which ever resolution you saved! :D :D

I have a YouTube channel where you can see my footage results from this 13 step method for HFR Video!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbevNF ... oaotMoQMpw

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Apr 2018, 09:48

POVHFR Videos wrote:Your have a quality High Frame Rate video with effects and all at which ever resolution you saved! :D :D

I have a YouTube channel where you can see my footage results from this 13 step method for HFR Video!

Nice "UltraHFR" workflow solution!!

Do you have an original 1080p240fps HFR video file in an .mp4 file format I can download?
I'd like to play this on my 240Hz monitor.

Unfortunately, YouTube seems to be downconverting to 60fps, so the framerate seems to be decimated (is there an undocumented flag that forces YouTube to play the original bitstream/framerate? I have not found one.). I'd love to see the original 240fps material in the original non-YouTube format.

POVHFR Videos

Post by POVHFR Videos » 27 Apr 2018, 23:46

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
POVHFR Videos wrote:Your have a quality High Frame Rate video with effects and all at which ever resolution you saved! :D :D

Nice "UltraHFR" workflow solution!!

Do you have an original 1080p240fps HFR video file in an .mp4 file format I can download?
I'd like to play this on my 240Hz monitor.

Unfortunately, YouTube seems to be downconverting to 60fps, so the framerate seems to be decimated (is there an undocumented flag that forces YouTube to play the original bitstream/framerate? I have not found one.). I'd love to see the original 240fps material in the original non-YouTube format.
I'll work on getting a 240fps raw video uploaded for download, I'm just trying to figure out which website I should use as these videos are usually 2 - 6 GB in size. I also just shot some new 240fps video today for interpolation to 480fps then to 960fps! :) :)
Once again thank you so much for replying, you got me influenced on getting off of 60hz in 2012 ;)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Apr 2018, 11:45

Do you have a 1TB annual cloud subscription anywhere? Those cost only $99 a year, and are very good for sharing large video files like these. Even a free 10GB cloud account could allow me to rehost the file.

We are considering some solutions for UltraHFR video files.

Questin, what is the highest resolution you can play realtime 240fps? 480fps? What GPU?

POVHFR Videos

Post by POVHFR Videos » 28 Apr 2018, 18:57

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Do you have a 1TB annual cloud subscription anywhere? Those cost only $99 a year, and are very good for sharing large video files like these. Even a free 10GB cloud account could allow me to rehost the file.

We are considering some solutions for UltraHFR video files.

Questin, what is the highest resolution you can play realtime 240fps? 480fps? What GPU?
I have a few portable hard drives dating to 2014, and just brought a 4TB hard drive for $99. I am working on uploading some of my work onto Degoo for now (If It Works), because my Google Drive is full :cry: . I'll consider over the next month or two the 1TB annual cloud subscription.
On my Dell laptop, I have the monitor overclocked successfully to 108hz using CRU, and can play 720p 240fps in windowed mode realtime ;) . I generally watch my videos at 0.45x speed to match the 108hz/fps setting. My laptop has an Intel i3, I have to learn more about GPU's and what they do more so.
I can play up to 480fps at 480p resolution in window mode as well, :D and up to 960fps but only in 176x144 or 320x240...

Here is a video I took back in 2016 head mounted with my Sony X1000v action cam, which takes crisp clear stereo audio at 240fps! This is an actual video at 720p at 239.76fps
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Ijyy ... sp=sharing

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Apr 2018, 19:45

Just downloaded.

EDIT:
It plays amazingly smoothly on my 240Hz monitor at only 18% CPU! Just very slightly dizzying because of the head movements (a solid mount for future, perhaps?) -- Eventually I'd love to see a future 480fps video at 960x540p that's simply a horizontal pan looking out sideways, non-shaky video solid mounted to vehicle -- should look relatively clear (1/8th the motion blur of 60fps video) when displayed at 480Hz.

My GeForce GTX 1080 Ti has no problems playing 720p 240fps realtime at full speed in MPV and Windows Media Player.

MPV: Plays 720p 240fps UltraHFR fine
Windows Media Player: Plays 720p 240fps UltraHFR fine
Google Chrome embedded player: Plays 720p 240fps UltraHFR fine

VLC: Plays but microstutters too much
FireFox embedded player: Plays but microstutters too much

Both FireFox and VLC plays full speed but it microstutters too much -- it's not framepacing the frames perfectly onto the refresh cycles.

I don't think I'd have a problem playing 1080p 480fps with MPV on it, since it can play 8K60. Which is similiar bitrate as 1080p960.